• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you use to chip!?

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I tried to use my 56 last year for chipping, and for whatever reason I just could never bring myself to hit the ball hard enough, lol. I'd generally think i was, but i'd just pop it up so high it'd get half way to the hole and plop down. So this year i decided to de-fancy myself with lofty chips and go back to a more traditional style with my pw, and a 7/8i for bump n runs, which i dont use a LOT. I am finding my chipping is remarkably better this year already. In fact it has saved me a lot of strokes since my irons are once again being a thorn in my side. Shooting in mid-40s to high 40s pretty consistently, and > 100 on 18...which for some is prolly horrible, but for me, its much improvement. If i could figure out what is wrong with my irons id be stylin.

So, what do you use primarily?!?!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I'm close to the green, but in deep grass or uneven ground, I usually use my 60º. If its a flat run up, I use my 8i and bump and run like you mentioned.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Man i just dont know how you do it. I guess maybe i need to spend more time at the range with my wedges and learning the feel. I find I either decelerate or simply never swing hard enough from the get go and pop em straight up and go no where. However it would be nice to have them at my disposal cuz there are times i need to get up quick and come straight down, like over a bunker with a tight hole location, where with my pw i find i run it a lil long tryin to make sure i clear trap.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Man i just dont know how you do it. I guess maybe i need to spend more time at the range with my wedges and learning the feel. I find I either decelerate or simply never swing hard enough from the get go and pop em straight up and go no where. However it would be nice to have them at my disposal cuz there are times i need to get up quick and come straight down, like over a bunker with a tight hole location, where with my pw i find i run it a lil long tryin to make sure i clear trap.

Before every round I hit the practice green. I drop 6 balls on the ground and chip the at a flag, then putt them in. Rinse, lather and repeat for 30 minutes or so. My putting has improved along with my chipping.

Try a very short back-swing on a short shot. If you only take the club back 1/4 swing, your brain will refuse to declererate, :D

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
This weekend, I figured out my chipping strategy. Anything within 5-10 yards of the green on fairway type grass (cut very short) I use 50 degree wedge and bump and run it. If I am in very thick or deep grass...I try to pitch it with my cavity back 50 degree wedge also. If I am on short stuff and uphill to the green, or 10 yards away and further....I use my 60 degree wedge and try to pitch it high and tight to the flag

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm a high-flying short game player. I would rather toss the ball nearer to the hole and stop it quick. I'm not talking about spinning it, just lofting it to where it won't want to roll out much.

I'm fairly good at it, but it's made it VERY hard for me to go back to bump-'n'-runs. I always hit the ball too far. ALWAYS. And that is one of the things I LIKED about the 60*; I could actually make a little swing. I found that it was much easier to square the clubface when I had enough of a swing to feel it. Little chop-moves with the 52* feel so lousy to me, even when they stop 6 inches from the hole.

I'm really trying to use the runner more because I KNOW it's a higher percentage shot, but it's leaving me with nothing positive lately. In a pressure situation I'm better off hitting the bump because I can basically blade it and still have a putt. Grind, grind, grind...

Using a 7i/8i is fine as long as you're familiar with it. Some people use their hybrids and just make a putting stroke. Whatever gets the white thing in the hole.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
54* - ball back, weight forward, forward press. Hit into it and knock it into the middle of the green. Lowish trajectory with lots of back spin.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Postage stamp greens at our course. Most of the time, pretty fast greens. My lob wedge is 58 degrees and that's what I use 80% of the time around the green. If the greens are running a little slow or if I've got lots of green to work with, I'll go to my 50 degree pitching wedge. Sand wedge is 54 degrees and just have never seemed to find the range with it.

So much depends on personal preference and what you are comfortable with. One of the guys in our group always chips from the fringe with his 4-iron. Another NEVER chips. He will putt from 10 yards off the green! Both have pretty good short games. I could use neither of those and have anything close to success!!

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Postage stamp greens at our course. Most of the time, pretty fast greens. My lob wedge is 58 degrees and that's what I use 80% of the time around the green. If the greens are running a little slow or if I've got lots of green to work with, I'll go to my 50 degree pitching wedge. Sand wedge is 54 degrees and just have never seemed to find the range with it.

So much depends on personal preference and what you are comfortable with. One of the guys in our group always chips from the fringe with his 4-iron. Another NEVER chips. He will putt from 10 yards off the green! Both have pretty good short games. I could use neither of those and have anything close to success!!

Depends on where I am and what I need to do. Either 60°, 52°, or 9i.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
54* - ball back, weight forward, forward press. Hit into it and knock it into the middle of the green. Lowish trajectory with lots of back spin.

This is me...only I always use my 60*. I always use my lob because I'm confident I can land the ball where I want. In most cases, I play the ball back just inside my back foot to produce a low skip, skip, stop shot. If the greens are real soft and spongy I'll use a ball with less spin so the ball with release and roll more truely. Sometimes I'll practice with other clubs, but when the pressure is on, I always have a 60* in my hand around the greens.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
For me it just completely depends on the shot. How much green I have to work with, lie, amound of fringe/rough needed to carry. Anything from my 60* laid open or my 8 iron.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
For me it just completely depends on the shot. How much green I have to work with, lie, amound of fringe/rough needed to carry. Anything from my 60* laid open or my 8 iron.

Same here.

basically what it comes down to is how much green i have between me and the pin. Less green means higher lofted club, more green means lower lofted club. Then to more fine tune the club selection and shot type i will look at what is between me and the green(bunker, water, fairway, etc), what type of lie i have, and also just how i'm feeling about a certain club that day.

Some days i am extremely comfortable with the bump and run, other days i'm not, so i choose to carry it all the way to the pin even though i have a full green to work with.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
depends on my mood,lie, and other factors. Tools of the trade 52*,56*,60* with the ball position varying as to trajectory and spin desired.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I generally use my 52* wedge. I only grab my 56* if I need more loft because of less green. But like others have said it depends on the shot. If I am just off the green I will grab an 8i or 7i and bump it. Heck I have even used a 6i or 5i for really long chips. For years and years I used my PW before getting my 52* a couple of years ago.

Many believe use whatever loft that will the ball on the ground fastest but still on the green.

The general idea is to chip like a putt with hardly no break in your wrists.

Really it is practice practice practice and then when you think you have it go practice some more.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.