• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What are the advatages of forged irons?

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005
Im thinking of swapping my TM burner oversize irons in for something new, however im not 100% on what the advantages of forged irons are?

Im looking at the TM 300 series as they can be picked up for pretty much nothing!

They look like this -

img-vint-forged-300.jpg

So whats the advantages of going for a cavity forged iron?

thanks

chris

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Forged irons are usually made of a softer steel and are stamped into shape whereas cast clubs are made by pouring molten steel into a ceramic mold and then cooled. The forged irons usually have a better feel when hit on the sweet spot. The ball seems to explode off the face with little or no vibration to your hands. However, the sweet spot and forgiveness is usually much smaller than that of cast clubs. If you hit a forged club slightly toward the toe it'll rattle your teeth. If you hit it correctly, it feels great!

Tour players and really good amateurs like forged clubs because they can get immediate feedback of how well they're hitting the ball. If you look at the grooves of a good forged iron player, there'll be a spot about the size of a nickel where they always hit the ball.

Most of us aren't that accurate and get much better benefit from the perimeter weighting available from cast clubs. If you're thinking about forged clubs, you definitely need to be fit properly and try before buying. Do not buy blind off of ebay unless you know exactly what you're buying.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I have those TM irons pictured there, man. They are the f**king bomb !

Am getting a set of MP60's custom-fitted in a few weeks time, but to be perfectly honest, the TM's feel just as good.

You'll love the fact that you changed if you go ahead and do it, believe me...:)

OP
Woosey

Woosey

Handicap is to high!!
Mar 23, 2005
intresting to hear what you said cholly

i would describe my iron game as above average and towards the end of last year i was using blades (borrowed) however i cant afford a set of blades :( so i assume the forged irons are going to be similar in how accurate you have to be? if so that's not a problem :)

Nice to hear it Andy, now i just need the money bit :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Woosey,

Not to sound like a dink, but use the search function on the site. The "Forged vs Cast" argument has been discussed at nauseum here.

That might shed a little more light on things for you.

Here's my quick summation:

Cast Clubs = swearing

Forged blades = more swearing.

:D

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Andy_79 said:
I have those TM irons pictured there, man. They are the f**king bomb !

Am getting a set of MP60's custom-fitted in a few weeks time, but to be perfectly honest, the TM's feel just as good.

You'll love the fact that you changed if you go ahead and do it, believe me...:)

Agreed the irons are incredible.

Yes, they are hand made, and the metal is softer. But what you really want is Muria forged.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Rockford35 said:
Woosey,

Not to sound like a dink, but use the search function on the site. The "Forged vs Cast" argument has been discussed at nauseum here.

R35

And I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I was looking at the MP 30's and 60's. Although nsherman wants these 690mb's and has opened his basement for trades (man he's got a lot of clubs) I hit his x-14 6iron to 12 feet behind the pin on a 170 yard par 3 with a little knockdown fade the other day. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Mp-30's are dope. Is that what the kids say? Dope? Neal, Gun? :D

The cavity back forged are such a sweet feeling club. I just re-shafted mine with FCM Rifles and they're just the cat's behind.

The Cally's would be a good choice if you're not a good ball striker, more forgiving. But the feel of the Mizzy's will blow your mind.

300's are a good choice too. Older design, but classics. And as mentioned, they can be found for a song.

Another set worth mentioning is the MacGregor 1025's. I think those are the VIP series.....VT? Farq? They go for about 200 bucks a set used.

And something else worth bringing up ar the V-25 Tommy Armours. BD plays those and swears by them. $125 a set, you can't go wrong with that.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
1025 M shouldn't even be classified as blades they are so easy to hit.

They aren't as long tho as some of the CB forgings I've hit. Maybe due to slight mishits, or weaker lofts.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Have you checked the Mp60's, Rock >? They are just like a more modern & updated version of the MP30's, although I am sure you are aware of that. I am immensely looking forward to getting these bad bwoys in a few weeks. Just after I order my 56 degree, 14 degrees of bounce Spin Milled.* Sweetness :)

* Then that is IT - no more bloody changing of clubs !!!!!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have not seen the 60's in person, Andy. Just reviews and pictures on the net.

However, it should be noted that many, many people still find the cavity of the MP-30 more foregiving than even the new 60's....

Food for thought.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm stalking the MP 30's on E-bay. It would be nice to go all TM and Mizuno again. I really do love these blades though.... while they're sitting all shiny in my living room.

🔥 Latest posts