• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge setup help

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
ok guys, i initially though that my Mizuno MX 23 PW was 48* loft so I bought the following:

GW 52*
SW 56*
LW 60*

Turns out my PW is 46* so now there is an uneven gap between my PW and GW of 2*. Does this matter?

Would a better setup be:

PW 46*
GW 50*
SW 54*
LW 58*

Or am i overanalyzing the whole situation?

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
ok guys, i initially though that my Mizuno MX 23 PW was 48* loft so I bought the following:

GW 52*
SW 56*
LW 60*

Turns out my PW is 46* so now there is an uneven gap between my PW and GW of 2*. Does this matter?

Would a better setup be:

PW 46*
GW 50*
SW 54*
LW 58*

Or am i overanalyzing the whole situation?

my thoughts: keep the 52 and toss out the 56,60 and get a 58* mid bounce so that the gaps are even at 6*, and you have an open space in the long game. learning more shots with less wedges is very productive and opens different slots to have all distances covered.

Nyper

Feb 23, 2006
Yep.. you're over-analyzing it. In my opinion. :)

Forget #'s and lofts and even dispersions. How far do you hit your Mizuno 46* PW? How far do you hit the 52* GW? Can you hit the Mizuno 46* easier to cover that gap?

Nobody can tell you what you SHOULD be using. Personally, I'm not much good at choking down on my 49* PW and hitting it 110 yards. So I carry a wedge I can hit anywhere from 90-110. What # degree loft is printed on the bottom of the club simply isn't important. Piddle around and see what works for you and what makes you comfortable.

Personally, my PW is 49*, and I also carry a 52, 56, and 60/64 (I alternate). It's just different strokes for different folks. Don't get lost in analyzing stuff. Just see what works for you.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
my thoughts: keep the 52 and toss out the 56,60 and get a 58* mid bounce so that the gaps are even at 6*, and you have an open space in the long game. learning more shots with less wedges is very productive and opens different slots to have all distances covered.

Good call. I wish Titleist made a 52* vokey spin milled wedge.
As for 58*, they have 8* bounce and 12* bounce, is the 8* considered mid bounce?

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Yep.. you're over-analyzing it. In my opinion. :)

Forget #'s and lofts and even dispersions. How far do you hit your Mizuno 46* PW? How far do you hit the 52* GW? Can you hit the Mizuno 46* easier to cover that gap?

Nobody can tell you what you SHOULD be using. Personally, I'm not much good at choking down on my 49* PW and hitting it 110 yards. So I carry a wedge I can hit anywhere from 90-110. What # degree loft is printed on the bottom of the club simply isn't important. Piddle around and see what works for you and what makes you comfortable.

Personally, my PW is 49*, and I also carry a 52, 56, and 60/64 (I alternate). It's just different strokes for different folks. Don't get lost in analyzing stuff. Just see what works for you.

Thanks for the response. I really need to get my distances dialed in with my wedges. At this point though, I do sometimes feel like I have too many wedges for someone who has only been playing for 4 months.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
dont worry about the lofts, why dont you find out your yardages on your wedges then have the lofts adjusted according to your desired gap.

Nyper

Feb 23, 2006
You've only been playing 4 months? Better run while there's still time!! :D

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
You've only been playing 4 months? Better run while there's still time!! :D

There's no hope for me.
My chances of finding a girlfriend or getting married within the next couple of years are slowly, rather rapidly, dwindling. :D

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
With a low score of 95, I think you still need to focus on learning how to use a couple of wedges competently rather than having a bag full that you use poorly. My first set of clubs (40 years ago) was a "starter" half set... just 3-5-7-9 irons with no wedges at all. I'm not recommending that, just using it to illustrate that 4 wedges are not necessary (or even desirable) when just starting out. I carry 3, but only use 2 with any regularity. My SW is used almost exclusively for bunker play, but I'm pretty good with my PW and GW for pitching and chipping.

And to tell the truth, I don't even have a clue what the loft angles are on any of them. Instead of worrying about that, I practiced and learned how they worked and how best to use them in my game. I know what they do and when to use them, and that's far more important than the angle spacing between them.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I've got a 46* PW. I got new wedges for Christmas, and went with 51*, 56* and 60*. Basically... With wedges I try and not play full shots. If it's about a 70 yard shot I play a full gap wedge, but shorter than that, I adapt and play half and three-quarter shots etc... But with a bit of practice, i'd be able to play any shot 70 yards in with one club... If you practice, the lofts don't matter...

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
With a low score of 95, I think you still need to focus on learning how to use a couple of wedges competently rather than having a bag full that you use poorly. My first set of clubs (40 years ago) was a "starter" half set... just 3-5-7-9 irons with no wedges at all. I'm not recommending that, just using it to illustrate that 4 wedges are not necessary (or even desirable) when just starting out. I carry 3, but only use 2 with any regularity. My SW is used almost exclusively for bunker play, but I'm pretty good with my PW and GW for pitching and chipping.

And to tell the truth, I don't even have a clue what the loft angles are on any of them. Instead of worrying about that, I practiced and learned how they worked and how best to use them in my game. I know what they do and when to use them, and that's far more important than the angle spacing between them.

I agree completely. I got carried away with buying new clubs. :D

I am similar in that I strictly use my SW for bunker play. For pitching and chipping, I've been using mainly my GW. For full swing approach shots, the LW comes in handy.

So basically, my SW gets almost no use. I think I will try and focus on my PW and GW to really learn how to hit them and ease off the LW for now.

Thanks guys.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would probably say you are over analyzing the situation unless you commonly find yourself in a situation where that gap creates problems. In the same sense that to me it would not make sense to me it would be as much of a question of whether your irons need to be replaced because your PW starts at 46*.

Is it really worth the money and do you find yourself in a position where it commonly effects your game. I am currently in the market to customize my wedges, and in doing so I am considering changing around my lofts to better fit my game and situation, but if I already owned the wedges I liked I would just learn to use them accordingly. Just my .02 cents.

Customized wedge setups do not necessarily match your irons just based on loft. One 50* wedge may play the same distance as another 52*. In the same sense it may play more like 54*, so do you have a 20-25 yard gap. Pay more attention to use or performance and not loft. More importantly, do they meet your needs on your short game?

🔥 Latest posts