• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

We could use some rain...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This is a weird thing to say in an area that gets tons of rain every year - but frankly - we're dry now.

My yard actually needs to be watered.

We've had a cool, dry spring. The greens have loved it and they are in great shape. Our warm weather only started about a week ago but we still have not had much rain...

As much as I hate rain - our course could use a good soaking right now. Out in the rough (where the irrigation doesn't reach) it's getting a little parched.

My next round is Sunday morning - hopefully we'll get some this afternoon or tonight. Supposed to be a nice weekend with highs around 81F/27C and I will be playing in the morning...

Anybody else out there need some rainfall??

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Yeah, were due. A big storm missed us last weekend and there is nothing in the forecast.

Looks like my time to make fun of our friends to the north is coming to an end. This weeks forecast is very boring. Low 70, High 90 for the next seven days. Summer is here a little early this year, thank goodness we have an easement that lets us water our yard from the lake.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
We were in need--it had been maybe 3 weeks without any real rain, and I had begun watering on Tuesday. However, it began raining last night, and will continue through this evening. It looks like we'll get at least an inch.

And thundershowers are predicted for the next week or so, with a break on Sunday.

So the old adage appears to be true--when it rains it pours....

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
We're getting rain today, moving out this afternoon. Maybe it's headed your way, B?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
We had just under an inch on Wednesday, another inch or so expected tommorrow. Made the greens receptive and my lawn super green.

Great timing too, as I had just weed n' feeded my lawn and it looks fantastic right now. If I could get the mower low enough, maybe I could putt on it... :)

R35

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
It's rained here for the last 4 weeks straight it seems. I have been to the range 3 times and have played three times over that span. It has been a terrible spring in the upper midwest.

The course I 'played' this morning was a bog. A few of the swings I took sprayed my shoes and shins with mud. Just disgusting. We need to dry out here for a few weeks.

~QQ

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Quentin said:
....sprayed my shoes and shins with mud. Just disgusting. We need to dry out here for a few weeks.
~QQ

It's worse when it happens sitting on the toilet.... :biglol:

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
Great timing too, as I had just weed n' feeded my lawn and it looks fantastic right now. If I could get the mower low enough, maybe I could putt on it... :)

R35

There's a guy in our neighborhood who sodded his entire yard with the grass as our fairways. He even bought the pull behind mower attachement so he could cut it real tight.

It looks pretty cool but he has to mow his yard 2 to 3 times per week. No thanks to that, once a week is plenty.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If it gets that far, i just let 'er buck.

You can always buy new pants. :p

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Quentin said:
It's rained here for the last 4 weeks straight it seems. I have been to the range 3 times and have played three times over that span. It has been a terrible spring in the upper midwest.

The course I 'played' this morning was a bog. A few of the swings I took sprayed my shoes and shins with mud. Just disgusting. We need to dry out here for a few weeks.

~QQ

How was the back?

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Very tight. I played one of my worst rounds ever and was considering walking off the course. But, it was fairly nice out so I just had a fun time regardless of score.

Which was 9. That's right 9 points. Every par 4 was a par 5 to me today. Bogeys were double bogeys (Hey Rock, is that 'bogie' in Canada?). Hadn't hit a pop-up tee shot in about a year. Hit two of them today. No sky marks though so that was good.

Long story short, I was all arms today. You can do the math.

~QQ

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I guess this brings up one of the Negatives of being a club member...

About five years ago we had a very long drought. It did not rain much at all for about two months in July and August. You can imagine what things looked like down here with all the heat...

Then the usual government-imposed watering bans came into play. They'd fine you for watering your lawn etc.

The source of water for our course was "city water". We bought water just like everyone else, homeowners, businesses etc.

Before the ban came into play - our water bill for one month was $20,000 - just trying to keep the course alive. We were lucky that the drought ended about three weeks after the ban was enacted and that the greens did not die. Putting in new bentgrass greens costs several hundred thousand dollars if you lose them completely as you must go down to the subsoil and go back upward...

After the drought ended, we decided that we could not take the chance on this happening again - so we decided to put in a pond.

So here come the bulldozers...digging out a two acre pond, that was previously flat ground. Then, driving all the way across the front nine to dump the dirt. It tore the crap out of the golf course...

The cost? $500,000. This was being done at the same time the course was getting a "makeover" - tees extended, bunkers moved etc. We spent about $3M on this one.

So here comes the fun of being a club member: Your Assessment: $2500 per member. Cough up the check or put it on payments...

And yes the course looks great now - the super will unhesitatingly throw water all over it. But still it is probably not worth the money to me. If I had not been a member for so long - I would probably quit...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Quentin said:
Long story short, I was all arms today. You can do the math.

~QQ

That's why I mentioned the shoulder turn yesterday. I have to pay close attention to this on every shot or I get armsy too.

Members online

No members online now.