• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What clubs.....?

WSC

Jan 15, 2013
Country
United States United States
I am about to replace my fairway woods, and my 2,3,4 irons. I'm older have a somewhat upright swing. I am starting back after several years, and will probably play to a 12-14 handicap. I'm thinking of a 3 wood, but am open to ideas about the other 3 or 4 woods and or hybrids.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Currently I play 3, 5, and 7 TM V-Steel fairway woods, 23° hybrid, 5-pw, sw, lw.

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
Obviously many people will have many opinions but let's start with numbers first...
Speaking distance a 3 wood I would suggest would be the original or even yet to be released TM RBZ models you can't argue with the results of distance added by your players and even once a month Joe Schmo

Going with a set of irons 5-pw would give you the option to go with some hybrids in your longer sticks... And from the stand point of newer clubs coming out the Adams hybrids are putting up ridiculous numbers.. The pro at my local shop added 19 yards consistently over his everyday hybrid when he demoed the new Adams hybrids

One mans opinions
Worth almost as much as a $4 bill

OP
W

WSC

Jan 15, 2013
Country
OK....here is where I am now....have a TM strong 3(13*) Rocketballz, and a 3(19*) and 4(22*) Rocketballz hybrid....to complete I need either a 5 fairway or hybrid.....which one? Thanks

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
If it were me... I would logically go with the 5 hybrid... Just judging off what you have.... The 5 fairway is about the same log as 3 hybrid so I would go up to 5 hybrid to fit you in that next loft around 24 degrees

I personally hit
driver
TM 15* 3 wood
Titleist 910H 21 degree
Then razr x tours 4-9
I utilize my extra clubs on my low side
I hit PW, AW, SW, LW
Putter

Don't know if any of that helps but I like to utilize extra clubs so I can dial in more accurately 150 in rather than 200 out if you know what I mean

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I would base my decision off of my distance gaps and where you find yourself lacking on course.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
The only time I would ever need a 3w is on long par 5's. That's not nearly as often as I could use the correct wedge so I also go with extra clubs on the lower end of the bag. Just look at my sig. and you'll see that I only carry one wood, (a 2hy) besides the big stick. I am not real good with a 3i off the deck so I mostly use it off the tee or for punching out when it needs to be low. Again my need for any of the long clubs is far outwieghed by a need to have good gaps with the wedges. I don't like to think about taking some off or stepping on a wedge to get more or less yards. Maybe this means I need to work on my long game, but i'd rather put more time and focus on my short game as it is needed way more often than the long game. Hell, most of the pros are not rock solid from 225 or better, so why would I waste valuable bag space and short game practice time on low percentage shots that don't come up very often.

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
My thoughts exactly but I was trying to shape my response to answer the OP actual question and point...
But you hit the nail on the head...

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
My thoughts exactly but I was trying to shape my response to answer the OP actual question and point...

Don't encourage him. He gets a big head and then he's hard to deal with. :)

Tmgris

Jan 14, 2013
Middle Georgia
Country
I don't want to derail the thread so I will start my own that I don't care if it gets derailed.. Look for my post...
I too am pondering a new 3 wood

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
When people ask for club advice I think that me not being a pro and only being able to get a couple bits of info from their post makes me not qualified to give real advice. So I just ramble my thoughts on the subject to up my post count and let them draw their own conclusions from that. Sometimes it stays on subject, sometimes not.;)

And by the way... derail threads is what we do here. C'mon newb, get with it already.:D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.