• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Grinding

Calhoun

Jul 30, 2007
I thought I would post my first attempt at grinding down my wedges. I have been wanting to buy a couple of custom scratch wedges with less bounce. I can't seem to justify spending that kind of money on a couple of wedges. Here are a couple of pics at my first attempt at grinding my own.

ai122.photobucket.com_albums_o268_bdholeman_IMG_0104.jpg

ai122.photobucket.com_albums_o268_bdholeman_IMG_0105.jpg

ai122.photobucket.com_albums_o268_bdholeman_IMG_0106.jpg

ai122.photobucket.com_albums_o268_bdholeman_IMG_0107.jpg

ai122.photobucket.com_albums_o268_bdholeman_IMG_0108.jpg

I started by hand filing. Then moved on to an orbital sander with 80 grit and progressed to 120 and then to 220. Finally I put the sander down and used some 400 grit to give it a nice satin finish. I know it looks kind of rough and I need to spend more time sanding but it was getting late. I am going to work on it more this weekend and test it out. I think I am going to end up taking more off in the long run, but I decided to take baby steps.

Watcha think?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You got bigger balls than i do to start grinding wedges....i would eff them up beyond belief...

Good job though, looks good enough to me.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
Looks like you have done a skillful job. Tell us how they feel and perform when hitting shots. What do you notice that is different.

You wedge looks good. Current designs have begun to scalop the back (trailing edge) a bit. I don't know what that actually does other than reduce the width of bounce in the center. You need bounce but just how much depends a great deal on your swing and what surface you will be hitting from. It is always a compromise if you want all four uses (maybe there are more): full shots, pitches and lobs, chips, and sand play.

I have to confess, I'm no expert... but, sometimes I choose between a 54 and a 60 based on the bounce I need, rather than just distance. In such cases I open the clubface more or less as a secondary factor to determine flight. Grasses and surfaces can play a big role on your decision making.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think you did a pretty nice job - some before pictures would be great if you have them though

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Solid work. I had a Mizuno that I tried this with but didn't have a finishing wheel/belt to get the soft finish on. In the raw state, it looked 100% fine after one round. I'd love a tad more heel relief in the 60*, as you've done here...

I wonder if I still have that wedge...

R35

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Nice job man!! on the same note as wedge grinding...Has anyone ever tried to regroove a wedge themselves...or know a good technique to do so? I was gonna take a dremel to my 60*...i know for sure i have the hands to do it ,so tha isnt a worry..but anyone been successful in such?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
.Has anyone ever tried to regroove a wedge themselves...or know a good technique to do so? I was gonna take a dremel to my 60*...i know for sure i have the hands to do it ,so tha isnt a worry..but anyone been successful in such?

you can probably do it, but it's very unlikely that the grooves would be conforming when you're done

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.