• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you do after a bad round.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
This thread just might be a way to vent a little. I haven’t played a lot the last two weeks but I just got a new membership at a local CC and got a very great deal its only 41$ a month for the rest of this year and all of next with reciprocity to 9 other CC in my area. The problem is the CC I have my membership at kicks my ass every time I have played it. I have been playing well lately high 70’s low 80’s but yesterday I played my new home course for the fist time in 3 years and it kicked my butt, I had 4 doubles in a row on the front. I started off bogie, bogie, par and thought not bad but I got into a little trouble on the 4th and it was all down hill and the wheels came completely off. Part of the problem was that my playing partners who are good friends were playing worse than me and one of them was not handling it very well, he broke his driver shaft when he hit his bag throwing his club. Also when I started playing bad yesterday I couldn’t help but think back of the last time when I played the course 3 years ago and I had one of the worst rounds of my life I shot well over 100. I went to the range tonight and on a scale of 1-10 I hit the ball about a 5. It’s probably a mental thing and I know I shouldn’t worry about it but should I start thinking about getting a lesson or should I just start hitting the range and work this shit out.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Keep playing it. I love it when a course kicks the crap out of me. It's not easy to find an affordable challenging course around here. The heck with the range, I'd get out there every chance I could, even if it's quater to 6 at night playing speedgolf.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
After I have a bad round I make sure to stop in the grill for a cold beer. After I have a good round i make sure to stop in the grill for a cold beer.

I've been doing this for a while. I no longer care much how I played once I leave the course. I just look forward to the cold beer.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Yea I just have to let it go thanks for that Mitch and EZ who cares. Do you guys ever get people that just freak out when they play bad it seems like its contagious. My buddy I was playing with got a membership with me so I will be playing with him a lot I might just have to talk to him about calming down when we play. Two week ago he threw his SW and it got stuck in a tree about 20ft up and couldn’t get it down it was pretty funny because we had to let the group behind us play threw.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Yea I just have to let it go thanks for that Mitch and EZ who cares. Do you guys ever get people that just freak out when they play bad it seems like its contagious. My buddy I was playing with got a membership with me so I will be playing with him a lot I might just have to talk to him about calming down when we play. Two week ago he threw his SW and it got stuck in a tree about 20ft up and couldn’t get it down it was pretty funny because we had to let the group behind us play threw.

you can see lot about a person at the course, especially if they don't meet their expectation. and this my friend, can be contagious. for me though, it's kinda like fuel to my game. and ez has been fueling me quite a bit lately... hahaha.. j/k

after a bad round, i try to forget about that round and just laugh it off. i do however, try to remember what i was having problem w/ and work on that at the range the next day. and when i feel like i'm ready (for the most part, at the end of the range session), i'm really excited about the next round to come.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What are you trying to say Twofast? Are you blaming your putting on me? :laugh:

I play better when I play a match play with Twofast. Might be worth a try with your buddy. It's odd, I sort of stop thinking so much and take things more a shot at a time. I also start grinding and play better around the greens, especially chipping. I think I shot a 50 out front last time and came back with a 43 when we went match on the back.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Generally, if I've had a bad round, I just try and shake it off, look back at the positives I got from the round (and there are ALWAYS some there if you look hard enough) and make sure I go to the range for a good session before I play on a course again so I take the feelings of hitting the ball well back to the course with me, not the problems I'd had.

A couple of times I've come up with technical problems that have dogged my game so badly I've gone straight onto the course's range from the 18th green to knock them out of my game immediately, and get rid of those feelings before I even left the course. Both times that has helped me a lot.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I buy a new driver... :D

Seriously, I try to analyze where all my strokes went and work on that (then buy a new driver)... :D

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
If I get a bad hole or a series of bad shots in a row, I'm really prone to falling apart, and the game turns into a train wreck pretty quickly. I can't stop thinking about the bad shots - the only thing that helps is to let it out - hit something (steering wheel, the ground, whatever). Otherwise it'll build up and only get worse.

Once in a blue moon after dumping the front nine I'll recover and score an amazing back, but that's pretty rare. When I have an awful day, I take two or three days off from golf - and most of the time the problems seem to solve themselves.

Turkish

Jul 31, 2007
After I have a bad round I make sure to stop in the grill for a cold beer. After I have a good round i make sure to stop in the grill for a cold beer.

:idhitit:

I shake my head for a few minutes, then try and remember the good shots that outweigh the bad, and the reason I got addicted to this game in less than 2 months of play.

Over a beer with my buddies, of course.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Remember the ball in the water sequence from "Tin Cup"? I do that if I get PO'd enough. :D

I start doing that when I know I'm not going to break 90 one day. Nothing like chili-dipping your wedge four times in a row trying to carry a pond. Or a 21 on a hole (which actually wasn't Tin Cup, it was just bad play - I did get a hell of a lot of practice with my wedges that day).

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Someone told me...

The difference between you and a pro is, after a bad round, you're sitting in the pro shop whining about your bad round and the pro is out on the course working on what screwed him up.

🔥 Latest posts