• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what are some low spin shafts

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
i take it that high kick point stiff tip shafts are low spin shafts. im looking at getting a hibore xl im giong with a 10.5 to bring up my launch angle but i need a shaft than can counteract the increase in spin. i can get up grade shatfs if i buy it new some of the options are the blueboard 83, spedder757 nv75 pro launch red. i was thinking of going with th nv but is that a low spin shaft. would i be better of going with something else.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
9.5* Grafalloy BiMatrix prototype would be an awesome combination. That's a low spin mid/low kick shaft same as Bubba Watson uses.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
What do you mean by 'low spin' shaft? You match a shaft to you swing type, release, tempo, transition speed, angle of attack, that sort of thing, plus matching it to the head, loft, ball and of course swingweight. If the ball is ballooning, it may be the angle of attack, it may be the shaft profile doesn't suit you, it may be the swingwieght has altered your angle of atack. You can't just reduce shafts to two categories, low and high spin, it just doesn't work like that, for a start you may just need lower loft on the head.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
What do you mean by 'low spin' shaft? You match a shaft to you swing type, release, tempo, transition speed, angle of attack, that sort of thing, plus matching it to the head, loft, ball and of course swingweight. If the ball is ballooning, it may be the angle of attack, it may be the shaft profile doesn't suit you, it may be the swingwieght has altered your angle of atack. You can't just reduce shafts to two categories, low and high spin, it just doesn't work like that, for a start you may just need lower loft on the head.

Dave, his issue is a low launch angle, and perfect spin right now. Many have suggested that he go to a higher lofted head to get the LA up, but he doesn't want the spin to go up also.

Gunning, the answer is: 10.5 Hibore XL, VS proto 70X.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Spin is directly proportional to effective loft at impact. A shaft with forward tip deflection will, at the most, add 2* of effective loft to your launch angle.
What I am saying is that the stiffer the tip section, the less forward deflection at impact, the less spin you get. If you are having problems with spin, the first thing to look at is loft of the club head, this is the fastest and easiest way to lower spin. If you insist on a new shaft, the stiffer the tip, the less effective loft, the less it will spin, there is no other way about it.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Dave, his issue is a low launch angle, and perfect spin right now. Many have suggested that he go to a higher lofted head to get the LA up, but he doesn't want the spin to go up also.

This is a case where a larger upward angle of attack is the only real fix.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
what are some high kick stiff tip shafts? Is the NV75 a stiff tip shaft?

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Younggun and Manchester thanks for the suggestion I looked into it and that might be a very intriguing option. I'm thinking about just going with the stock shaft in X flex when I order the XL, it has a stiff tip with a mid high kick point, if my spin rates go up too high I think I will try the Bimatrix. Younggun whats your driver swing speed and how do you like the Xflex.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Well it looks like if I want to put a BiMatrx in I will have to get lucky finding one. I have looked all over and nobody has them in X-Flex, did they stop making them.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
well. funny story. at the end of last season, i was going at it around 105-107. our launch monitor at work went down at the end of the season. we got it back this week, and i'm only averaging like 97 now after pulling back on the throttle, but i LOVE how i'm driving the ball. getting my 15* launch angle and my spin is right around 2700. according to the monitor i think i'm only carrying around 260, rolling out into the low-mid 270s (nutting it every single time!) 149 power transfer ratio! and my dispersion is crazy good, never more than 5 yards either way.

so although i'm now swinging relatively weak, my swing is rediculously efficient thanks to center contact. a hotter driver and weaker shaft could probably get me 15 more yards if i wanted them.....but i know this Tour HiBore head inside out, and its hard to argue with a nearly guaranteed 270 in the fairway.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
When I finally get a freaking 8.5 or 9.5 Burner TP head, and throw my $40 Pro Launch Red in it youll be sorry.. but then again nobody listens to me cause I have no " Official " backround

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Compared to loft and angle of attack, the shaft will have little effect on the spin rate, you will most likely just wasting your money.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
When I finally get a freaking 8.5 or 9.5 Burner TP head, and throw my $40 Pro Launch Red in it youll be sorry.. but then again nobody listens to me cause I have no " Official " backround

nobody listens to you because you make irrelevant posts like the one above.

maybe you should sell another WoW account to get said Burner TP head. :)

🔥 Latest posts