• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedges

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Hello, my first post. I have been golfing now for about 3 years never taken a lesson in my life just picked it up from frieds, and watching people. Anyways I have got my swing down good now and can get it going the right direction and can hit it farther than any one I play with. So I have become a decent golfer for just going out and doing it. I picked up a set of knock off clubs for 120 bucks thew out the drivers got some low profile woods made for me and I love them, use them off the tee and on the fairway. Now here is where my problem comes in, I get a good drive then I try and put it on the green with say a 5 iron. Well we all know it dosent always go on the green sometimes it lands short, goes in the sand, in the rough, or you overshoot. Well im here with my 120$ set with nothin but a Pitching Wedge, well this is a VERY bad club for short shots that need to just stop or getting out of a bunker. So I figered its time to go pick up some wedges as I belive with them it will knock at least 10 strokes off my score. I am looking for a Sand Wedge, Gap Wedge, and Lob wedge. The courses I play on are generally dry and I never learned how to take a divot so if I try here my club stops in its tracks. So I am looking for some wedges that do well sweeping the grass more than diggin it. Keeping this in mind I do not want to go buy 70 dollar a club Clevelands. So is it possible to find a cheaper alternative such as a generic brand or Wilson etc that can get me some decent results. Id like my budget to be about 35-40$ a club. Anything to look for?
Thanks A Bunch

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
here's a set of Nike forged wedges that includes a Gap, Sand and Lob wedge for $140.
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/12nikfrgrawmrhset.html
View attachment astore1_yimg_com_I_yhst_17159114447480_1849_5650031

set of Wilson Golf Staff Dyna Powered also Gap, Sand and Lob for $70
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/12wildynpwrmrhset.html
View attachment astore1_yimg_com_I_yhst_17159114447480_1849_5679900

set of Pro Select Golf (Cleveland knockoffs) also Gap, Sand and Lob for $30
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/12prstrs835mrh.html
View attachment astore1_yimg_com_I_yhst_17159114447480_1846_402776

I personally recommend the Wilson for you.

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
GunnerMan said:
The courses I play on are generally dry and I never learned how to take a divot so if I try here my club stops in its tracks. So I am looking for some wedges that do well sweeping the grass more than diggin it.

In that case you want to look for a wedge with more bounce. I personally have a sand wedge with normal bounce and a lob wedge that have very little bounce so I have a club to play from both kind of lies.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
While the tools are extremely important, it's almost as important to work on the swing required for these up and down shots. I played for 3 years on a course with tiny rock hard greens and had to learn how to spin the ball when I chip.

I always get a kick out of hearing my playing partners yell "get down" when I skip it in there low, only to have it zip and check ;)

OP
G

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Thanks for the info. Yes I did look and it seems I nee a high bounce whatever that means. I will look at them!

OP
G

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Yeah, I wonder how good they are. I will deffinatley get the Nikes or Wilsns, those nockoff Clevelands are to cheap to be very great.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you are playing on bare dry courses the high bounce clubs will kill you.

Bounce does exactly what it says. The more bounce a clubs has, the angle of the sole in relation to the face, the more the club will bounce up.
If you are hitting a sand wedge out of fluffy sand you want more bounce to help push the ball out.
If you use a low bounce for fluffy sand the wedge will slide under and you will have another shot out of the sand.
If you use a high bounce sole in a hard sand trap you will bounce up too much and skull the ball, normally well over the green.
A low bounce in hard sand will not bounce as much and will let you get under the ball to create the right trajectory to stay on the green.
If you look at the face of a wedge and see the angle, now look at the sole, the farther the back edge of the sole is from the angle of the face the more bounce it has.

OP
G

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Ahh I see I had it backwards so I need a set of low-normal bounce cubs. Our turf is always quite firm but our sand is probably about normal. The wilsons have very low bounce 3-10-3 degrees if im not mistaken, very low.

OP
G

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Just bought the Wilsons. I will let ya'll know what I think of them next week ff any of you guys care to know...

🔥 Latest posts