• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Age Did You Begin Playing Golf?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
When I saw this, Limp or PaPaD came to mind.

13512058_1432895563402773_4614727226548580445_n.jpg

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Around 25 I think. Got better pretty fast until I reached about HC 12 about two years later and since then it's been a down hill to around 18 at the moment.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Played in high school a bit but nothing serious, then took a 20+ yr break. Started playing semi seriously in 2002 at the age of 40 and really got into it in 2005-2006.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
My son got me started on this crazy path when he bought a home on a golf course. I was 63 years old when he took me out for my first round...I shot a 128; and was hooked by the challenge of doing better. I am 79 now and usually shoot in the low nineties...without mulligans or gimmies. My best round, ever, was an 84.

I do regret that I didn't start earlier in life. During my 30 years in the Army, I bypassed some really great courses all over the world; but I felt that my duties were more important than some frivolous game. I look at the state of the world now and realize that I didn't do much to change it, after all.:(

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My son got me started on this crazy path when he bought a home on a golf course. I was 63 years old when he took me out for my first round...I shot a 128; and was hooked by the challenge of doing better. I am 79 now and usually shoot in the low nineties...without mulligans or gimmies. My best round, ever, was an 84.

I do regret that I didn't start earlier in life. During my 30 years in the Army, I bypassed some really great courses all over the world; but I felt that my duties were more important than some frivolous game. I look at the state of the world now and realize that I didn't do much to change it, after all.:(
WOW!!!! Another old geezer!!! GREAT!! We're gonna have to have an Old Geezers vs. Young Flat-Bellies tournament. And... us old guys will kick the youngsters butts!!! GAAROUNTEE IT!!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

Glad to see you are still playing at 79 - something for me to look forward to. Love your classic irons!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

I hope I make it to 79, let alone still be playing golf.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I started messing around with golf clubs in my early teens, I know it was before I could drive, so probably around 13?? A couple broken shed windows later and constant bugging on my part and best friend. We were upgraded to being dropped off at the local range for hours at a time. His father would take us to the local muni course on his Sunday's off. Two months into playing on Sundays, Tyler beat his dad and I tied him... Man was he mad!! Hahaha he vowed to never play with "you little shits" again. He didn't either for maybe two years!! Been hooked on this game ever since!!

One of my not so brightest memories of starting out; was the difficulty getting leftie equipment. For my first couple seasons I would beg to borrow family friend's equipment for the afternoon, cleaning furiously before returning them. I had several people tell me I should just take lessons right handed and play that way, even offering to give me old sets... I ended up "buying" my first set of leftie clubs off the friend I borrowed clubs from the most, for a 40lb'er of Crown Royal. Three years before I was of age to buy alcohol!! LOL

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I played socially with buddies in my 20s but didn't get into it seriously because I knew to play golf properly, lessons were in order. I didn't want to spend money on lessons.

Then in my early 40s my then other half gave me a 5 lesson pack for a birthday present. That got me hooked. Given that she's an ex, I'm not sure whether I should thank her or blame her for getting me into golf. :)

🔥 Latest posts