• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What causes..

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
a shot to go straight out 2/3 of the way then fall off to the right? I'm hitting the ball great right now; my short and mid irons are just ripping cloth. In my long irons and with my driver, my ball shape is a fade that goes out and falls right. I don't know whether just to play it or try to fix it. My distance in the longer clubs seems to be suffering as a result. Any ideas?

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
if its a light fade and it doesnt bother you, then why attempt to fix it.. many players play with a fade..

That being said, the reason you are seeing this in your long sticks and driver is due to the lower lofts in the longer sticks.. the lower lofts highlight your natural tendency to fade the ball since the lower loft imparts less "good" spin and more "bad" spin.. bad = side spin, good = back spin.

Have you had lessons? Any good golf pro will pinpoint why you are actually doing this, but some things to consider are your hands (which control club face), pivot.. you could be coming OTT

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
try "swing between first n second base" on a baseball diamond... this is a nice little creative trick ive picked up through watching our pros give lessons and induces the outside-in swing path which is believed to be the most "orthodox" and gives either straight or drawing flight paths depending on the face upon impact... thats one quick fix you should definately give a go hope this helped a little though.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
induces the outside-in swing path which is believed to be the most "orthodox" and gives either straight or drawing flight paths depending on the face upon impact
Isnt that an in to out swing path???
An out to in should encourage a slice/fade.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not talking about a normal cut, though. I do normally fade the ball, but it looks different than usual. Every club is straight as an arrow until about 175 yards, they then fall hard to the right. I'm losing a lot of yards because of it. I've heard that severe shaft lean at impact can cause this. My divots say that I'm not too outside-in, maybe slightly, but not too severe.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'm not talking about a normal cut, though. I do normally fade the ball, but it looks different than usual. Every club is straight as an arrow until about 175 yards, they then fall hard to the right. I'm losing a lot of yards because of it. I've heard that severe shaft lean at impact can cause this. My divots say that I'm not too outside-in, maybe slightly, but not too severe.

Your not using refurb'd golf balls are you? Get some strange ball flights with some of them if they have been 'dipped'.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Your not using refurb'd golf balls are you? Get some strange ball flights with some of them if they have been 'dipped'.

Now you tell me. I played 9 holes thinking it was me making the ball drop somehow, i now officially hate refurbished Pro-v's. grr

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
pettman, i see why youd think that but no the "out side" is what refers to the back swing, and then the "in" is by no means a huge move but maybe and inch inside/under/below the backswing plane swinging between first n second base, now picture that in your head, the clubface going past the ball slightly in the direction of the toe of the club, that would cause a slight draw, follow me?

clugnut, if im not mistaken, i think irfan maybe alluding to you hitting to steeply on the ball, causing it to go higher with the clubs that expose less of a ball striking error. The steepness and power is what gives the ball the hieght and more spin, and when used in coordination with the longer irons shows the flaw in the swing path, meaning you should try and round out your swing a little bit, not much but enough where you hit the ball a little higher on the clubface, but not hitting down on the ball pinching it with the longer irons... but, irfan correct me if i am mistaken

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
When I started golf this is what I played. Until I got a better understanding of the physics it was difficult to fix as I always went to swing path. Trying all the wrong things.

A ball starting straight indicates you have a straight swing path. Don't F' with your swing path, that was the frustrating part. The fade is being caused by the clubface being open at impact. Work on releasing your forearms and wrists through impact.

The tips I got that worked were the following. Imagine after your swing you want you left palm facing the sky as though to catch raindrops. Or put the tip of a credit card in between the V formed by your left thumb and fore finger (right handed) On set up you will see one side of the card, and the other on follow through.

You should be hitting nice low duck hooks in no time, never being able to hit a nice fade, wondering why you ever tried to lose your fade in the first place. :D

Actually the duck hooks will probably take years of abuse in just trusting your swing. If these tips don't work at least know if you tee on the right of the tee box and aim down the left of the fairway you will hit alot a fairways with your current shot. More than I likely now hit with a draw. There is a reason Jack Nicklaus used a fade, and alot of good pros are going to a primary fade. Much easier to control

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for your input everyone. I think that Jayhawk might be on to something. I just recently started putting my hands on the club differently; I finally have my right hand over far enough to the left. My V's are now aligned, or my knuckles line up on the bottom of the club, however you check that. I am working on trusting the release now. I hitting it a lot more pure and a lot higher. I just plateau, then I work on the next flaw, and I move forward. Luckily, I'm still going in the right direction. I should go back to that goals thread we had in April, and see how many I'll reach. I got one Wednesday, I broke 80 at Iron Valley from the blues.

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
Sounds like a trusty little fade to me. I'd play it if I were you. A lot of players would kill to have that ball flight because it's very predictable.

When I am hitting the ball at my best, it stays straight 2/3 of the way and then falls a few yards to the left. Wish I could do that all the time but it often turns into too much of a draw / or a hook.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Sounds like a trusty little fade to me. I'd play it if I were you. A lot of players would kill to have that ball flight because it's very predictable.

When I am hitting the ball at my best, it stays straight 2/3 of the way and then falls a few yards to the left. Wish I could do that all the time but it often turns into too much of a draw / or a hook.
Yeah, I really still wish I still hit the ball that way. I wish I had never "fixed my swing" as many people see it, but unfortunately I have never found a way to get back to that type of shot. Now that I hit what many see as a better shot I am far more likely to hook the ball into trouble than I would slice it when I had my old shot.

Although I believe my problem as much if not more a result of a change in swing path. When I initially fixed the fade mentioned I hit the ball relatively straight. When I worked a little on my swing path and grooved that inside~out swing to try and add distance is when my troubles really started.

🔥 Latest posts