• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

waxing your balls!

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
You know that feeling of a new golf ball how they feel so smooth and even a little slippery (for lack of a better word/vocabulary)? I think i remember one golf ad from topflight even touting some finish coating they apply to the ball to achieve such a slippery feeling.

(1) has anybody here ever applied some type of wax to their older balls to regain this slippery feeling or to shine them up a bit? if so, what kind of wax would do it?

(2) wouldnt applying some type of wax to a ball help acheive better distance? it seems like it would take some of the spin off of it. now, i realize what i'm saying may be edging over into a rules violation. i dont think its legal to apply a foreign substance to the ball or the club head. (in my very young golf days, we used to spit on the club face to make it "knuckleball" so it would roll farther. we were just kids learning the game, it seemed natural.)
but, if it was being done simply to get the ball back to its original condition, that seems like it would be ok. i have a couple of thousand found balls and i'm looking for a way to return the luster to their finish.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The D2 Straight, from topflite, had some funky coating. Eracer loved them, I think. In my opinion, flakes of the grease were getting into his central nervous system and affecting his perception of the ball :)

It would indeed be against the rules to apply a foreign substance to the club/ball.

The "coating" I notice out of the box is usually very tacky, not slippery. The Tour i/iX are the grippiest golf balls I've ever felt out of the box.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Hmm, haven't tried waxing them. They did get trimmed a bit yesterday before surgery though.

And no there are no pics.:needpics:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hmm, haven't tried waxing them. They did get trimmed a bit yesterday before surgery though.

And no there are no pics.:needpics:

Because it'd take the hubble telescope to be able to see your wee-pubes.

No, I've never waxed balls because it'd be against the rules, and to me, not necessary. :)

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
See--Wi beat me to it!

awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_plus1.gif
<--- Another one for Jeff

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
(1) has anybody here ever applied some type of wax to their older balls to regain this slippery feeling or to shine them up a bit? if so, what kind of wax would do it?

Being a proud owner of "older balls", I resent the insinuation I would require the use of any artificial enhancements!!:biglol:
Any coating that would differ from what the OEM presented for USGA testing would render the balls non-conforming and unable to be used in tourney or handicap play. That said, buy some "wash and wax" for autos. Mix a small bucket in water, double the recommended strength. Dump is some balls and swish them around. They should come out all glimmery. (I honestly don't believe any appreciable distance enhancement would be seen. I really don't believe the physics of ballistics would show much reduction in drag, even with a "waxed" cover.)

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
In the book Who's Your Caddy Rick Reily caddied for a high-roller golf gambler out in Vegas and he said they all applied Vaseline to their driver faces to reduce the spin. Might be easier than trying to wax your old balls.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
In the book Who's Your Caddy Rick Reily caddied for a high-roller golf gambler out in Vegas and he said they all applied Vaseline to their driver faces to reduce the spin. Might be easier than trying to wax your old balls.

Although this is probably one of the stupidest movies I have ever heard of in a loooooonnnggggg while, theoretically the lip balm and whatnot to the clubface does work.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Jeff, the book is not related at all to the movie. The book is about Rick Reilly (SI writer) caddying for several prominent golfers in the world- some of whom are actually prominent in GOLF, and some of whom are prominent in... other areas.

See: Deepak Chopra.

It's a very entertaining read. The movie shares the title by coincidence.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ahahaha, I actually knew that, but wife was talking to me so my mind went straight to movie.

What makes it worse is the book is sitting in my shelf...right next to me.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Ahahaha, I actually knew that, but wife was talking to me.....

As the years go by, you'll learn to perfect the art of completely shutting out a wife's voice/chatter/nagging. Of course, mine's caught on. She say I hear fine... I just don't listen!!!!:bang:

LGL

Jan 26, 2009
i have a couple of thousand found balls and i'm looking for a way to return the luster to their finish.

I think I read somewhere once that golf balls have a shelf life of about 12 months. Not sure if it's true or not.

I knew an old guy who used to put a blob of lipstick on the handle of his golf cart and before every shot he'd rub a little lipstick on his clubface to see where exactly he'd struck the ball. Takes all sorts!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
As the years go by, you'll learn to perfect the art of completely shutting out a wife's voice/chatter/nagging. Of course, mine's caught on. She say I hear fine... I just don't listen!!!!:bang:
Irishman driving home from the bar gets pulled over. Cop asks if he knows why he is being pulled over, and he replies "I assume because I was swerving". Cop says "No, back 3 swerves ago your wife fell out of the car". Irishman say "Oh my gosh, thank you lad, I thought I had gone deaf"

BTW Limp, the reason why she knows you don't listen is because after being married that amount of time they learned to ask a question at the end of every conversation. Likely one that can only have a "NO" response, and you having the conditioned response of bobbing your head up and down while hearing her voice is not only a sure sign you are not listening, but are wrong and must admit your stupidity for gesturing "YES". Although the question was likely "Are you stupid and always wrong?"
;)

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I can't imagine why anyone would want their golf balls to be slippery anyway. Don't you want some spin when it lands on the green? You also need some backspin even off the driver to get the ball airborne and to allow the dimples to achieve their aerodynamic effect. No spin equals knuckleball equals shorter drives with unpredictable results. Severely reduced spin on iron shots equals poor distance control.

IMO if you want reduced spin choose a cheap 2 piece ball that's designed with that in mind. :thumbs up:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Gah, she already busts my balls for not listening to her, guess I'll just have to do it more.

🔥 Latest posts