• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Shafts

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Just some academic questions on wedge shafts:

1. What flex does a "wedge flex" stand for? (for example in a Cleveland CG12 wedge?)
2. Are you supposed to play a softer or stiffer shaft for your wedge than your regular irons?(I've heard both versions)
3. If I play let's say, R300s, should I look for the same wedge shaft or is there a "wedge alternative" to the R300s?
4. What does a Rifle Spinner shaft do to the shot? Does it stabilized the shot? Promote spin? If so, how? How do they play?

Thanks mates....

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
The "wedge flex" shafts I have are DGs200's
Depends on the type of shots you like to play, an R300 will give you a higher ballflight than say an S300.
Spinner shafts were made to be used in partial shots, I have found that they work best that way. If you take a full swing will a spinner it'll throw the ball higher up in the air than I like. I always had a yardage problem when playing spinners and full wedge shots.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I've found that since moving from R300's to S400's my dispersion has been better. Possibly just the stiffer shaft not flexing as much producing tighter results but definite results. Well worth it if you arent hitting as many greens as you'd like with the wedges.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I always look to have the same shafts in my wedges and irons. It depends on how you play, really. LBlack is EXACTLY right; shafts like the Rifle Spinner, and the FST Hi-Rev (same performance, 1/3 the price!) shoot the ball up higher so it will land more softly. Think of how you play between these two options...

Play to a distance: On a shorter par 4 (310 yards) do you lay up to a distance you know you're good at with a wedge; say, 100 yards? If so, you would probably benefit more from having the same shafts in your wedges and irons, since you are going to hit full wedge shots. This is how I play. I'd also like to note that I don't find it particularly difficult to hit half wedge shots even with normal shafts.

Get as close as possible: On that same 310 yard par 4, you hit driver and leave yourself 50-75 yards out. This is where those "high-spin" shafts might help you out.

The high-spin shafts will also FEEL better on shorter shots, apparently. Since the shaft is more flexible, the feel on a half-shot is not so harsh. Again, I've never felt like my wedges felt harsh or failed to get the ball up high, and I play PX 6.5 in my wedges.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
just to add a lil info - i overheard vokey team members talking with shaft manufacturers on the range at the disney tour event last month saying -

make me a shaft that makes this head (deep groove 2009 head), spin equal to this head (conforming 2010 head)

No prob - we'll get it done.

point being, there is something to getting the right shaft in your wedges

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I agree with everything here. I have played Clevelands with Rifle Spinners in a stiffer flex than my irons and they definately added to short approach shots. I loved them on par 5's...you could layup to pretty precise distances. I have since gone to wedges that more match my set in both head and shaft. I just adjusted to layup farther away to hit fuller shots. It is all in how you play and the courses that you play.

Jason

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I play the same shafts in my wedges as my irons and my short game has never been better. I used to be a huge fan of Rifle Spinners, but felt that they lacked any distance, but the spin was very nice.

I really think it all depends on what kind of dynamic of a player you are for what your specific game might need. Normally, guys that can hit it a long way don't need help with spin and wouldn't require something like a Spinner or HiRev. But if you're a bit flatter ball hitter, some spin might be a better recourse if you reply more on accuracy for scoring than flat out power.

In my experiences, wedge shafts from stock offerings of OEM's are traditionally soft (by design) and are pretty generic for feel. If you want some consistency, I can offer only what works for me - align your wedges along the same line as what you're using in your irons. Why re-learn each club when you can get a consistent feel throughout the set?

R35

🔥 Latest posts