• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Well Retief did finish in the Top Ten

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
and ahead of Tim Clark who was doing well after two rounds. Retief's 70-69 finish was better than anyone else for the last two rounds, and he had his chances to win.

Johnson played golf that deserved the win.

Tiger did OK. Had he made his second shot on the last hole, I MIGHT have changed my mine about his divinity. He did not make that shot and even two putted when a birdie would have given him second place all alone. The announcers were constantly making excuses for him like his health was down and such. Tiger does not need that kind of stuff, and I bet you he is embarrassed by it. That last shot in the water by Tiger was made by a human, and it was probably a bad play. Had he eagled, well that would have been impressive, wouldn't it?

I think it was a pretty good Masters. Some will consider it below the usual expectations, but I think it was really pretty good.

Cypressperch

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
and ahead of Tim Clark who was doing well after two rounds. Retief's 70-69 finish was better than anyone else for the last two rounds, and he had his chances to win.

Johnson played golf that deserved the win.

Tiger did OK. Had he made his second shot on the last hole, I MIGHT have changed my mine about his divinity. He did not make that shot and even two putted when a birdie would have given him second place all alone. The announcers were constantly making excuses for him like his health was down and such. Tiger does not need that kind of stuff, and I bet you he is embarrassed by it. That last shot in the water by Tiger was made by a human, and it was probably a bad play. Had he eagled, well that would have been impressive, wouldn't it?

I think it was a pretty good Masters. Some will consider it below the usual expectations, but I think it was really pretty good.

Cypressperch

Agreed on the Tiger excuses, although Faldo was quick to point out that he didnt think it was his health. More the fact that his swing was just not in the shape to win a major.

I was very happy to see Johnson win, he played fearless golf. Retief once again showed he is a superb putter, but the iron off the tee at 13 showed that his memory goes all the way back to the snap hook in '01 when he was chasing Tiger.

All in all a great tournament, even though it looked like the US Open for the first 3 rounds...

Jun 24, 2006
Regarding the ball he hit in the water, the perfect club for that shot was the 4 iron he broke in half against the tree a few holes previous.

Said so himself in the Press conferance.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
great sunday. johnson played great, with nerves of steel, and deserved the victory.
my favourite part was tiger on 17: "honestly, WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED? that was straight down wind!" after he left his PW short and in the bunker from 134 when he needed the birdie. make me laugh out loud.

Jun 24, 2006
great sunday. johnson played great, with nerves of steel, and deserved the victory.
my favourite part was tiger on 17: "honestly, WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED? that was straight down wind!" after he left his PW short and in the bunker from 134 when he needed the birdie. make me laugh out loud.

Made me chuckle as well.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
Congrats to Zach Johnson. He certainly held his nerve down the stretch. I remember thinking this guy had "got game" when I saw him in the Ryder Cup.
Is it me or does he look like Joaquin Phoenix
:laugh:

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
Congrats to Zach Johnson. He certainly held his nerve down the stretch. I remember thinking this guy had "got game" when I saw him in the Ryder Cup.
Is it me or does he look like Joaquin Phoenix
:laugh:

Exactly welsh! I thought he was the only American who had the grit and determination needed to play at the Ryder Cup... those attributes served him well this week! Good call on the Joaquin lookalike too ;)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Hopefully Zach Johnson won't turn into another Ben Curtis or Shaun Micheel. Time will tell I suppose.

Very lackluster performance by the worlds #1, proving that he indeed is human.

Not birdieing 8 was crucial I think... he should have hit driver there. Coming up way short on 6 (that little par 3) was really weird also. If he has a 7 iron, he should be able to hit the green.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Ah come on guys. Cut the Tiger bashing. He came in second. For any other golfer in the world, that would have been a great tournament. He wins about 30% of the tournaments he enters. This one he didn't win.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Ah come on guys. Cut the Tiger bashing. He came in second. For any other golfer in the world, that would have been a great tournament. He wins about 30% of the tournaments he enters. This one he didn't win.

Just goes to show that Tiger playing poorly is still better than the entire world. If he ever can hit a fairway he'll never lose.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Congrats to Zach Johnson. He had a great round and tournament and made the fewest amount of mistakes. Retief had a great weekend after a slow start.

No excuses should be made for Tiger. He had his opportunities but made some mistakes that cost him.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A statistic to remember about Nicklaus: Not only does he have the all time record for most Major victories...

he also holds the alltime record for finishing second.

🔥 Latest posts