• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge shaft advice

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Did a lot of searches, but could not find any threads that addressed my specific needs.

Right now, Project X 6.5s are getting installed in my 4-PW. Hit them at a demo day and am fairly confident that I will like them. I am thinking of putting stiffer shafts in my wedges.

The 52* and 58* that I carry right now have S300s and are alright. The 64* shaft has no designation, but seems too soft. I have read that Spinners are designed to be hit less than full, which is not me. Fairly long off the tee, I hit a lot of full or mostly wedges into greens.

Should I just order some 6.5 Project Xs for my wedges? Any suggestions on a stiff wedge shaft would be most welcome. Thanks.

TSV

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I use the same in my wedges as my irons. I think it comes down to spin and trajectory. Do you hit it too high with too much spin with the S300? If so, go stiffer. If not, don't change.

mattyboy

May 11, 2008
over rated..

i tried a bunch of misc wedges, my personal belief is ALL you need a pitching wedge & sandwedge for the sand, nothing more. I played several gap wedges & tried some lobs, wound up missing more shots getting used to them then scoring. To re shaft a wedge is senseless unless your a pro or or something.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
i tried a bunch of misc wedges, my personal belief is ALL you need a pitching wedge & sandwedge for the sand, nothing more. I played several gap wedges & tried some lobs, wound up missing more shots getting used to them then scoring. To re shaft a wedge is senseless unless your a pro or or something.

Have you ever tried wedges with different shafts? A shaft that fits your wedge game, be it the same shaft in your irons or not, can make a world of difference.

It is my personal belief that only carrying a pitching wedge and a sand wedge really limits your options around the green. There's only so many shots you can play with the clunky pitching wedge from your iron set and a high bounce sand wedge (generally 54 or 56 degrees loft). Unless the sand wedge has some serious heel relief so you can open it up. Plus you will need to learn more partial shots with the pitching wedge.

xiphos

Sep 7, 2008
Did a lot of searches, but could not find any threads that addressed my specific needs.

Right now, Project X 6.5s are getting installed in my 4-PW. Hit them at a demo day and am fairly confident that I will like them. I am thinking of putting stiffer shafts in my wedges.

The 52* and 58* that I carry right now have S300s and are alright. The 64* shaft has no designation, but seems too soft. I have read that Spinners are designed to be hit less than full, which is not me. Fairly long off the tee, I hit a lot of full or mostly wedges into greens.

Should I just order some 6.5 Project Xs for my wedges? Any suggestions on a stiff wedge shaft would be most welcome. Thanks.

TSV

i would not go with the same shafts. I play the same in my irons and s200s in my wedges. Pretty much all of the tour guys use softer flexes in wedges, because you do not always hit them full. Even when you do they are not being swung as hard or as fast as you irons. I would try tipping out you wedges shafts in you want them a little stiffer, but i would not go too stiff.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I play Mizuno MP-67's with regular, super lite

shafts. I put those same shafts in my 54* and 58* Mizuno wedges. My logic was that I would have a much more similar feel when hitting full-swing wedge shots if the shafts were the same. On sand shots and all the other shots from close range, the shaft really does not come into play that much. This logic seems to working just fine. I know I am speaking of regular shafts, but I think the same logic would apply to other shafts. Why not have the same shafts in all your clubs?

Having said that, I do prefer graphite in my driver and fairway metals (15* and 19*). I use the same metal shaft in my hybrid.

CP

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
if the current shafts are too soft feleing for you- by all means look at x-100's,, PX of same flex, or spinners = swing as hard as you like they will hold up perfectly.. softer flex if you want to mainly get a better shaft for half shots..

Sunset Beach Golf

Custom Putter Maker
Oct 31, 2008
I have had rifles in all my irons. 7.5, 7.0 and my latest have 6.5's. However the spinners do not hold up for me either. I tried them and there is something that is just not quite right. I have the Apollo hump shafts in my wedges and I love them. The most stable shaft I have ever played. I have s flex tipped 1/2 inch and I am loving them.

On a side note, the second best iron shafts I have ever played are the apollo humps. I have a set and even as fast as I swing these shafts hold up. I have R flex in my 3 and 4 iron(tippped 1/4 on the four). S flex in the 5, 6 , 7. S flex tipped 1/4 in the 8, 9. And s Flex tipped 1/2 in the wedges.

I have never believed in a uniflex shaft, but damn if this hump shaft does not hold up. I hit the 6 iron about 194, 5 iron 208, 4 iron 220 and the 3 iron 235. My driver SS is right around 120-122 and a R flex in the apollo holds up for me, the only difference is in the ballflight.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Have you ever tried wedges with different shafts? A shaft that fits your wedge game, be it the same shaft in your irons or not, can make a world of difference.

It is my personal belief that only carrying a pitching wedge and a sand wedge really limits your options around the green. There's only so many shots you can play with the clunky pitching wedge from your iron set and a high bounce sand wedge (generally 54 or 56 degrees loft). Unless the sand wedge has some serious heel relief so you can open it up. Plus you will need to learn more partial shots with the pitching wedge.

Mike ---Me too except a 60* wedge.

I've gone with a softer flex shaft in the wedges as rarely to I use a full swing. If I need the distance I step up a club. I find with the full swing I generated too much spin making the reaction of the ball on the green a crap shoot depending on the slope you land on. Backing off a bit leads to more reliable distance control and creativity. IMHO

If you are going to mainly use a full swing the stiffest shaft you are comfortable with is in order. Softer will lead to spin and distance control issues.

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
Aldila NV Pro 105 on my Scratches as opposed to lighter UST V2 on my numbered irons.

Very good wedge shaft for a graphite player, imo.

PureStroke

Oct 10, 2008
S400s true temper shafts are good . Or you can just roll with the same shafts as your irons

Members online

No members online now.