• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you guys think about Pinemeadow clubs?

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
I was fooling around at Academy today and picked up a Pinemeadow driver. Nothing too fancy, about 70 bucks, but the feel was fantastic when I swung it. I also checked out a couple of their Excel hybrids and I really liked those as well.

I was checking out their website, and they can customize the clubs for you (which is good for me, I kinda have long arms so I need maybe an inch, inch and a half shorter).

Anybody have any experiences, good or bad, with their products? I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but I'm just getting started and it's within my price range.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Clones = suck

Mike, do yourself a favor and buy used OEM if you're on a budget.

Clones are a crap shoot at best, buy name brand and you have 2 things, manufacturer reputation and resale value.

Buy pine meadow dreck for $50 (or whatever) and the very next day the clubs are worth zero.

OP
B

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
OK, not trying to offend you at all, but I really couldn't care less about things like reputation or resale value. Don't get me wrong, I like nice things (Hell, I'm in over 12000 on my home theater system), but for right now, I'm just looking for a decent set of starter clubs that I can hit well and won't cost a small fortune.

You say you don't like Pinemeadow because they're "clones", I guess I can understand that. What would you think about a cheaper OEM set, the Wilson Deep Red II line for instance?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I think that if you have a place nearby like golfsmith, golf galaxy or whatever....get in the hitting bay and try out different stuff.

Wilson may be the club for you....or you may find it's the $1000 Mizuno....hit as many different clubs as you can, that's the only way to really know.

If, as you say, you really don't care, just go to walmart and buy a boxed set.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sling hit this bang on. Clones are garbage. But, there are plenty of component alternatives to OEM.

But the best bang for your buck is finding the right shaft for you and buying a set based on that. The rest is just for looks.

R35

OP
B

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
Well, I also considered going with the TaylorMade RAC iron set, and building around that. It would pretty much cost what I had budgeted for everything, so I'd probably be spending at least another 400 on woods and wedges. But oh well, it's only money.

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
well, i disagree with the consensus.

pinemeadows has some very nice stuff. i have the oilcan wedges, and when compared to the branded clubs, you cannot tell the difference. alot of guys ask me about them often.

i also have the double wall driver. i don't use it much but it is a quality club. i just happen to have started with the r7 and have grown accustomed to it. however, the pinemeadows driver is as good as anything else out there.

i won't say that all clones are good, but i will say that not all clones are bad.

look for sites that allow different shafts and grip combinations. pinemeadows does this, as does diamondtour.com. these are quality clubs.

also note that what you see in the stores often isn't the best of what the clone dealer has. go to the site and see their spread.

i'm not concerned with resale value either fwiw.

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
I'm not gonna get into the clone fight, but if you decide on Pinemeadow, let me know. I am going to sell my starter set soon, and I can give you a good deal on them.

I have had the set for about a year, and they are like new. I haven't had one problem with them, and to tell the truth, I hate to get rid of the driver, it has been darn good to me. If you are looking for just a starter set to see if you get better and enjoy the game, I don't see the harm myself. As i said, they have been fine learning clubs for me.

The set I'm going to sell has the R7 clone driver with weights, with Aldila shaft in R. I have the X-18 clones, with upgrade Aldila graphite shafts. 3-PW, select 5000 hybrids in 16* (2) and 25* (5), both with shaft upgrade TT Lite XL, Select SW and PW, and a 4 ball putter. I paid $99 for the driver, $199 for the irons, $40 each for the hybrids, and $30 for the putter. That is around $400 for the set, and I'm gonna sell them for $225. They are barely used. The driver and wedges have the most wear, but that is minimal.

