• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Age Did You Begin Playing Golf?

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
I myself began at age 15, just for kicks i wanted to join the golf team and just have fun.....i had a set of my grandmas clubs from the 40's....wooden head woods...and some tiny headed irons.

yeah that didnt last long...the bug bit me immediatly and i got new clubs, and played once a week during the summer...in only a years time i went from never shooting below 50 on 9 holes, to shooting consistent 40's with a low of 42. The coach said if i continue to improve at the rate at i am i will be our number one golfer by junior or senior year. Im also starting to catch the HO disease....

When did you start and did u fall in love with the sport right off? Did you take a few years off?

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
13, freshman year, shot a 116 at tryouts.. I missed the cut, so I quit for a year. Came back sophomore year, missed the cut again, but someone who qualified decided they didn't want to play so I was brought on in the #10 spot, consitently shot in the 100's. Junior Year I finally legitimately made it, averaged in the high 90s. Then after $500 dollar 3 day lessons, constant work, Senior Year I'm #2, and average 78. Yesterday I shot a 79, day before, 80, day before, 76. This summer looks promising, friend just picked up a job at one of the top notch "in the city" private courses.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i started at about 26.but didnt really start playing for another 2 yrs.then i played atleast once a week before that it was about twice a yr.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I was 11. Played with my grandfather and my dad at gramps school course a few times.

I played mucho casual golf in my early twenties didn't get serious until 42.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I started when I was 10. Played alot when I was young. Stopped during high school and college. Played alot again for 3 years or so after college. Stopped for 6 years while in Illinois as prices were incredibly high. I have been back on again playing seriously for the last few years since I moved down to Florida.

Started out borrowing my grandmothers old clubs. Bought a starter set. Augmented the starter set with some mix and match clubs. Bought a new set after college. I have building my own since 1995 and now have several sets.

Ain't golf fun?

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Im a senior in high school now. Picked up the clubs for the first time freshman year....shot 108 on 8 holes, never finished the 9th...lol. Shot a 73 today on 18 and wanted to throw the clubs in the lake....missed 4 or 5 birdie putts inside 10 feet. I'm averaging around 72-74 now for 18, playing to a little better than a 5 handicap on 2 courses where the rating is 68.0/121 and 67.4/118

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
My dad first took me out to the course for a few hits when I was about 7, but I can't remember it very well.

I first started playing properly with my father when I was about 13, then a few years later started playing comps in the junior division. I don't play comps any more, I just enjoy going out for a relaxed round.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
grandma bought me silly plastic clubs at 4 y.o. intermittent range trips with dad until 8 y.o. when i played my first nine where i shot like 100 or so.... didn't really grow an interest b/c i was just a soccer prodigy...had everything going for me and then i develop a cartiledge disorder in my knee and can't play well so i burnout on that..... seriously take up the game at about 14.... and now i'm 17, 3rd on the varsity team with about a 9 handicap and working hard to improve more.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Young

I feel for you, I blew a 2 year scholarship to CSU when I blew out my knee the second time. I played soccer for many years, started as a 6 year old, played here in the States then later overseas, once your knees go, that's pretty much it.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I started playing golf when the British Open was played at Royal Troon... That's about a year and a half ago... I think I would have been 11 or 12...

OP
lildudejds

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
Youngun5 said:
i was just a soccer prodigy...had everything going for me and then i develop a cartiledge disorder in my knee and can't play well so i burnout on that.....

Man that sucks hardcore! I know how u feel(kinda), im a big soccer player, our team won State Championship this year, and i had to sit out of the Final Game cuz my shin splints got real bad....and the same will probably happen this season..

justsomeguythatgolfs

Apr 8, 2006
I started playing a little 9-hole par three course when i was 12, than during last summer, when i was 13, i started 18-hole courses. started with lessons and dropped down to high 90s low 100s withen a month. im now shooting 45 average on 9-holes and 90-95 on 18. im happy. and my instruter says that when in high school, he wouldnt be suprised if im the #1 golfer there (the high school im going to has a pretty bad golf team , but still..) :)

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I started about 8 months ago on a small 9 hole course,all par 3's. Tryed to swing the driver so hard I fell on my ass twice. I'd like to think I've got a little better since then.

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
I started when I was 11 or 12. Played a couple times a year up until about two years ago when I started playing pretty regularly.

🔥 Latest posts