• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedges and Ball Spin Question

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
Down from 18 handicap to 15 handicap since end of summer...
I have a set of clone clubs...which are absolutely wonderful...and the wedges are really thick. So from the same company, I am going to buy one wedge to use for chipping 20 yards and closer. This wedge is very thin, which will prevent me from hitting the ball thin across the green. I have only been able to hit bump and run chips, and have gotten better at it....but from downhill lies and from above the hole, it's very difficult.

My question is...what degree should I choose? The representative from the company suggested 56 or 60. Again, I only want to use this wedge to chip from very close. Maybe even try to hit shots from 50 yards in with a normal swing. My sand wedge is 54 degree and I hit it at least 80 yards with a normal swing.

Second question....about ball spin. If I want to have the most backspin on my ball....do I want to take out a large divot, or do i want to hit at a more upward swing and not take out any ground?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If you have a 54 now, get the 60. It'll hit higher, softer shots assuming decent contact. That's exactly what you're looking for.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
If you have a 54º I'd go for a low bounce 58º. It kind of leaves gaps more exact than a 60º

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
If you have a 54º I'd go for a low bounce 58º. It kind of leaves gaps more exact than a 60º

What he said.

Also you can't go wrong with the Titleist Spin milled or the Nike SV wedges. If you are on a budget Adams makes a 3 wedge Tom Watson set that is nice.

OP
C

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for all the input so far. THey have 56 and 60 degree, no 58 in stock. The club I am buying is only $20. I am using a very low budget for clubs until i have the consistency of almost a pro with my shots and shot shaping. The clone clubs I bought were $300 for the entire set, and they play amazing. www.pinemeadowgolf.com is the site. Hopefully I will start shooting in the low 80's instead of high 80's....then I will invest in some really nice equipment.

Still wanting to know about what's the best way to have a ball have max spin, by taking a large divot, small divot, no divot? This usually tells me how much im hitting down on the ball.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Why do you want spin?

In time when you get better at striking the ball invest in a wedge that will allow you to impart spin. For now concentrate on technique. Pick up a subscription to Golf Digest, or watch the golf channel - seems they do chipping instruction all the time.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You're not going to get spin with anything under an 8-iron, usually. And even then I wouldn't EXPECT your ball to really stop (unless you're using a premium or high-spin ball) with anything less than a PW, and it certainly shouldn't be backing up (again, the ball matters) with anything less than a 50* wedge. Most of the spin is caused by hitting a high shot with a lofted club; the angle of the face creates a lot of backspin. Clean, good grooves (like you'd find on a good wedge) and a soft ball definitely create MORE spin. But on full shots-- say, a 100 yard 52* wedge shot, the grooves play little to NO roll in spin. It is purely the angle of the face and the speed of the clubhead. I don't swing incredibly hard, and I'd say it's feasible to stop almost ANY ball with a 50+* wedge on a full swing with good contact.

On chips and pitches, the ball is going to make more difference than anything. Then, depending on the lie, the depth and cleanliness of the grooves (grooves give moisture a place to go to ensure clean contact), then the 'sharpness' of the grooves (the edges will "bite" the ball and impart more spin than the friction of the clubface alone would).

To be more basic... keep your clubs clean, get a decent ball, and make good contact. If you happen to spin the ball, GREAT! But I really wouldn't worry about it right now.

OP
C

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for the input, but by all means, I understand that having spin on the green is rare in a round, due to shot/club choices. I'm just wondering what shot to play to get the optimum ball spin....as in which shot makes the hardest backspin. I'm guessing the faster the swing, the more spin produced, and the tighter the club is to the ground at impact, the more spin is created?

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
You have to pinch the ball between your clubface and the turf by hitting down on the ball. Must be ball fist contact. Good luck.

🔥 Latest posts