• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What a good air filter can do for your gas mileage...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I currently drive an 03 Chrysler Concorde; a large, 3402 pound vehicle with a 3.5L 6 cylinder engine. Not a gass GUZZLER persay, but certainly a full size family sedan.

According to www.fueleconomy.gov, my car gets approximately 17 mpg city, and 25 mpg highway. This makes sense, as the car is quite large.

I had an 01 Concorde for quite a while and got excellent mileage with it due to some changes I made which were both simple and easy. To further test my theory, I made the same changes to this vehicle.

Pre experiment, I was averaging about 26.4 mpg on the highway (a 4 hour drive from New Jersey to upstate NY), with the cruise control at 72. With town driving included, I averaged about 22 altogether. I found this unnacceptable.

The experiment:

I'm a big proponent of synthetic oil, so I did an oil change and used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic. This can be purchased for about $20/5 gallons at WalMart.

I'm also a big proponent of K&N Air Filters, as they just plain work, and you never need to replace it. You do however have to clean it every 50,000 miles. Dear me! These are VERY expensive as far as air filters go; expect to spend 40-60$ per. If more air gets to the cylinders, les gas is needed to create the same amount of combustion. Oxygen and gasoline are both fuels; more of one, less of another.

The results:

I drove 2 hours today on the interstate, between Buffalo and Syracuse, NY. I averaged 29.3 MPG going 78 with the air conditioning on the coldest setting.

I reset the computer once I left work to check my mileage on the drive home, which is about 12 miles on the highway, 7 miles through a 30mph town with many lights, then 4 miles down country roads.

I averaged 31.4 mpg for the trip. Was going 65mph highway with AC on.

Conclusions:

My highway mileage improved 3 full mpg, at least. This is an 11% increase in fuel economy. It effectively makes a $4 gallon of gasoline only cost $3.56, as it only takes .89 gallons of gasoline to get me where the full gallon used to.

Assuming one drives 15,000 miles a year, or approximately 300 miles a week...

For the sake of measure, we'll use my car, in which I used to get 26mpg highway, and now get 30...

@26: I need 11.54 Gallons to travel 300 highway miles
@30: I need 10.00 Gallons ...

This saves me 1.5 gallons a week. 1.5 x $4 = $6 week saved.

In 10 weeks of driving, the K&N filter will pay for itself. It should take about 200 weeks of driving before I even need to clean the filter.

In 4 more weeks the oil will be paid for. Synthetic oil does not need to be changed but every 8,000 miles +. Expect about 40 weeks between oil changes.

In the first 40 weeks, I will save $240. This takes into account the price of the air filter, and the price of enough oil for an oil change. For every 40 week period thereafter, I will save about $300, as I do not need another air filter-- ever.

In the first 50 weeks (year), I will save $315 total. Assuming the price of gas to stay near $4, that is 78 free gallons of gas, or 2340 miles of driving.

You'll also notice your car has a little more pep once the K&N air filter is in there.

Results may vary; I do not drive my car like it's a racecar.

The more you drive, the more you will save.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
If I'm reading your post correctly, you drove 78 mph one way, and 65 the other way.

13 mph difference would account for the increased mpg.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Harry Longshanks said:
If I'm reading your post correctly, you drove 78 mph one way, and 65 the other way.

13 mph difference would account for the increased mpg.

Before he made the change he drove 72 on the highway and averaged 22mpg, then after when he did the same drive only at 78, he averaged 29.4mpg.

Also after the change he drove at 65, which gave him a fuel efficiency of 31mpg

tough to get lost in a long post occasionally

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Yes, the Buffalo/SYR drive and the home-from-work drive were not related; just two separate examples of the increased fuel economy.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks Silver, my wife's car is a 04 Concorde, same engine. Now she is getting 26-28, when she drives it, I can't seem to get that? Looks like I'll be buying a K&N air filter this weekend? :thumbs up:

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Driving habits play a role, too. If you tend to accelerate quickly off the line you will reduce your mpg, and if you coast to a stop instead of rushing to the back of the line at a red light, you will make it better.

Also: do NOT use cruise control on hilly roads. This will actually HURT your fuel economy. Accelerate a little down hills and just keep steady pressure on the pedal up the other side (or vice versa). The car will slow down a bit going up the hill but it should be marginal (3-8 mph). You can make it up either before or after, whichever side the downslope is on, and it will drastically improve your gas mileage.

Example:

Driving down a 10* slope for 300 yards, either coast or apply the accelerator gently. Gravity will assist you in gaining some extra speed without using as much gas as you normally would; or at the least maintaining your speed with very little effort from the engine.

Going up the other side of that same 10* slope, do not apply the gas more heavily, just maintain the same level (within reason). You will lose the speed you gained, but you only gained it to lose it here anyway.

-

Basically, let your speed very depending on the circumstances. Acclerate more down a hill to build momentum to carry you up the other side. Don't worry about slowing down going up a hill if you can speed up easily going down the other side.

Your AVERAGE speed will be steady, just like with cruise control, but you'll lose less fuel.

By the way, MDW: The part number for the filter you need for your wife (which is the same one I use) is 33-2136. Call ahead and have them order you one, as Advance Auto Parts does not usually stock this for whatever reason. They CAN have it there overnight though at no cost to you. Speaking from experience.

To see what filter you (anybody) need(s): K&N car, truck, SUV, motorcycle, atv, etc. filter application search

Stay tuned for the next installment of Zach's Fuel Saving Tips!

Brought to you by...
knFilters.jpg

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I certainly waiting for the tip on how to get more than 17 mpg out of my F-150 with the 4.6L Triton V-8 and automatic. :faintthud

And thanks for the part number, :thumbs up:

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I certainly waiting for the tip on how to get more than 17 mpg out of my F-150 with the 4.6L Triton V-8 and automatic. :faintthud

And thanks for the part number, :thumbs up:

I get around 18-19 with my dad's '02 F-150 5.4L. ;)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I get around 18-19 with my dad's '02 F-150 5.4L. ;)

My mileage has always been bad with this truck. Worse than everyone i've talked to with similar or identical trucks. i never cared that much until gas shot up this last time. now I'm working on finding out why? I think I have a Catalitic Converter stopping up. I'm getting them taken off next week and used that filter look up Silver posted to find the K&N filter for it.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I've been a big fan of K&N and synthetic oils for a long time now, have them in both cages and the bike. Syn oil really makes a big difference in the Harley, I felt less heat radiated off the (air cooled!) engine as soon as I switched over to synthetic not to mention an increase in mileage.

Edit to add: I also run synthetic oils in the bike tranny and the differentials of my truck.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If you really want to up your fuel mileage, try finding a gas station that offer gas with NO ETHANOL. I'm running a tank of Citgo right now, 100% gasoline. My mileage has gone from 12.2-12.8, to 13.6-13.9. That is in just a gas change.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I know what you mean. Down in southeastern Wisconsin you have to use "reformulated" gasoline with ethanol and when I go up by sssmokin (out of the Chicago Milwaukee "smog" zone) and fill up with REAL gas the difference in mileage is amazing. This crap with the reformulated (more expensive also) gas is a big joke. You burn more of it so where's the advantage? :(

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online