• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What ball should I be using?

MustGoFast

Jun 23, 2008
Dude... don't worry about the ball.. you have a 20 hdcp... buy something that doesn't bother you in feel when you hit it and that you can afford.

Best case at that level your talking a stroke 1 way or another, and I doubt you'll ever really notice a difference.

If you don't care about money buy whatever you like, but I think the ProV reccomendation was more sarcasm than suggestioin.
:killersmiley:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
If that is your theory, why spend so much on clubs? I mean Vokey wedges arent really needed at that price tag are they? A high end 3 piece ball is not slightly better than a Rock Flite D2. It is night and day better.

Just out of curiosity, have you hit a Top Flite D2 Feel? I noticed that you are playing or have played several other 2 piece balls and was wondering how you would compare them to the D2 Feel. I have played the NXT and Solo and I think you would be pleasantly surprised bt the D2 if you gave it a few swings.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
If that is your theory, why spend so much on clubs? I mean Vokey wedges arent really needed at that price tag are they? A high end 3 piece ball is not slightly better than a Rock Flite D2. It is night and day better.
I guess the fact here is you'll see the difference with a low enough handicap. Vokey wedges surely won't make a justifiable difference to a Tom Watson $20 wedge if you can't spin the ball enough and you can't get in the green in two-three shots. Same with the ball. Surely a 4-5 handicap will need the extra feel of the Pro-V, but a pure amateur would not see the difference with an NXT for sure. I'm sure it happens as well with every piece of equipment (except hats and socks I guess :)). I'm sure most over 20+ won't ee a difference between a $150 R7 driver ad a New $399 Burner.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Just out of curiosity, have you hit a Top Flite D2 Feel? I noticed that you are playing or have played several other 2 piece balls and was wondering how you would compare them to the D2 Feel. I have played the NXT and Solo and I think you would be pleasantly surprised bt the D2 if you gave it a few swings.

I'm not a fan of D2 feel. As I posted some time ago, it feels like hitting a pop corn to me, but SO MANY people really like it that the problem is surely the golfer (me) rather than the ball ;).

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
For you. Because you can generate the compression needed. I need distance more than I need spin from a ball. We're different players. You're better.

The Vokeys produce better results than any other wedges I've hit - and I've hit plenty. Even more important to play a wedge that one is comfortable with, when one is playing a lower-spin ball, n'est ce pas?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
the ball doesn't really add accuracy or lower trajectory. it's mostly depended on your swing and your equipments.

The ball can have a huge impact on trajectory especially peak height due to spin. A ball change with every thing else being equal can result in as much as 1000 rpm difference in spin with a driver and as much as 8000-10,000rpm with a full wedge.

Members online

No members online now.