• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you like to do when your course is frozen?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I get caught up on my fishing......I love ice fishing, I usually enter a tournament or two during hardwater season.....I have a camping trip planned at the end of January to lake Champlain...Canada is only 5 miles away...Rock, wanna go? ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sure. If you pay for the flight. I'm only about 25 hours from there.

Hey, you could pay for the flight! I'll book it right now. :p

I didn't go ice fishing last winter at all. In fact it's been two winters now. We had terrible winters back to back.....no ice til late and then super, super cold. It was terrible.

I played a little hockey the last couple winters. I also like to train indoors for the golf season...i'm going to build a hitting net in our basement this year. We have 9 foot ceilings, should be good enough for a 7 iron.

Did you ever see that photo of the Titleist from Roscoe's garage? It was embedded at least 2/3's of the way into the drywall. Priceless picture.

R35

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
25 hours!?

I thought you lived in Canada, not Mongolia.
;)

What? are you in BC or close to it?

If I win the lottery, you're on....plus 2 of your friends....It's fun...trucks and camperson the ice, campers are heated to around 80 degrees (f) and there's lot's off booze....some fish come by occasionally as well. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I live in Saskatchewan. Just north of North Dakota. It's a long ass drive out to Vermont/NY from my place. It doesn't look it on the map, but it's a long way to drive.

Saskatchewan is sorta like Mongolia. Just not as warm. :D

Speaking of Mongolia, i have to check something.....look for it posted in this forum in a second..... :cool:

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
I get caught up on my fishing......I love ice fishing, I usually enter a tournament or two during hardwater season.....I have a camping trip planned at the end of January to lake Champlain...Canada is only 5 miles away...Rock, wanna go? ;)

My favorite thing to do in the winter is play golf. We suffer through rediculous hot summers just waiting for Fall and Winter to cool things down. Then we sit around with smug little smiles and watch the weather channel or call our friends up north to ask, "hows the weather up there, it's going to 70 and sunny today". :p We did have some snow last year for the first time in 15 years. It lasted about four hours and I played golf the next day. It's actually nice here today but we'll have 90s all the way through Sept. I am definately ready for Fall. I'll have to say the ice fishing does sound like fun. :D

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We broil here also in July and August. Then comes a long and beautiful Fall. I played my first afternoon round in two months today. nothing but mornings for me in July-Aug.

I play much of the winter. Our fairways are bermudagrass and go dormant but the greens are bentgrass and thrive.

My cutoff point for Winter play is 50 degrees. Anything less and I stay home. Average January high is 54 so on a cooler day I am home and on a warm day - a light sweater will do and out we go.

Usually can get in 2-3 rounds in January.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
In the heat of the summer, I golf. In the dead of winter, I golf. We have mild winters also, but my cut-off point is probably closer to-- I'll let you know when it happens. Praise God for low compression balls, fleece and handwarmers.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You guys should come up here in January and golf. It's so awesome.

-70*F with windchill (at 40mph) and 4 feet of snow.

Thank goodness for snowmobiles and shovels. :D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
You guys should come up here in January and golf. It's so awesome.

-70*F with windchill (at 40mph) and 4 feet of snow.

Thank goodness for snowmobiles and shovels. :D

R35

Brrrrrrrrrrr! We light the fireplace when it drops below 40*. Nothing personal but I hope I never know what -70 feels like. :eek:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Thought this would be a good one to bring back as winter is soon aproaching!

I have joined a bowling league, almost the same as golf as i can drink while peforming! First night was last saturday, starting average...204...and i expect that to come down...:(

I shovel...alot lately...good excersize i guess.

Some of my friends have snow-mobiles and if there is an extra i get to go with.

Squirrel, rabbit, dove hunting is open till end of January so if its not ungodly cold out i will get out and do some hunting, deer season while its open thats all i do.

umm.....donuts in the snow in open parking lots....99% of the reason i bought a rear-wheel drive vehicle

Catch up on video games...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Living in central Mississippi I can golf just about year round. I made my 1st Eagle last winter the day of New Years Eve. I also Deer hunt when it gets cold enough. My cut off point for golf is 40 F, but I don't like to Deer hunt if it's above freezing. Not a big fan of snakes here, ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Holy crap, most of the guy in the original thread are now too busy thinking of diapers in the summer to consider golf, let alone playing golf in the winter.

This could be interesting to see how the answers change. Had you waited another year you may have had people answer that were not even born at the time. :laugh:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Our courses don't freeze down here. :D

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Inside things. Swim for the excersize, but other than that?

Play online video games, have fun, then sell the account to pay for more clubs once it starts warming up again.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online