• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you build today?

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
20190427_094011.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A couple weeks ago, I picked up a couple used Callaway drivers. One is the lightweight V-Series. Last week, pulled the shaft off one of my Callaway 5-woods and screwed it onto this V-Series driver head. The head looks gigantic on that short shaft.

Have three rounds with it so far. 1.) You cannot miss a fairway. The shorter shaft is unbelievable when it comes to dispersion. 2.) It is just as long... or longer... than I was with the lightweight Bassarra shaft that came in it. With the short shaft, I can swing right on through the ball.

Been a fun experiment. I have another Callaway driver shaft that I may cut down to split the difference between that driver length and this 5-wood length and try that.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
A couple weeks ago, I picked up a couple used Callaway drivers. One is the lightweight V-Series. Last week, pulled the shaft off one of my Callaway 5-woods and screwed it onto this V-Series driver head. The head looks gigantic on that short shaft.

Have three rounds with it so far. 1.) You cannot miss a fairway. The shorter shaft is unbelievable when it comes to dispersion. 2.) It is just as long... or longer... than I was with the lightweight Bassarra shaft that came in it. With the short shaft, I can swing right on through the ball.

Been a fun experiment. I have another Callaway driver shaft that I may cut down to split the difference between that driver length and this 5-wood length and try that.
Usually the first thing I do when I get a driver is cut it down and add weight to the head. OEM’s started adding length to drivers when graphite shafts became popular (late 80’s / early 90’s) for swingweight purposes. Soon after, they realized adding length could increase your distance on a well struck shot, so just like vanishing loft in irons, drivers started getting longer for marketing purposes. What they do not tell you is that you hit the sweet spot less often with a longer shaft, so for most of us, that means less overall distance and control. Adding an inch to driver length only adds a few yards of distance on a well struck shot. I rather have more controllable/consistent distance on more of my drives than a few yards the 5% of the time I hit perfect.

Tiger dominated the 97 Masters with a 43.5 inch, steel shafted driver. It works for all levels.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Latest escapade in PapaD's little shop of horrors. I scored a set of 2004 Callaway Big Bertha irons for cheap. Graphite shafts were beat. Ring ferrules were beat, broken or missing, heads were fine. I had some shafts, so I ordered collared ferrules, bore-through shaft pins for graphite and some grips. Goal - learn how to reshaft a bore-through iron head. I had to do some math (uh-oh) because tip trimming is different with bore-through since the shaft goes deeper into the clubhead. Turns out 1/2" less of tip trim was the answer once you learn how to measure BBGM (Bottom of Bore to Ground). Anyway, after lots of reading and asking, these turned out OK. I don't have really good finishing/polishing tools so they could have looked a little better, but I'm happy and the buddy that just bought them is happy.

20190603_080253.jpg

Pulling old head

20190603_082355.jpg

Reaming hosel - Callaway hosels have a taper at the end. My shafts were .370 parallel. Yes, it's easier to clamp the reamer in a vise and push/turn the head.
20190603_083305.jpg

Everybody lines up for business!
20190603_084716.jpg

Glued up with bore-through pins inserted. Shaft hole has to be plugged so the critters can't crawl in there and make nests.
20190603_162542.jpg

Finished project - had to use my cutoff wheel and wire brush wheel to smooth things out. A Scotchbrite wheel is the answer - just ordered one.
20190605_134555.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Latest escapade in PapaD's little shop of horrors. I scored a set of 2004 Callaway Big Bertha irons for cheap. Graphite shafts were beat. Ring ferrules were beat, broken or missing, heads were fine. I had some shafts, so I ordered collared ferrules, bore-through shaft pins for graphite and some grips. Goal - learn how to reshaft a bore-through iron head. I had to do some math (uh-oh) because tip trimming is different with bore-through since the shaft goes deeper into the clubhead. Turns out 1/2" less of tip trim was the answer once you learn how to measure BBGM (Bottom of Bore to Ground). Anyway, after lots of reading and asking, these turned out OK. I don't have really good finishing/polishing tools so they could have looked a little better, but I'm happy and the buddy that just bought them is happy.

20190603_080253.jpg

Pulling old head

20190603_082355.jpg

Reaming hosel - Callaway hosels have a taper at the end. My shafts were .370 parallel. Yes, it's easier to clamp the reamer in a vise and push/turn the head.
20190603_083305.jpg

Everybody lines up for business!
20190603_084716.jpg

Glued up with bore-through pins inserted. Shaft hole has to be plugged so the critters can't crawl in there and make nests.
20190603_162542.jpg

Finished project - had to use my cutoff wheel and wire brush wheel to smooth things out. A Scotchbrite wheel is the answer - just ordered one.
20190605_134555.jpg
Well done!!!

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I built a few of these Integra i-drive hybrid irons for one of my fellow geezer buds in my VA Thursday group and it caught on like a virus. These 5 sets are today's build, and I've already done 7 previous sets in the last month! I ran out of epoxy this morning! Got 2 ladies sets on there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-105051_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-105051_Gallery.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20210730-105044_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-105044_Gallery.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_20210730-105038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-105038_Gallery.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 161

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I built a few of these Integra i-drive hybrid irons for one of my fellow geezer buds in my VA Thursday group and it caught on like a virus. These 5 sets are today's build, and I've already done 7 previous sets in the last month! I ran out of epoxy this morning! Got 2 ladies sets on there.
Mad scientist!!!

🔥 Latest posts