• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you think of the "No women members allowed" at Augusta

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
Shit, i'm against pretty much against all private clubs. Can't stand pricks who think just because they were born into a family with money that they are better than us lowlifes. I want to burn their clubhouses down, steal their clubs, & do burnouts with my motorcycle on their greens.

In high school and university I worked at a private golf club. There are two type of members. There are those who are all about the status and appearances of being part of a private club and for the most part are complete hacks that couldn't swing a club to save their lives.
Then there are those, who in my opinion were the nicest members, those who just want a pristine course condition, great accessibility, and overall a great golf course experience. They are their because of the love of the game.

Maybe private clubs should even go further and exclude/include based on golf skill and ability rather based on those who can afford it.

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
I agree, I have ony played at a few private clubs but it was golf at it's best. Great course conditions, did not get hit into once or have to wait on anyone. If I could afford it I would belong to a private course and be done with all the morons that now play the game with no idea of the honor and tradition of this wonderful game.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I think Augusta is a paleolithic instituion that needs to relax on the ridiculous rules. I am against it basically becuase I am 100% against pompus asses who for some reason think they are better than everyone else.

paleolithic---that's a $10 word--mind telling about it. Actual line in a movie!!!!

I agree with your post.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
My son's high school job was taking care of the carts at a excellent local club.

He said visitors were just great and generally the members were A##es.
Serfdom was there concept of charity. Kinda like the Judge in Caddie Shack.

Those kinds give golf a bad name.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Let's get real here. Truthfully, now: If you were a multimillionaire and were invited to become a member of Augusta National, would you turn it down?

Remember, this is not only a beautiful, challenging course, it is also very historic.

Plus, you get to hobnob with OTHER multimillionaires, and trade inside info on how to get even richer.

It's their club, let them do with it as they wish, knowing and being willing to accept the consequences of their decisions.

Besides, exactly WHICH women are you proposing for membership? Given the few women I actually see playing golf, it seems to me that the field is limited to start, not to mention the multimillionaire part.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I'd like to find a course that had a minimum skills test to join and a speed of play test as well. Women and seniors need not apply.:beach3:

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Some of you need to take class envy out of the equation and look at it objectively. <cough>

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Some of you need to take class envy out of the equation and look at it objectively. <cough>

+1, if someone wants to start a club and only allow overweight women who like to sweat a lot in that is their business, oh wait, they already have, Curves. :rolleyes:

Martha Burke has made millions heading up NOW, let her and some of the LPGA members start up their own course and country club, make it exclusively for women only. Their money, their course, I have no problem with it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I'd like to find a course that had a minimum skills test to join and a speed of play test as well. Women and seniors need not apply.:beach3:

You gotta be kidding? I tend to play pretty damn fast & have had a few women & seniors who were at least keeping up with me if not in fact asking to play thru.

The majority of jackasses I run into who slow everything up tend to be either groups of 40-50 year olds, or the 20 year olds who simply don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Play there yes, join no. Being independently wealthy makes me walk among them already. Goal would be to play the best of the best all over the globe. I've already made that decision not joining one of my local clubs.

just my way of looking at it.

Let's get real here. Truthfully, now: If you were a multimillionaire and were invited to become a member of Augusta National, would you turn it down?

Remember, this is not only a beautiful, challenging course, it is also very historic.

Plus, you get to hobnob with OTHER multimillionaires, and trade inside info on how to get even richer.

It's their club, let them do with it as they wish, knowing and being willing to accept the consequences of their decisions.

Besides, exactly WHICH women are you proposing for membership? Given the few women I actually see playing golf, it seems to me that the field is limited to start, not to mention the multimillionaire part.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I think the blatant sexism is an absolute disgrace. I understand the argument that it's my sandbox and I can do what I want, but I think that it's rediculous.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
People need to get over themselves, and this PC crap that has taken over the world is driving me nuts. First, golf, as with all other recreational activities, is a LUXURY and not a right. Thus they by definition require money to partake in. Second, August is a private institution and as such has the right to develop and enforce any "rules" that they see fit in the enjoyment of their recreational activity. There are tons of institutions and organizations that are selective in their membership. It seems to only be a problem when membership is selective to the so called majorities of men and whites. It really pisses me off that if an organization such as NOW restricts membership to women only no one makes a deal out of it or complains, but as soon as a golf club like Augusta limits membership to men it is sexist and elitist. Personally I hope that they never open their doors to women or the general public. That is the thrill of Augusta it is an elite club, one that caters to the richest of rich. Just my $0.02 but this discussion makes me sick.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
As mentioned earlier, Augusta is a private club and can do whatever they want....personally, I would NEVER WANT to join a club that exclusive.

I accept their policy, but don't have to RESPECT it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.