• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Length?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
How long are your wedges?

Currently, all of my wedges are the same length as my 9-iron but there are so many theories out there on proper wedge length I was wondering what everyone else thought?

According to Wishon, he beleives that your wedges should progress 1/2 inch shorter down to the last club you typically use a full swing on. For example, if you usually take a full swing with your GW, it would be 1 inch shorter than your 9 iron, a half inch shorter than you PW, and the same length as your SW and GW.

Other theories range from 1/4 inch changes from PW to LW, all wedges 1/2 inch shorter than the 9 iron, all wedges progress 1/2 inch shorter than the previous wedge, and there are probably more theories out there.

What wedge length do you play, and what theories do you buy into?

(I am still pondering wedge length for my upcoming set.)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Ping i3+ PW,GW,SW Ping Tour LW
9i 35.75"
PW 35.50"
UW 35.25"
SW 35.25"
LW 35.00"

Not sure I would have a big preference when talking about wedges. I would think I would prefer the heavier and stiffer feel of the shorter shaft. On the Flip side, although I have a predominent draw on my irons, and due to the shorter shaft I tend to come a little over the top on fuller wedge shots leading to a fairly consistent pull. I guess when you are only talking a 1/4" you could easily grip down as 1 wrap is equal to about 8-10 yards. I guess since I do fuller shots with my PW, GW, and SW I probably prefer the staggered length because my Gaps are consistent and I just aim a little right. Then again you could accomplish the same thing by altering the lofts and gain a higher trajectory.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I asked this question to several people and came away with this - it's your own decision.

I had the Wishon setup with my old wedges, but went with what more and more are trying - same length wedges. It sorta makes sense to have them all the same length, wouldn't you think? Plus 1/4" isn't gonna make that much a difference, eh?

I like the feel of the lob the same length as the GW. It just feels nice.

But as I said, to each their own.

R35

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I was kind of leaning toward 1/2 inch interval down to the PW and then keeping all the wedges the same. My largest distance gap still seems to be between my PW/GW with keeping all the wedges equal to the 9-iron.

Any other theories or practices out there?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The is no reason to change the length.a 48 will fly 110 to 120,and a 9 iron can be played at 3/4 for a 120 to 130,so why change it? The 48,53 and 56 are all the same length for a reason,the bag is balanced using loft.

🔥 Latest posts