PM me if you are interested, or to Ebay they go:)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
My take on this one, I have been VERY frugal in purchasing clubs, I started out buying a set of Wilson Turfrider Hollowbacks for 20 bucks on Ebay, they are valued at $395, but they are not for me. I then bought a set of Tour Edge LX Comps for 30 bucks, also not for me. I am currently buying Cleveland TA5's one club at a time with a top end budget of 15 bucks a club plus shipping, not to exceed 25 bucks a club. I have the 4,6,and 8 irons, I already have a set of the shafts that I really like, cut and gripped and waiting for the full set of heads, these by the way are for me, I knew at soon as I hit one. I bought the shafts for 11 bucks on Ebay. I have purchased 3 Cleveland wedges (588's) that I have a total of 60 bucks into. I bought a Callaway BB 04 driver for 45 bucks (it was nearly brand new when I got it), a Cleveland 4 wood for under 20 bucks, 2 Adams Tight Lies Fairway Woods 4,7, for 5 bucks apiece on close out. A Big bertha Tour Bag (Pseudo leather) 20 bucks. 2 pull carts for 10 bucks total. 2 POS putters for about 25 total. A Hogan Sure Out SW 3 bucks, Dawia 1,3,5 woods 9 bucks. Wilson 5 wood 5 bucks. POS OS Driver 30 bucks. One generic Black golf bag 10 bucks. All told over the last year I have purchased 2 and a half decent sets of Irons, 4 good wedges, 4 solid woods, 1 great driver, 2 good golf bags, and a bunch of other stuff that will never see daylight again. Total Invested $363. Had I just gone and hit some good clubs I would have saved some of that and I would be playing the Clevelands with the right shafts and have about 230 invested. Just figure out what works for you and be patient, I keep my eyes open on Ebay and Craigslist, as well as at garage sales and Goodwill. My father in law got a odd numbered set of Cleveland VAS 792's (3,5,7,9, PW) at Goodwill for 12 bucks. He could fill out the rest of the set from Ebay for around 50 bucks, He won't but he could.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I agree that trying out a lot of clubs can lead to finding the "perfect", "magic" or "bestest". But if someone finds a particular driver that he or she consistently hits straight and long, then go with it. I don't care if it's a $500 R7 TP, or a $70 Pinemeadows. If you've found a club you really like, then count your blessings.

The problem is that it's easy to love a new driver for a short honeymoon period, then find out a month down the road that you can't stand it. It sure would be a lot less painful to divorce that $70 club, eh?

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Big Mike,

For about the same money, you can buy an Adams Redline driver, much better than the Pinemeadows. This is not to say Pinemeadows is complete junk. A buddy used one of their drivers for years before switching to Callaway.

You also stated that your looking for irons? Again, you can buy a full set of Adams GT3 irons for around $150.

Can you guess that I'm a fan of Adams' equipment? Great clubs for great prices.

OP
B

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
I took Cholley's advice and got the Adams GT iron/wedge set, along with Adams 2 and 3 hybrids. So thanks for the advice

I still need a driver and fairway woods, but I'm in no rush. The course I usually play doesn't ever require anything longer than a 6 iron anyway.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I have a set of adams irons They are just labeled "Tight Lies Undercut". My set was $400 Canadian, and came with driver 3 & 5 which I have since replaced with some other gear. But for the money, I guess they are OK... If I had the choice again, I would have saved a bit more and got Cleveland TA5's.... They are also the "club" for me I think.

Chris.

Dorkman53

May 17, 2005
Davebud said:
My take on this one, I have been VERY frugal in purchasing clubs, I started out buying a set of Wilson Turfrider Hollowbacks for 20 bucks on Ebay, they are valued at $395, but they are not for me. I then bought a set of Tour Edge LX Comps for 30 bucks, also not for me. I am currently buying Cleveland TA5's one club at a time with a top end budget of 15 bucks a club plus shipping, not to exceed 25 bucks a club. I have the 4,6,and 8 irons, I already have a set of the shafts that I really like, cut and gripped and waiting for the full set of heads, these by the way are for me, I knew at soon as I hit one. I bought the shafts for 11 bucks on Ebay. I have purchased 3 Cleveland wedges (588's) that I have a total of 60 bucks into. I bought a Callaway BB 04 driver for 45 bucks (it was nearly brand new when I got it), a Cleveland 4 wood for under 20 bucks, 2 Adams Tight Lies Fairway Woods 4,7, for 5 bucks apiece on close out. A Big bertha Tour Bag (Pseudo leather) 20 bucks. 2 pull carts for 10 bucks total. 2 POS putters for about 25 total. A Hogan Sure Out SW 3 bucks, Dawia 1,3,5 woods 9 bucks. Wilson 5 wood 5 bucks. POS OS Driver 30 bucks. One generic Black golf bag 10 bucks. All told over the last year I have purchased 2 and a half decent sets of Irons, 4 good wedges, 4 solid woods, 1 great driver, 2 good golf bags, and a bunch of other stuff that will never see daylight again. Total Invested $363. Had I just gone and hit some good clubs I would have saved some of that and I would be playing the Clevelands with the right shafts and have about 230 invested. Just figure out what works for you and be patient, I keep my eyes open on Ebay and Craigslist, as well as at garage sales and Goodwill. My father in law got a odd numbered set of Cleveland VAS 792's (3,5,7,9, PW) at Goodwill for 12 bucks. He could fill out the rest of the set from Ebay for around 50 bucks, He won't but he could.
I'm in the process of buying a car. I've bought the tires off e-bay, the wheels from a local junkyard, the brakes from a local mechanic, and now I'm looking for a transmission. lol

You certainly are being deliberate and frugal with your stepwise purchases. What will you do if you simply can't find a particular club in your iron set anywhere? When you add up the unit costs of club plus shipping, are you really going to be ahead of simply buying a well used set off e-bay and paying one shipping charge?

Members online