• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge set makeup

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I have an idea, let's talk golf shit for a minute. As I've posted recently, I've been working on my short game (125 yards and in). I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm at the point where I'm trying to finalize the makeup of my wedges. I've played 48/52/56/60, 48/54/60, 48/53/58, and currently 47/51/56/60. For the most part I've tried to keep constant lofts, but I'm beginning to question that. I'm thinking to start at the lowest loft I'm comfortable in full swing. Right now that's the GW (47°). I've been successful full swinging my SW (somewhat), but not to the point I can count on it. So now I'm looking at PW (47) and GW (51)(same clubs I played at 48/52 just with the lofts bent back to factory specs), and 2 more slots. 56 and 60 are the natural lofts, but there are players here who only go one more at 58°. What made you guys decide on your makeup?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I was a 48/53/56/60 guy forever, but I have fallen to a 48/54/58 guy now. I just found with the new grinds on wedges that it was much easier to have the same "shots" in the bag with less clubs.

I'm also of the school that I never, ever go 100% at a wedge. If I am approaching the limits, I play a different shot with a stronger wedge. The new balls and grooves help with the spin, so it's never been an issue.

Opened up a spot for a 2 iron/5 wood too. Bonus.

R35

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My current set up.
An ugly lot but helps in most situations.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1422908782.211227.jpg

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
On a more serious note...
I started with a 52/56/60 set as I loved my 60* Vokey and worked back from there.
But have since settle for 50/54/58 as my PW is 45* and GW 50*.
However I am slowly taking a likening to my vokey rustic 52* as it's perfect for my 100m shots which I'm more often hitting from now on par 4s.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I used to have 47/51/56/60. That's just plain to many wedges. THe more i played the more i found myself wondering if I should hit a hard PW, or a soft GW. Led to way to much indecision on my part. I dropped a club. Went 47-54-60. Loved that set up. I practiced more so I was confident from a number of different distances. I now have a 47-52-58 and am equally happy. 4 wedges for me is just to much.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
What about distances for each wedge too?
I currently do (carry dist)
PW - 115m
GW - 105m
54* - 90m
58* - 70m

Haven't mastered the backspin shit yet so normally have 4-5m bounce and roll on PW and GW lol.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
47(PW from iron set), 52, 56

I've never truly needed a 60º on course and I've only needed it once off course. It cost me so many shots while it was in the bag I simply left it on the course...could I have put the time in and gotten better with it? Sure...my 52 just came much more naturally for me.

PW is used pretty much as an iron...or for chips that I need to roll a ways.

My 52 is my go to club from 100 and in. 56 is rarely used from anywhere but greenside or in bunkers. For me...having one wedge as my go to and knowing that club inside and out has been much more useful than having 4 wedges that I sorta kinda know how to use.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I let the lofts in my set determine mine. My PW is 45 and the GW is 50. So I went with a 55 SW and 60 LW. I like the distances I'm getting so I'm going to stick with it. That being said there were some wonky yardage gaps through the rest of my set the last time I got to play. As soon as I get back to work I'm going to have the lofts and lies checked on the whole set. I think the 5 iron is a little too upright as well.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

I've never truly needed a 60º on course and I've only needed it once off course. It cost me so many shots while it was in the bag I simply left it on the course...could I have put the time in and gotten better with it? Sure...my 52 just came much more naturally for me.

My 52 is my go to club from 100 and in. 56 is rarely used from anywhere but greenside or in bunkers. For me...having one wedge as my go to and knowing that club inside and out has been much more useful than having 4 wedges that I sorta kinda know how to use.
I let the lofts in my set determine mine. My PW is 45 and the GW is 50. So I went with a 55 SW and 60 LW. I like the distances I'm getting so I'm going to stick with it. That being said there were some wonky yardage gaps through the rest of my set the last time I got to play. As soon as I get back to work I'm going to have the lofts and lies checked on the whole set. I think the 5 iron is a little too upright as well.
Do you guys full swing the 52, 55, 56, and 60?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I full swing my 52. I don't think I have ever done a fully with the 56 because I'm much more comfortable with my 52 from pretty much everywhere.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I found myself doing the same with my middle wedge. I got really good with first my 54 and now my 62, the only time I go to the higher loft is green side or bunker.

Good point too, what good is 4 wedges that you have zero confidence in? I played competitive high school golf and my only wedge was a PW. Granted it was probably 49-50*, but still.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I don't take a full swipe with the 60 but the gap wedge and sand wedge are fair game. I never step on them though. Just a smooth full swing. If I try to squeeze a little more out of them they just balloon up and don't go any farther. If I played tem atthe same length as my PW with the same shaft I might.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
If I carry too many wedges, that leads to too many swing thoughts and decision variables for me - us geezers get confused easily. When I'm carrying 7 clubs, I have a 9i and a SW, when I'm carrying 9 clubs, I add the 8i and a PW. I just vary the distance and trajectory with stance, ball position, swing length, etc. Simpler.............

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
When I am riding 18 I usually carry a PW, GW SW and LW.

When I walk I usually carry the PW and SW.

The number of wedges I carry usually has little to no effect on my score.

🔥 Latest posts