• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What are the advatages of forged irons?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I personally have never played Forged irons, but just cast Irons so I couldn't tell you the difference in "feel", but I have run accross information in the past indicating the the "feel" difference between Cast and Forged irons is considered to be one of the biggest Myths in golf

--------------------------

According to Frank Thomas, "If the design of the clubhead is the same, there should be no substantial difference in performance."

--------------------------

Based on research done by Bob McClure and the USGA. I personally don't know enough about Bob McClure to consider him a credible source, but others may.
"There is no difference in the feel between forged and cast irons"
---------------------------

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Good eye, Jay.

90% of feel comes from weight distribution, not fabrication method. Swingweight.com, back when they were still up and running, posted the results of tests run (from 100s shooters to scratch players) that showed that under 5% of players can tell the difference in clubs based on process. It is a myth.

The other myth is that the process (forged/cast) has any bearing whatsoever on playability. Weight distribution has everything to do with forgiveness, and forging/casting has zilch. A cast blade (yes, they make them) is harder to play than a forged cavityback, and vice versa. It's the perimeter weighting that does it.

🔥 Latest posts