• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

We just got TopTracer at our range

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was at my local range last night to swat a few. They just got a new TopTracer system in. It was all new last night, staff were running around trying to help people get going. I must say, it is impressive. Instant data, quite consistent. I did notice that the yardages were out and spoke to the pro about it. I normally crank my 6-iron ~165-170 and I was only getting about 150 off this. He said they will collect 2-3 weeks of data and then calibrate it to correct for range balls, temperature etc. It was the same price last night as usual, but I see an uplift coming. The future of golf? My guess is that a lot of golfers don't hit it as far as they usually do (like me, LOL!!). I don't really mind if it is out, as long as it is consistent. I'm normally quite good with distance control.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think the recalibration bit will allow for the range balls. I think they generally fly 10-15% less than standard balls.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Interesting scenario last night on the Top Tracer at the range. It is still new and has yet to be calibrated. I was hitting my Driver with range balls and getting some pretty consistent numbers. I was carrying my driver ~210 yards and getting about 20 yards roll out with ~140mph ball speed. In my bucket of range balls, there was a Callaway ball. I hit it and saw my numbers rise to 235 yards carry, 260 total and ~144mph ball speed.

So what, I hear you ask? Well, the pick-up in ball speed was not that noticable. But the carry and total numbers were massively up. It just goes to show how range balls work. They are about 85% limited on total distance. I imagine they will calibrate the system to allow for 10-15% on top to give more realistic numbers.

I spoke to the pro. He said they might need to get a resident osteopath. Since the system was installed lots of guys have been busting themselves to hit their numbers, citing that the system was screwed!! :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I probably haven't hit a full bucket of range balls in 5 years. Some years ago, did go the a range after work. Guys whale away, just seeing how far they can hit a ball. Why?
When I do grab a few range balls, my goal is to hone consistency in both distance and direction. See if I can drop a half dozen balls in the same spot with the same club. On the course, I know how far I hit each club, based on my GPS. Driver??? Playing 98% of my golf on a heavily tree-lined course, it's more about hitting a fairway than hitting it a mile.
We just purchased another 500 dozen range balls. IIRC, we've gone through 1,500 dozen this year. They get damaged by the picking machine and/or mowers. People run off with them. Still don't know where the rest go. But, our range quadruples in revenue what we spend on it each year. This year we rebuild our picker with new rollers and baskets. And, we just ordered a new dispenser control that will take credit cards. The picker parts ran about $5,000 and the dispenser control, $7,100. We're sitting about about $75,000 in driving range revenue with 70ish % of the year gone.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I probably haven't hit a full bucket of range balls in 5 years. Some years ago, did go the a range after work. Guys whale away, just seeing how far they can hit a ball. Why?
When I do grab a few range balls, my goal is to hone consistency in both distance and direction. See if I can drop a half dozen balls in the same spot with the same club. On the course, I know how far I hit each club, based on my GPS. Driver??? Playing 98% of my golf on a heavily tree-lined course, it's more about hitting a fairway than hitting it a mile.
We just purchased another 500 dozen range balls. IIRC, we've gone through 1,500 dozen this year. They get damaged by the picking machine and/or mowers. People run off with them. Still don't know where the rest go. But, our range quadruples in revenue what we spend on it each year. This year we rebuild our picker with new rollers and baskets. And, we just ordered a new dispenser control that will take credit cards. The picker parts ran about $5,000 and the dispenser control, $7,100. We're sitting about about $75,000 in driving range revenue with 70ish % of the year gone.
I'm sure wailing away on the driving range isn't much fun for guys that roll it up to the 180yd marker... :D

99% of my time at the range now-days is purely for fun. And yeah, seeing who can get the longest drive on the Top-Tracer monitor is fun!

I was actually just there last night for the first time in a while. I think they capped the driving distance at 299.9 because I landed several at 280ish and they rolled to 299.9, then I landed one at 295 that should have rolled a while and it still only rolled to 299.9 so I'm skeptical. On the same monitors the last time I was there, I was able to land one at 307 and roll it out to like 332 or something like that. That was a year ago, I wasn't able to muster a 300 on the fly yesterday.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Top Tracer is a lot of fun. Everything from target games, to virtual golf courses, long drive, and just simple practice mode where it tells you distance on the fly and roll out distance. Along with a view of your shot shape.

They were charging for it here at our range, but now it's free for everyone which is great. I like it, but I'm not going to pay extra for it. Especially when this place charges $14 for a large bucket.

🔥 Latest posts