• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge advice: J33 vs 588DSG

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm on the fence for new wedges. I have two problems; the wedges, and the lofts.

I've researched the bounce and such on both, so I know these are the angles I'm looking for. I like the look of the Cleveland 588 DSG more, and I do love me some cleveland products, but they're a bit more pricey than the Bridgestone J33. The J33 claims to have a "higher center of gravity" to increase spin. I don't really see the physics behind that, so does anyone have experience?

As for the other dilemma, I'm getting a new set of irons that will probably increase my 3i to the point of making it unnecessary, since I carry a 5W. If so, I would like 3 wedges after my 46 PW (52, 56, 60). But after I reshaft my 5w and 3w, the gap may widen again, and I'll only have room for 2 additional wedges. If so, I plan to go 54, 60.

So what are your opinions on the J33 and 588, and what do you recommend for the lofts themselves in my near-completion bag?

(New Irons are the MacGregor M565 with YS-Tech Graph. Design shafts, 3-PW (46*) )

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A high center of gravity should increase the ability to impart sidespin and actually help provide a lower/flatter trajectory. That would appeal to me as I went through quite a few wedges before finding one I could control with the low shot, I've got it with the Vokey's.

I'm not too keen on the factory sole grinds. I hated the one on the MP-R's, must have been the exact opposite of what was right for me. The exact same swing/strike that produced fat city with those is my 12ft. off the ground skip checker with the Vokey. I literally went from "god I hope I don't chunk this" to "if I can hit that spot with a little skip fade it might have a shot at dropping."

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Pretty interesting. I looked at the copper DSG at the sporting goods store the other day and it seemed nice. What I'm going for is basically a high and straight sticker. I've never felt like I needed to put side spin on a wedge shot, especially from within 20 yards. What sort of situations are you talking about?

GoodDay

Sep 22, 2006
If you like Cleveland and cost factors in, consider their 900 Tour Action models. Still in the bag of Vijay & a few other pros, bordering on "cult classic" status. I saw a few new ones still available at Martin's PGA Superstore in Myrtle the other day, so if you frown upon used, maybe you can still find them new, too.

I've had my 900 for 2 years now and love it -- 60* low bounce (6*) that I bent to 59* (5* bounce). Added lead tape to bring it to D5 so it matches the weight of of my high bounce Ping Tour 54* (bent to 53*).

Don't overlook bending to get the degree scheme you want. You may want to consider bounce and swingweight more too, IMHO.

With a 46* PW, you could bend a 54* 900 to 53* and carry a 60* 900 for a good gap scheme of 46-53-60. Cost-effective, too.

HTH...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Pretty interesting. I looked at the copper DSG at the sporting goods store the other day and it seemed nice. What I'm going for is basically a high and straight sticker. I've never felt like I needed to put side spin on a wedge shot, especially from within 20 yards. What sort of situations are you talking about?

Every sitution for me. I don't really hit too many straight shots. Everything is either an attempt to move it R to L or L to R. A slight fade on wedge will go higher and break right upon landing, I used to use this most often. Then I figured out how to impart a slight drawspin on the wedge shots and hit them low with high spin. I just added a 58* and this thing is going to open up a whole new array of shots. I almost holed out 3 times with it today... all 3 were tap ins within 2 feet.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Hitting draws is difficult for me, I think because I can't quite wrap my mind around the stance. Should your feet still be perpendicular to the target line, with the leading foot in front of the trailing? Or should they be perpendicular to the line of your feet, which would put them at different angles in relation to the target line?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I simply aling slightly right of my target. I have trouble hitting draws with my driver, little easier with the FW's and the hybrid. Irons I have no trouble at all.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

You want high and straight? Look at the Mizuno MP-T. Insane launch angle with great distance control. I've got a 53-deg. you can have for a song. PM me if interested.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online