• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wedge degree's

tommyt

Apr 24, 2005
Ok here is the engineering question of the day. I checked the specs for my sand wedge (cobra ) its 55 deg, so are most other sand wedges that match irons.
Cleveland classics has the same 55 deg; until you buy a wedge in the wedge sections then its 56 deg. I don't think I can measure 1 deg difference but why is this anomaly. And If I try the CC10's will I ever go back? or are they not as easy to hit as the std cobras ??
Boy am I glad I found this site!!! I have much more fun with research than before (but will I score better prob not)

Note all sets are p=45 g=50 s=55 lob=60,
Nice even distribution but go to the web page of same company and
p=46,48; g=50,52; s 54,56 lob 58 60

Is this so we can buy 8 wedges? I was happier when I thought with my std cobra SW and an old ping eye2 lob wedge I covered everything. When did this gap wedge come in? Can no one hit a partial wedge ? Now can I blame a miss by 10yds on having the wrong degree wedge? Would anyone believe me?? Do I get extra strokes?

Obviously I do not need a quick response.

tommyt

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
tommyt said:
I don't think I can measure 1 deg difference but why is this anomaly. And If I try the CC10's will I ever go back? or are they not as easy to hit as the std cobras ??

The CG10's are Cleveland's new offering. They are the real deal. In terms of measuring their hitting ease, they are sweet feeling wedges. As for measuring them up against your Cobras, that another story and one that everyone individually has to find out. Personally, I love Cleveland stuff, but in your hands, they might feel like crap. It's all in the hands of the user.

tommyt said:
Boy am I glad I found this site!!! I have much more fun with research than before (but will I score better, prob not)

Not all sets are p=45 g=50 s=55 lob=60,
Nice even distribution but go to the web page of same company and
p=46,48; g=50,52; s 54,56 lob 58 60

Is this so we can buy 8 wedges? I was happier when I thought with my std cobra SW and an old ping eye2 lob wedge I covered everything. When did this gap wedge come in? Can no one hit a partial wedge ? Now can I blame a miss by 10yds on having the wrong degree wedge? Would anyone believe me?? Do I get extra strokes?

tommyt

Wedges are easily bent to within a few degrees of their stated loft. But, if you want a specific gap between your clubs, you can tailor make pretty much any degree jump you want to. As a rule of thumb, the average joe would carry a 56* and a lob wedge 60* for his/her wedges. Now that being said, many people like to create a different wedge system, allowing for adjustability on the course. If you find yourself at 80 yards or less alot of the time, you may want to consider a higher lofted wedge if you have trouble "dropping down" your swing to accomodate that.

It's basically all about feel. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

I carry a 53*, a 56* and a 60* lob wedge. I don't carry my wedges all the far, but I hardly ever use my 60* for anything besides touch shots around the green. But that's me.

The fact that you carry two wedges and thought you "had everything covered" pretty much sums it up. If it works for you, keep it that way. No sense buying another wedge if you're happy with what you have.

Now, that being said, just wait til you start looking at bounce angles. That creates a whole new dimension that goes on and on and on....lol.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

R35

🔥 Latest posts