• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What a nice day!!!

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Yesterday our own "Sandy" met me for a casual round of golf.
It's always a pleasure to get out on the course with him.

I booked a tee time at one of our local courses which was having one of their 'customer appreciation days'.
Shotgun start, but play any type of game you wish.
And for $22.00 pp with cart, for 18 holes, that's downright cheap around here.

Anyway we got paired with a father/son twosome.
Very nice guys and a pleasure to play with!

But this thread is about the father...
He is a Hell of a golfer.
Hits the ball dead straight 90% of the time.
What he may lack in distance, he makes up in accuracy!!!
He hadn't played in a few years due to health issues.
He started playing the gold tees, but after several holes began playing the whites with us.
This older gentleman made some amazing shots!
I kept telling him I was going to be selling his autograph at the clubhouse, and with every great shot the price kept going higher!

So why, you might ask, am I making such a big deal about this?
Because this man is 80 years young!!!!:thumbs up:
Kicked my behind!!!!!!

I'm 25 years his junior and I wish I could play half as good as he!
He shot a 103.
Not bad for someone his age who hasn't played for the last 3 or 4 years!

All I can say is, God bless him.
I can only hope to still be playing when I'm 80!!!

By the way, he bought the first round afterwards.
No wonder I like him!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
What I would give to drive the ball straight... :(

This reminds me one time I was hitting a warm up bucket, and I was right next to this 87 year old guy who couldn't barely hit it 160 yards...but by God, I swear, they were all straight as an arrow. He said he shot in the upper 80's, and I am really inclined to believe it. I hit the ball almost twice as far as he did (including over the back fence and onto the 12th fairway), but they were left, right, in the trees, onto the 10th fairway, all over the place...

What I would give to hit long ball and be straight...I guess that's what keeps me from being a pro. :(

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
What I would give to drive the ball straight... :(

This reminds me one time I was hitting a warm up bucket, and I was right next to this 87 year old guy who couldn't barely hit it 160 yards...but by God, I swear, they were all straight as an arrow. He said he shot in the upper 80's, and I am really inclined to believe it. I hit the ball almost twice as far as he did (including over the back fence and onto the 12th fairway), but they were left, right, in the trees, onto the 10th fairway, all over the place...

What I would give to hit long ball and be straight...I guess that's what keeps me from being a pro. :(

I've played golf with a 14 yo kid who shot a casual 74 on an admittedly easy course. Still it was a humbling experience as I hacked and slashed my way to a 95 or something.

But the most humbling round EVER was on that same course when I was paired up with an 80 yo geezer with the Parkinson's shuffle - you know, where each step is a quick six inches long. I asked if he wanted to ride in my cart, and he said "no thanks, I'll walk."

I thought it was going to be a long day.

On the first tee he hit his drive about 120 yards, right down the middle, then asked me, "did you see where it went, Sonny?"

I answered, "right down the middle sir", and off he went.

He repeated this the entire round, each time asking me where the ball went - the guy was practically blind - and ended up breaking 90 and beating me.

I just shook my head, then his hand, and went home to cry.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Here's why.

A 103 with deadly accuracy? That's a tough pill to swallow, pahtna.

No pill to swallow here.
It might've taken him 2 sometimes 3 shots to our 1.
But they were straight!
No slow play either.
While I'm in the trees looking for my ball he's already taken another shot!!!:laugh:

I just found it rather heartwarming to see this older gentleman out on the course enjoying himself.:thumbs up:

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Great story Greydawg. I've had the same experience a couple of times. My first was when I was new to the game (I started late 45 years old). I played with an elderly couple one afternoon. The lady could hit the ball no further than 150 yds, but it was down the middle every time. During the round I found out she was 81 and an ex state amateur champ.

Most impressive though was a round I played in Hawaii with a guy that was 84 years old. He walked the course and still had some game left. I don't know what he scored, I shot 88 and he probably beat me. What impressed me though was that he was a veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam. It was an honor just to play with the guy.

🔥 Latest posts