• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge carrying thoughts

What wedges to carry

• Total voters

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I voted 48/52/56, I play 46/52/56 and see no reason to change a thing.

OP
cyberious

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
53 and 59 :laugh: Zodia's.

But only after you've tried 12 different shafts in each :biglol:

Sorry but EZ I think I've just realized that you may be a bigger shaft HO than actual club HO.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I voted 48/52/56, I play 46/52/56 and see no reason to change a thing.

Same thinking here. My PW is 47, GW is 51 and SW is 55. I also have a 59 LW that I practice with and hit well but I don't want to toss anything else out of the bag to carry it instead.

Once about every 5-6 rounds I find myself wishing I had the LW in the bag but then I get over it, man up and hit a brilliant shot with one of the wedges I do carry. :D

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Your PW is 44*? Jeesus...

R35

My cobra S9 PW is 44* as well. I guess this is how Cobra advertise's the "extra distance" part. :laugh:

Currently carrying:

44*
50*
56*
60*

I've been having better success with the 60* wedge from sand over the 56*. Not sure why. I tend to skull sand shots with my 56*. Might end up taking it out of the bag.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
My cobra S9 PW is 44* as well. I guess this is how Cobra advertise's the "extra distance" part. :laugh:

Currently carrying:

44*
50*
56*
60*

I've been having better success with the 60* wedge from sand over the 56*. Not sure why. I tend to skull sand shots with my 56*. Might end up taking it out of the bag.

higher bounce on the sw likely...

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Since my pw is a 45* I also went with a 50*, 54*, and 58*. I like having different degrees of bounce. My 54 is high bounce and the 58 is low. I use all of these wedges at least a couple of times per round. I could probably get by without the 50 or 58 but had the room in my bag since I have no need for an extra wood or hybrid.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If I was a bomber and had a huge club distance gap I'd go with multiple wedges but I'm not. I only need the PW and 56º. :)

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Vokey, Gap 52, Sand 56 and Lob 60 - along with my Mizuno PW (assume that is either 48 or 50)

I actually have 2 60's depending on the weather that day, a 4 degree and 8 degree bounce. I do find that I get on with the 4 degree so much more consistently these days.

...and I couldn't live without my 60, flop shot galore :D

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I just had a thought about wedges. I have carried as many as 4 wedges at one time. Now I'm starting to think maybe I should just go back to the old model and carry 2 wedges (Pitching and Sand 48* and 56*). I can mostly do everything that I do with my 52* with my pitching wedge and the same goes for my lob wedge vs. my sand wedge. When I first started oh 30 odd years ago I had to work with what was available since Gap wedges weren't the in thing. What does everyone else think?

In the poll I actually meant to put for choice 2 a 48*, 52* and 58* It woildn't let me change it.

Get 4 wedges. 70 percent of your shots are made within a hundred yards of the green, and your chances of hitting the green with a long iron/fairway wood are pretty slim, anyway. The only thing keeping me from four wedges is unemployment and the resulting lack of money. :(

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007

Is the sand at your course hard? If so, it's because of the bounce - the club's bouncing off the sand, and causing you to hit it super thin. I've hit my share of worm burners with a high bounce sand wedge (I eventually sold that one for about 12 bucks in change) - get a 58 with low bounce and have it bent to 56 if bounce is killing you.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Most instructors I know, and most pros advice I read in magazines, suggest 3 wedges. Pelz likes four but I don't like Pelz so....

S-

Members online

No members online now.