• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what does my ball flight mean?

jamesj

Apr 1, 2006
well i got my driver reshafted and tested it out for the first time today. it was a cleveland launcher 460ti 2005 model. i had the stock reg shaft and it was super whippy so i replaced it with an aldila nv-65 stiff. my first drive, the ball was flying straight ahead pretty low and then went upwards. im not sure how far i hit it but it was 250+ cause it went to the tree line at the range i was at but im not sure how far it is. im very pleased with this but what does this ball flight mean? when i used to hit good drives with my old shaft, the ball would usually launch pretty high but i really like the way the ball flies with this new shaft. it doesn't fly like that everytime but a good amount of them flew like that. ive never really seen it do that so i was thinking maybe im doing something weird?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you are hitting the ball longer than your old shaft it means you have one more suited to you. The NV is a low launch shaft. It's for guys that have a faster swing and ball speed. Basically the old shaft was launching it higher and creating more backspin, which too much is a bad thing, causes the ball to go up too high before it gets a chance to go out. Ideally I prefer a mid-boring flight like you describe. I get more distance and accuracy from a lower launching shaft that puts the ball out there 150-175 before it starts climbing up higher.

Seems like the new craze is to launch it high with all carry. I still prefer the craze of 2-3 yrs. ago, which was all about getting a penetrating ballflight.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
it means there is too much spin on the ball. if it launches low, and then balloons up, that means that there is too much spin on the ball. shallow out your swing if you dont like it, if you do, dont change a thing. it is however costing you distance.

OP
J

jamesj

Apr 1, 2006
how do i shallow out my swing? i feel alright about the distance but if i can get more distance, im intriguied. will teeing the ball higher/lower or moving the position of the ball in my stance help?

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Sorry to jack. The title is appropriate.

When I hit the ball with my driver consistently, the ball goes high off the tee, climbs higher, fades at the apex, drops down with the fade, and doesn't roll too much upon landing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I may be maxxing out at 250.

What does my ball flight mean?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
how do i shallow out my swing? i feel alright about the distance but if i can get more distance, im intriguied. will teeing the ball higher/lower or moving the position of the ball in my stance help?

Swing around your body. I use a drill where I put the left foot in front of the right I call a "Stagger Step". Look up in the Hacker's Anonomous section and check out the swing vid I put up. I do this drill before I hit the shot and it get's me on a wider plane. Since doing this I get a much straighter to draw flight and the thing is just like a cannon. Launches out lower and just starts climbing around 175-200yds. I've hit tee shots upwards of 260+ with my 3W on the course the past few times out.

Sorry to jack. The title is appropriate.

When I hit the ball with my driver consistently, the ball goes high off the tee, climbs higher, fades at the apex, drops down with the fade, and doesn't roll too much upon landing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I may be maxxing out at 250.

What does my ball flight mean?

Could be the swing, could be in part the club/shaft setup. If you have a higher ballspeed and good launch angle then a drop in loft would produce more distance. My optimal combo varies between heads and shafts. I get the most out of a 9.5* in most TM's and a 10.5* in most Cleveland's and Callaway's I've hit.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
ez pretty much covered how to shallow out. moving the ball up could will help even more once you are more shallow.

as for the second question. my guess it the shaft and loft is poorly fit, and you are making contact with an open faced and twisted so that you add more loft club head, and you are just hitting a high push cut. try to fix the impact position first, and then if it still doesnt work, go get a lesson, and then if it still doesnt work go get another lesson, and then if it still doesnt work, look at the equipment.

🔥 Latest posts