• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you think?

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Let's take two golfers. Bill & Ted. Bill and Ted are both decent golfers with Handicaps in the 11-16 range. They have a general understaning of the golf swing. The know inside/out goes one way and outside/in goes a different way. They have both been playing for say 6 to 9 years. They generally play 3.5 times a month for 6 months of the year. They hit the range about 3 times a month for practice while usually hitting at least a small bucket before the round. Maybe the chip and putt for about 2 hours a month. They both have decent clubs. Let's say their irons are 6 years old. Wedges are 2 years old. Driver is 4 years old. So you might have an idea of what they are gaming.

Let's give them each $1500 to spend on golf.

Bill takes the $1500 and runs out and buys himself a set of AP1s, TM Burner driver and 3w and some new wedges and if he has anything leftover he picks up a new putter. But for the most part his play and practice stays the same. Maybe he gets to playing 4 to 4.5 times a month.

Ted takes a different approach. Ted spends $200 on 2 to 4 lessons. He then spends about $400 on his significant other. He then spends the other $900 on hitting the range and getting a shagbag and some balls. He also moves to playing 4 to 4.5 times a month. But now he is practicing like 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time(hence spending money on the wife)

Let's say we started this experiment at the beginning of the season. At the end of the season who do you think is shooting lower scores.

My guess would be Ted.

See I was lucky enough that 32 years ago Dad put a club in my hand and buried a tin cup in the backyard. I hit balls at that cup and when the backyard was too small I hit balls in the field behind my house. I am 37 now. I have hit tons of balls. Nowhere near the amount a tour player has hit, but over time by trial and error and reading books and articles I learned about the golf swing. I can slice/fade and draw/hook a driver whenever I want. With other clubs as well, but it is easier with a driver. I could not always do that, but I ingrained what each swing was like in my muscle memory.

My point is it would do most people more good to practice more than to run out and get new clubs. I think all too often we look to clubs to fix our problems. Like if we slice all the time we buy a driver that is closed faced or draw driver. Why not spend the time to stop slicing. In the long run you will be better off.

Just my thoughts.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
ablogs.guardian.co.uk_music_billandted460.jpg

Excellent!!!!!

Sorry haven't even read the whole thing yet.. but this just pop'd up!

OP
gpo

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I agree with ya... but buying new clubs sure is more fun than practice!! :)

I agree 100% new clubs are fun and practice is hard work. I guess it is like anything in life you have to decide how much you want to work.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I don't know, Ted sounds a little Whipped and Bill, well, he opted for TM Clubs so he must be gay. Had they thought this through, they could both use Bill's TM Clubs, and played with Ted's Balls and shag bag. Take the $400 they gave to Ted's Girlfriend to get Bill lessons. After a year, they clearly both are going to be living together anyways, so they could take the money they'd save on rent and join a club together.

I mean they would both be good golfers had they just recognize what was inevitable. :)

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Wild Stallions!

I for one, wont accept a 30+ handicap.
Not going to play for years at such a number. :)

Though I blew my bday money on a new driver, I should have saved it for lessons.
But I need to find the Teacher-Coach who is going to work out in the long run.
Of the 3 I have had, one was not going to work out. One of the other two is too far away for my schedule. The third works at a place where the range does not allow Drivers...though honestly I have not asked about that situation.

I can say that with 3 teachers, and 7 lessons in a 3 month time span had me pretty screwed up.

Finding the right person seems the be the most important and difficult!

Present time..my game is improving anyway, little by little. Last evenings round was 15 strokes less than a month ago.
Have been on the course or range almost every day for the past month.

I am trying to make friends on the course with better players. I can and have learned from them.

OP
gpo

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Wild Stallions!

I for one, wont accept a 30+ handicap.
Not going to play for years at such a number. :)

Though I blew my bday money on a new driver, I should have saved it for lessons.
But I need to find the Teacher-Coach who is going to work out in the long run.
Of the 3 I have had, one was not going to work out. One of the other two is too far away for my schedule. The third works at a place where the range does not allow Drivers...though honestly I have not asked about that situation.

I can say that with 3 teachers, and 7 lessons in a 3 month time span had me pretty screwed up.

Finding the right person seems the be the most important and difficult!

Present time..my game is improving anyway, little by little. Last evenings round was 15 strokes less than a month ago.
Have been on the course or range almost every day for the past month.

I am trying to make friends on the course with better players. I can and have learned from them.

I have never had a lesson myself. Over the years I read things and picked up the little things about the golf swing.

I would suggest reading and looking at swings. Then just try things out yourself. Really experiment with your swing. Just try to get where you do the same thing over and over. Keep at it and you will do fine.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Let's take two golfers. Bill & Ted. Bill and Ted are both decent golfers with Handicaps in the 11-16 range. They have a general understaning of the golf swing. The know inside/out goes one way and outside/in goes a different way. They have both been playing for say 6 to 9 years. They generally play 3.5 times a month for 6 months of the year. They hit the range about 3 times a month for practice while usually hitting at least a small bucket before the round. Maybe the chip and putt for about 2 hours a month. They both have decent clubs. Let's say their irons are 6 years old. Wedges are 2 years old. Driver is 4 years old. So you might have an idea of what they are gaming.

Let's give them each $1500 to spend on golf.

Bill takes the $1500 and runs out and buys himself a set of AP1s, TM Burner driver and 3w and some new wedges and if he has anything leftover he picks up a new putter. But for the most part his play and practice stays the same. Maybe he gets to playing 4 to 4.5 times a month.

Ted takes a different approach. Ted spends $200 on 2 to 4 lessons. He then spends about $400 on his significant other. He then spends the other $900 on hitting the range and getting a shagbag and some balls. He also moves to playing 4 to 4.5 times a month. But now he is practicing like 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time(hence spending money on the wife)

Let's say we started this experiment at the beginning of the season. At the end of the season who do you think is shooting lower scores.

My guess would be Ted.

See I was lucky enough that 32 years ago Dad put a club in my hand and buried a tin cup in the backyard. I hit balls at that cup and when the backyard was too small I hit balls in the field behind my house. I am 37 now. I have hit tons of balls. Nowhere near the amount a tour player has hit, but over time by trial and error and reading books and articles I learned about the golf swing. I can slice/fade and draw/hook a driver whenever I want. With other clubs as well, but it is easier with a driver. I could not always do that, but I ingrained what each swing was like in my muscle memory.

My point is it would do most people more good to practice more than to run out and get new clubs. I think all too often we look to clubs to fix our problems. Like if we slice all the time we buy a driver that is closed faced or draw driver. Why not spend the time to stop slicing. In the long run you will be better off.

Just my thoughts.
My guess is neither would shoot better scores!

OP
gpo

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
My guess is neither would shoot better scores!

You really think someone who got a few lessons and practiced 3 times a week for 6 months would not shoot better. How do you think someone gets better?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I would go with more putting practice.. That would be my next step to beat the guy.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
You really think someone who got a few lessons and practiced 3 times a week for 6 months would not shoot better. How do you think someone gets better?

Post on the internet & never meet anyone from that website. Surest way to be a 300 yd scratch player.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm going to say there is a happy medium here. There are clubs that surely can improve your game. If you evaluate which ones aren't fit for you you could replace them and also take lessons. I don't think hitting at the range does you that much good IMHO. And you also have to find the right teaching pro for that to work.

But finding your optimum clubs tied to lessons from a good coach will certainly lower your cap.

Playing alot of golf also helps.... :)

🔥 Latest posts