• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge carrying thoughts

What wedges to carry

• Total voters

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I voted for the 48, 52 and 56/58..... that's exactly what I carry. I have a 60 but don't remember every hitting in on the course. I've become pretty adept at the flop shot with a open sand wedge so I never really saw the need for a 60. A friend gave me his... it matched my set. Don't tell him I don't ever use it.

I am far from the norm when it comes to equipment. I own ZERO hybrids, and still carry a 1 iron to hit off the tee, or to try to reach a par 5 in two... so my wedge recommendation might work for me, but admittedly it is very 1990's or so.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i voted for the 4 wedges..my pw is 47..then i have a 52, 56, and 60....but i dont how long the 56* will be in the bag...unless its soft sand.....the 52 and 60 are gamers...

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
48, 52, 56SW, 60.
I rarely hit the 52 but for some strange reason, I am considering getting a Vokey SM in that loft. What is my problem?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
48 and 60 because when it come down to confidence I always pull the 48
and adjust my swing. To many wedges right now would only confuse me.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
I'm still learning my Gwedge 52, Swedge 56 is the goto club, and the Lwedge 60 is for going over that 25ft. tall tree that I'm 3ft. away from...:laugh:

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I rarely hit the 52 but for some strange reason, I am considering getting a Vokey SM in that loft. What is my problem?

One problem might be that the 'Spin Milled' Vokeys only go up to 54*... ;)

Andy299

Jul 16, 2007
47*, 53*, 59*

However in my opinion the first wedge's loft should be determined based on your 9 Iron loft and the distance gaps you wish for your clubs. The other one, two or three wedges (your choice) should be determined from there.

My 9 Iron has 42* loft, hence the lofts on my wedges. Also, depending on the type of sand is in your bunkers you are most likely to face should help you decide on the bounce on each. I can and will play with all three from bunkers, in fact I will use any irons if I think the lie in the bunker and the distance I need to hit the ball dictates a change.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
47*, 53*, 59*

However in my opinion the first wedge's loft should be determined based on your 9 Iron loft and the distance gaps you wish for your clubs. The other one, two or three wedges (your choice) should be determined from there.

My 9 Iron has 42* loft, hence the lofts on my wedges. Also, depending on the type of sand is in your bunkers you are most likely to face should help you decide on the bounce on each. I can and will play with all three from bunkers, in fact I will use any irons if I think the lie in the bunker and the distance I need to hit the ball dictates a change.

Great post and perfect advice IMHO.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been debating losing my PW for a 48* Vokey. I'm thinking since I have only 5-PW then delofting my entire set by 1-1 1/2* might work out better. Esentially my PW would become more my 9 iron.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I carry a set of Cleveland 588 gunmetals.....45*,51*,57* and 60*. But I believe that is gonna change as I am about to overhaul the bag after a fitting next week. As an explanation I have an extra spot in the bag so I carry the 60* as it has less bounce than the 57* and each can be used for different shots.

Jason

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
47*, 53*, 59*

good advice thats why i went with a 50,54,58.from what ive looked up on the net my pw is 45 maybe 46.

the whole reason im ditching the 52 for the 50 is so the gaps are more uniform.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
If I was a bomber and had a huge club distance gap I'd go with multiple wedges but I'm not. I only need the PW and 56º. :)

i dont consider myself a bomber buy any means i just like the option of hitting a full club fro 50,75,100.instead of trying to take a half or 3/4 swing.those shots kill me most the time.i also seem to be playing a little better since i added the 54,58 this season.instead of just the pw and 52.which has lost its spot to the 50 this weekend.thanks to GG.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.