• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Went to the Pro Golf Discount store

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Reaction score
The place was awesome, I got to demo about a gazillion different Irons today. Didn't even want to try the Drivers, tried many of the irons with both stiff and regular flex. I am most definitely a stiff flex guy.

The good,

Cleveland.
Launcher Irons,
TA 6's
CG 4's
Callaway
X-18's
06 Big Berthas
Ben Hogan
Apex's
Taylor Made'
Rac OS2's

The Fair

Callaway
Fusions
Adams
A2's

The Bad

Ping
G5's
Nike
OSS's

My summary is as follows

Shafts= TT Dynamic Gold S300, had the best luck with this shaft and found it already installed in several demo clubs

Irons
The Pings did not feel like swinging a club, they were to light or something. When I hit the ball it was like swinging with a wiffle bat, I felt the contact but not really all that solid, no feel of force at any point in the swing.

The Nikes were flat out awful, same for feel as above, but when you are in your down swing they sound like the wiffle ball, the cavity in the back makes a humming whistling noise that is hard to descibe other than the sound of a wiffle ball coming at you.

The flat out best feeling club was the X-18, followed by the TA 6's. I like the feel of the Hogans too, hit my first shot thin with them and they let me know with out looking up, I could actually feel the club hitting the middle of the ball instead of vice-versa.

I know these are all just my opinions but there they are folks.
Warbird I know you love those new G5's you got, but hey are just not for me. No offense my friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry boss I just didn't get the attraction, they were not for me.

Yah the G5s are crap. I like to swing something with a little weight. I thought that i was just swinging the shaft at first.lol. I would recommend the Cleveland CG4s. Those got to be the best cavity on the market right now. Im a mid cavity back/blade guy (i play cleveland TA3s) and i absolutly love the CG4s. Great feel, workabilit(for a cavity), and great distance. Try those out some more, and i promise you will be like Ping what, Callaway huh. MAN I PLAY CLEVELAND.lol

good luck

I agree Clevlands are pretty money, I currently play TA5's but have demoes every they currently offer. I really liked the CG2's. As for Ping well...I haven't hit anything buy them since the i3 days, but I wasn;t to impressed then, I hae no real desire to even give them a go. Maybe next time I'm demoing stuff I'll give them a try and see what all the fus'n and a feud'n is all about.

SilkySm00thSwing said:
Yah the G5s are crap. I like to swing something with a little weight. I thought that i was just swinging the shaft at first.lol. I would recommend the Cleveland CG4s. Those got to be the best cavity on the market right now. Im a mid cavity back/blade guy (i play cleveland TA3s) and i absolutly love the CG4s. Great feel, workabilit(for a cavity), and great distance. Try those out some more, and i promise you will be like Ping what, Callaway huh. MAN I PLAY CLEVELAND.lol

good luck

That is sort of how they felt to me too, like swinging a shaft with a ferule on the end of it, Nike OSS's felt about the same except they also sounded funny.

You guys must not be swinging the club right :D :D :smilie_pi :D

(The guy with the best average in these forums, JEFF4i, uses Ping i3's)

warbirdlover said:

So they work for you guys, they have to work for a lot of people or they wouldn't be so popular, however some guys like Makita some guys like Dewalt, its all about preference. Those clubs are really light though.

warbirdlover said:

LOL. Nsherman has to be getting close by now. He's had a totally different bag every time I've played with him... It's the swing not the clubs. You guys really need to hit some Miuras though, for real. It's a good feeling not to have to wonder if there is something better out there. :)

I have a partner who has the Nike OSS, and he loves them. I agree with you guys though. To me they have no feel at all...way to light, and I hate that sound, plus the fact they gather dirt in that huge cavity like a dump truck.

His wife plays the Pings, and while they look very good to me, they just don't have the feel I like. I can subtract about 5-8 yards off my iron shots with the pings.....but they are sweet looking.

I have the TM RACs, and I really like them. I did get a very good deal on them though. If I had to pay full price, I would go with Mizunos. They just don't make a better iron IMO.

pdlnole said:
I have the TM RACs, and I really like them. I did get a very good deal on them though. If I had to pay full price, I would go with Mizunos. They just don't make a better iron IMO.

I hit one of those and I was surprised that I really liked it, I am not a fan of Taylor Made at all. I like their putters, they look cool, but I was predisposed to dislike the irons, but they were pretty nice. I actually thought I might like the Nike's but those were the worst club I hit.

warbirdlover said:

I think you'll find he has Titliest 990's now :)

All I know is that the sorriest day of my golfing life came when I traded my Ping Eye 2s in on Callaway Big Bertha irons. I'm saving my coins for some new G5s.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back