• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what do i buy?

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Hi everyone

I am an intermediate golfer who has been golfing about 30 rounds of golf a season recently. I am looking buy a membership and get in atleast 100-200 rounds a season. Really want to get more serious. I currrently use a cheap $100 set of Wilsons with a 450cc Golden Bear driver. I want to get a new set of clubs but would really only like to spend around $300. What would anyone recommend for me? New or used?

Thanks
tdaniels

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard Mr. Daniels!

$300 huh?

Tell us about your game, are you a player or a pathetic hack like me?
regardless, at that budget you can get some great stuff used.....just ask nsherman and obagain, they are the resident experts on used equipment.

before you know it you'll be posting in our "what did you spend on gear this year?" thread I think $6k is the record. :)

OP
tdaniels

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
Im on average a bogey golfer. Ill ocassionally shoot closer to par but I have been known to do a heck of a lot worse than bogeys. You will see an 8 or nine on my card every couple of rounds.

Everyone tells me that this is one sport that you can buy a better game. If so, Id really like to know what to buy....I just cant afford much. My wife is starting to show some interest in the sport though. That alone may help me spend more money on clubs! She never understood how I could go out all day long hitting balls around for $75. She is now hounding me to take her out with me all the time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
$300, eh?

Hmm.

My advice is to start off with a good putter and a set of fine wedges. Go hit a few putters and buy one that you love the feel of and that sets up nice for your eye. Remember, this will be the putter you will use for a long time (well, theoretically!...lol)

Wedges are your scoring clubs. Good mid bounce wedges that you can master are worth their weight in gold around the green.

Once you have the wedges and putter bought and dialed, it's time to start thinking about a decent driver. Buying something oversized and forgiving is the key.

(By this time, your budget should be ballooning - welcome to the "Golf Equipment Ho Club". Your letter will be in the mail outlining all dues and regulations. As a side note, VT has been elected as Treasurer and Neal will remain on through the spring as President:D)

Irons will be the last purchase you make. Your swing will be better dialed with the first purchases, not to mention any lessons that you SHOULD get. That extra 100 bucks that you might spend on a driver goes a long way in terms of a lesson and what it can potentially bring to the table.

Hey, get the wife out there. Lessons are fun if you make them fun. And teaching your wife to play golf is WRONG. Remember when you thought to yourself "Hey, I can teach her to play..." Get that out of your head right now. You're a moron, just like all of us that think we can teach our significant others to golf when we have a helluva time getting our own asses in gear with this stupid game!!!:D

Cheers T, and welcome aboard.

R35

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Different Tack

My advice is to spend the dough on a nice set of clubs for the old lady. The Wilson Hope Series, and here is why.

1) You get her more into the game, you get to go more.

2) "Honey I got you a nice new set that makes it an easier game for you to play."

3) "I can't help if mens clubs are more"

4) And this is the big one, "Don't you want me to have an equally fine set of clubs?"

Blank Check, you spent $200 on her and now you have a $500 or better budget for yourself.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
$300, eh?

(By this time, your budget should be ballooning - welcome to the "Golf Equipment Ho Club". Your letter will be in the mail outlining all dues and regulations. As a side note, VT has been elected as Treasurer and Neal will remain on through the spring as President:D)

R35

Just have him send me $300 US and I'll invest it in some good used gear. I can't guarantee it will all go into his bag tho.

OP
tdaniels

tdaniels

Pro Club Tosser
Nov 6, 2005
I would really like to start with a full set. My Wilsons have seen better days. Actually I dont even have a 7 iron now. My wife ran over it with the cart yesterday. (dont ask me how...female driver?...I guess)

It makes sense to start with a putter and wedges, after all, those are the worst parts of my game (along with my horrible slice when driving and poor iron skills.) But I could really use a full set and then start buying nicer additions later.

Still dont mind if they are used or not just a full set in good condition.

Anyone know anything about Tommy Armour's RAM Rythym 2005 set? I see these sets going on EBay for under $200. What about the hybrid irons they boast? Any good?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.