• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Setups

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I have a 46* PW, 52* and 58*.

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
I have 4, but most of the time my 4th is in the trunk and I like my 3i hybrid more. Unless the course has very soft collars and isn't too long, then the 3i Hybrid which I LOVE on longer par 3's and to hit into short par 5's is replaced with the 62/7 Vokey LW.

Normally it's my AP2 Wedge, 52/8 GW and 56/8 SW, I just open up the SW when I need to hit a LW type shot.

So 4 wedges in the bag, but the LW alternates with a 3i Hy, I have way more shots per round that might use a 3i Hy, and rarely have to use a LW. But soft collared greens do demand the LW a lot more than a traditional low SW or GW knockdown.

So course determines which tool for me, 3 or 4 wedges always and they are vokeys. I have two sets, one for everyday use and one that conforms to new grooves, which only applies to one event a year for me.

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
There isn't a shot I can hit with a 60 that I can't hit with my 54.

90% accurate there for me.

Ball in decent length rough near a 15 yard sand trap and a pin 3 paces from the trap, what you gonna do, look for the largest degree LW ever made. LOL

You open a 54 or 56 SW for that tough shot and you won't get near the pin, a 64 LW you might get lucky 1 out 7 times IF you have the touch of a Mickleson.

So every tool has it's task and that task is LW every day of the week.

But you're right, an open SW can work 'most' of the time. Also, soft collared greens require a nice LW more than an open SW imo.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I have a question for you all; three wedges or four??
Counting my PW as one, I have two possible wedge configurations. With my PW at 48*; one set up includes a 53 and 58. The second setup is 52, 56, 60...

I added the fourth wedge end of last year, but am contemplating going back to three.
I carry a PW(48*), 52*, 56* and 60* in the bag. All have come in very useful the last couple rounds at some point or another. My short game is 10 times better than it was when I was only carrying two wedges just weeks ago. Maybe just a confidence thing, but if so, its definitely working.

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
my bag is now all vokeys
46/8
52/8
56/8
62/7
I rarely hit them more than waist high, my 46 is 95 to 105 with only a waist high swing, but the dispersion is TIGHT, good scoring clubs the vokeys
High grass collared greens I carry a 62 for tight pins and drop out my 3H or 4W
Regular greens I keep the 62 in my trunk
Since I'm over 50 now I usually have within 100 yards most par 4s
So 4 wedges is how you SCORE

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
my bag is now all vokeys
46/8
52/8
56/8
62/7
I rarely hit them more than waist high, my 46 is 95 to 105 with only a waist high swing, but the dispersion is TIGHT, good scoring clubs the vokeys
Bounce is your friend, you should consider carrying at least one high bounce wedge. K grind is amazing

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
Fairways 8/7 is fine
If u in loose sand u need bounce
My home course is heron bay
Former tour stop
Over 100 traps
8 is fine
I take footlong divots with a half swing from fairways
One hop they stop
Bounce is for hacks
Unless u mishit into loose sand bunkers all day

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
You want deep long divots to spin wedges
Bounce keeps the club from makin divots
Im usually +3 bro
My wedges fine

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
my bag is now all vokeys
46/8
52/8
56/8
62/7
Learning to hit shots is how you score. There isn't a shot you can hit with your 4 wedges that I can't hit with my 4. My setup works for me.

Tiger has won 14 majors with 3 wedges.

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
My wedges work fine for me, in scrambles the +8 I play with as a partner always tells me just hit that 65 or 75 yard half wedge you do to 6 feet, I don't need to even try to hit that number.

When in SFL look me up, I'll take your wallet all day.

🔥 Latest posts