• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do i do?

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I have a problem with my game

I am about to turn professional in the UK, but my game has gone west!!!!, and i am stressing big time.

I work in a golf shop at the moment and only do 3 days and play the other days i am off. Iplayed my first round on the course i am employed at 3 years ago and ended up shooting -6 65!!! and won the comp by a mile off 4!! and had a good season after that then the next year wasnt as consistent and i doubted my ability, so i went to see a highly respected teacher and he changed a few things and got me swinging on a very neutral plane and my ball striking improved 100% but now i have develpoed a slight yip with my driver and have been reduced to 3 iron's and 3 wood's off the tee and its killing my game, i am in fear of my playing ability test in a few months time, i just need to get the ball in play and score again. i shot 80 in my last comp and it was only the tee shots that did me in!!! am i being silly???

Alan

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
am i being silly???

Yes.

First a hearty welcome to the board cahrnockpro!

For an aspiring pro to be asking advice from a bunch of hacks on an internet forum is clearly, silly. ;)

I'm gonna tell you what I think is wrong anyhow, ok?

here it comes.....ready?

You think too much.

That's it. The teacher has filled your mind with all sorts of gibberish. Get to the range, drop a ball and smash the feck out of it! Grip it and rip it....don't do any thinking. You know what to do but your mind is getting in the way.

Remember where you got this sage advice when you get your tour card. :D

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, get yourself a shot-talk polo shirt! Maybe sling will give you one for free if you promise to wear it on TV once in a while =)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I'm all set with giving stuff for free....if you get one I'll charge double. :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
You think too much.

That's it. The teacher has filled your mind with all sorts of gibberish. Get to the range, drop a ball and smash the feck out of it! Grip it and rip it....don't do any thinking. You know what to do but your mind is getting in the way.

Remember where you got this sage advice when you get your tour card. :D

Way to go sling - tell him to put all his change in his left pocket and a tee behind his left ear and he'll be all set.

igolfonsand:(

Sep 7, 2005
I do think the first guy is right about thinking too much. You know you can do it you've been there and shot good enough to go pro your mind just needs to realise it. Stressing the fundamentals to much will result in your mind being mentally drained. What you need to focus on is hitting one shot at a time and playing each one as if it is your last. When your out there dont' even think about your score or the double you made on the last hole think about the shot coming up and you will do fine. P.S. good luck with going pro.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Buy the latest 2 Rotella books,or at least Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect.

Brad Faxon had a huge problem with not being able to hit driver off the tee due to confidence,and it was a slow process working his back,but it was the process that was important and he stuck to it.

I would have thought that many pros either in the local assistant pro comps or even the Euro Pro Tour will work on the mental side of the game as much as the physical challenge.

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks guys i will take it all on board, this site is great and i will tell all my golfing buddies about it

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
When I am having a confidence problem I will play a round without using anything above a 6 iron. I know I can hit those clubs well and I knoe it will take 3 shots to get on the par 5's so I get more relaxed. I normally get the confidence back after one round.

golfslo

Sep 10, 2005
I like obagain's comment and practice the same advice myself, but charnock has already shed all the clubs he can't hit (his driver). Sounds like he has confidence with his other clubs, but that hasn't translated into confidence with his driver. I have to agree with Dave - read "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" by Rotella. After reading this book, you'll just "Grip it and rip it" as slingblade suggests, and be back to your old "relaxed and unthinking" self.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I say turn your hat around backwards, put a tee behind your left ear, put your chance in the opposite pocket and hit it the hell up the fairway. :)

I too get caught up in swing thoughts and mechanics WAY too much! It pretty much kills 3-4 shots per round of 18 just because my head gets in the way. Ive seen great players win big with a bad swings. If you looked at Tigers swing when he won his first masters by 10+ he was way off plane and was flat bigtime. So even though his swing didnt work he was several under par that day alone just by pushing through the bad day. So you have to rely on your God given abilities and talent sometimes! I'm not pro but I just try to clear my mind when I walk on the first tee other than maybe one swing thought or strategy to go with for the day. It usually keeps me from over analyzing things. Hope that helps.

🔥 Latest posts