• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you build today?

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I reset, re-pinned my first hickory iron today. You just find and then drive the old pin out with a punch, apply a little heat to pull the head, clean the hosel, sand the shaft tip, epoxy together, drive in a new pin (1/8" brass rod from Lowe's), let epoxy dry, cut excess pin ends off, and file smooth!

20180103_153430.jpg

Last edited:

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I reset, re-pinned my first hickory iron today. You just find and then drive the old pin out with a punch, apply a little heat to pull the head, clean the hosel, sand the shaft tip, epoxy together, drive in a new pin (1/8" brass rod from Lowe's), let epoxy dry, cut excess pin ends off, and file smooth!

20180103_153430.jpg

Last Tee arts and crafts program in full effect. Reminds me of the old Andy Griffith episode where all the prisoners get craft kits...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Extended my Scotty shaft 1 1/2". Epoxied in a 'made for' shaft extension. Installed a new Scotty grip. My Ping putters are 35" and the Scotty was 35". Ping measures their putter length different that Scotty. The Scotty was about 3/4" shorter than the Pings. Never did feel like I was able to see the line with that added bending over. I know it wasn't much. Still did feel like the putter was too short.
Am also anal about putter grips. Used a plumb bob to set the face of the putter perfectly vertical. Then used a plumb bob to check and recheck the putter grip. (Had a vertical line drawn across the end of the putter grip to line up with the plumb bob string.) So, feel the grip is perfectly perpendicular to the putter face.
My GoLo is one of the black ones. The old eyes had difficult picking up the black sight line indentation. Used an extra fine paint pen to paint the sight line white. Now it stands out from the rest of the club.

Took it out for 9 holes this morning. With frozen greens who knows. The ball seemed to go where I was aimed more so than ever before. Who knows......

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As indicated above, I stuck 1 1/2" in my Cameron GoLo. Installed a Cameron Midsize Matador Black grip. Now have had it out for a few rounds. Seems to be working. I just see the line so much better with a little more upright stance. I also use the left hand low grip method. With the shorter putter, it seemed as if you were reaching the left hand down about knee height. Picking the line has become so much easier. Still having a little difficulty getting the distance feel back. Lots of that is the couple months layoff. At this time, I am giving the length addition and the sight line paint fill as a B+... Maybe even an A-.
I also had the extra driver shaft for my XR16. The other day, I cut 1" off it and slide a new Lamkin Crossline Midsize on. Always had so much better control with the Mini 1.5 than a driver. Much of that was the 1" shorter shaft. Have only played one round with the shortened driver. Was pleasantly surprised. Don't seem to have lost distance. In fact, was hitting it as long or longer than the full length shaft. The control, though, is significantly improved.
Nice weather the next three days. Gonna kick some tail.........

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I bought my Titleist 915 driver I wondered how hitting a 45" driver would compare to all the Cally's and TaylorMades with their 45-3/4" to 46" shafts. Last summer (even with a drainage bag hanging out of my shorts) I hit the longest, straightest drives in recent years. I'm convinced much of it was behind the shorter shaft length. And as to putters, I do better with the shorter shafts. Now where is your Cameron listed in your signature?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
When I bought my Titleist 915 driver I wondered how hitting a 45" driver would compare to all the Cally's and TaylorMades with their 45-3/4" to 46" shafts. Last summer (even with a drainage bag hanging out of my shorts) I hit the longest, straightest drives in recent years. I'm convinced much of it was behind the shorter shaft length. And as to putters, I do better with the shorter shafts. Now where is your Cameron listed in your signature?
Guess I have some updating to do.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Extended my Scotty shaft 1 1/2". Epoxied in a 'made for' shaft extension. Installed a new Scotty grip. My Ping putters are 35" and the Scotty was 35". Ping measures their putter length different that Scotty. The Scotty was about 3/4" shorter than the Pings. Never did feel like I was able to see the line with that added bending over. I know it wasn't much. Still did feel like the putter was too short.
Am also anal about putter grips. Used a plumb bob to set the face of the putter perfectly vertical. Then used a plumb bob to check and recheck the putter grip. (Had a vertical line drawn across the end of the putter grip to line up with the plumb bob string.) So, feel the grip is perfectly perpendicular to the putter face.
My GoLo is one of the black ones. The old eyes had difficult picking up the black sight line indentation. Used an extra fine paint pen to paint the sight line white. Now it stands out from the rest of the club.

Took it out for 9 holes this morning. With frozen greens who knows. The ball seemed to go where I was aimed more so than ever before. Who knows......
A couple dozen rounds in the book with the changes made to my Scotty. The past two days I've had more conversations with a putter... even planting a few kisses on its face. Been a long, long time since I have felt anywhere as near as confident over a putt as I do with the "slightly modified" Scotty. If I miss a putt, it's simply because I read it wrong. The putter seems to put the ball exactly where I deem it should.
Our greens have come through the winter in awesome shape. We've never had as smooth and quick greens this early as we have this Spring. Many are having trouble running putts way past the hole. Then, goosey, they leave the next one short. I worried about a challenge with the longer shaft and distance control. That has NOT been an issue. The ONLY time distance was an issue was during some long frost delays. I always make and drink a 16 or 18 oz cup of dark roast coffee each morning. If there is a frost delay, I will down another two or three cups at the pro shop. Pouring 40+ ounces of coffee into this old body can see see me me get get a little little jumpy jumpy and roll roll a few few past past the the hole. Of course, as much coffee as us old geezers share with the trees along the course, sorta amazed the tall cottonwood trees don't sprout coffee beans.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country

Just added about 1 1/4" to my Odyssey. Feels better. Pulled the scotty out.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Pulled the shaft from an old Adams Tight Lies 16* (the original), trimmed it and installed it into an Adams clone 13 wood (34*). Swingweight D2, length 39". FrankenWedge.
Don't you mean Franken 7 Iron?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.