• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wedge selection dilema

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
o.k. fellow shottalkers, I may need some help here. I bought some new irons and also bought a couple of new wedges. I am a little iffy 'bout the wedge situation though.

A little background into my thought process: I bought the tour w's because they are the natural progression from the s59's... same head size, etc. Also liked the milled face.

i-wedge is a little bigger, heavier, and more of a cavity design (throwback to the eye 2's). These catch my eye though. No pun intended.

I went into the shop with the intention of getting 52* and 58* not knowing exactly the diffs between the two wedges. After hemmin and hawin for a while and doing entirely too much thinking I walked out with the 52 and 56 tour w's. I originally thought that the 52 will fill the gap (obviously) and since I like lofted shots and don't really struggle with distance the 58 would be a good club to play a wide variety of shots with. Ya know, not a sw, but not quite a 60. I should mention that the reason I want two wedges instead of three is to open up a spot between 3w and 3i. Plus three wedges (4 including pw) is way too much to think about.

So, i'm thinkin 'bout goin back and trading the 56 for an i-wedge 58. Possibly even trading both for i 52 and 58. So now that you've read into my lunacy a bit... what say ya'll?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It really depends on your distance gaps. I carry a 51, 55, and 60. It's roughly 105, 95, and 85 with smooth swings. That's more important to me than having a club somewhere between my 3W, 18.5 hybrid, and 23* hyrbid. I use all my wedges every round. I can make the same chipping stroke and hit the ball 3 different distances. I like playing that way. And I end up with a higher percentage of approach shots demanding a full, smooth swing. Basically, if I can get the ball within 80-120 yards, I'm going to be able to put a full swing on the ball. That's what I want.

Of course, a textbook half swing, with three wedges, provides another group of numbers. As does a 3/4 swing. My 3 wedges account for about 9 clubs worth of stock shots in my bag, not including touch shots. I wouldn't trade that for a 2i or whatnot.

But it's all about how you want to play, brother. There's no RIGHT answer.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
2i is not a consideration for me. I made that mistake once. I'm thinkin more like 18* or so hybrid.

I generally don't have full approach shots with 55 or 56 sw. If I do i've layed up to there and I can always lay up to a different yardage. That's why I like the idea of the 52 being very close to the s59's in looks and feel. I do more often have approaches from 120 or so. The sw or lw more often than not would be use from just off the green or in the sand. I find myself wanting/needing lofted shots around the green. I'll hit the 58 around 90 (hit 60 around 80) so if i'm at the 100 yd marker I could choose clubs based on where the flag is. Not to mention I can always have the 58 sent to Ping and have it bent to 57 or whatever. At some point I may have them bent 1* flat anyways.

I'm also looking for an opinion on the i-wedge. I really like the looks and all of it. Every forum review i've read on it had one theme... so easy out of sand. Among other things. Anyone here have experience with the i-wedges?

Members online

No members online now.