• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What gives you the longest drives?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Let's hear what works for you when you "crush" one. You know, what you do on those BOMBS! :rolleyes:

For me it's just a nice smooth swing without trying to kill it which usually let's me catch it on the center of the face also. Of course my bombs are probably only considered bombs by myself.... :oops:

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Although not accurate, I tend to crush them when I'm nice and loose and when I drop the club to the inside and just unleash my body into it. I usually get it out there right around 300 with a hard draw. I probably hit about 10% of the fairways so I usually just go with my standard swing which is about 260-270. Typically I only use my all out swing when there is a HUGE fairway or just out of frustration. Average clubhead speed for me is around 110.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've been fighting an over-the-top swing all season. Have watched youtube videos until I fall asleep with the repetitive boredom. Yesterday, seemed to finally find "the slot" and was able to drop it inside. Awkward at first. After a half-dozen holes, it began to work. And, as I indicated in the "What did you shoot today" thread, hit one of my longest drives ever on 18.
The two things noted after the long drive..... First, I did drop the club inside and stayed loose through the swing. The other thing is that I never felt the ball leave the clubface. I must have caught that thing dead on the center of the clubface. The BioCell has been extremely forgiving, but if I could continue finding that "g-spot" I found on 18 yesterday.....
I go back to some basics when it comes to driving the ball...
1.) Swing easy, hit hard. (There's an excellent book by that title.) Every time I try to muscle up, bad things happen.
2.) Remember, golf is a game of opposites. If you are leaving it right, aim left. If you are watching the ball go too far left, aim right.
3.) Set up, look once at the target, swing! The more practice swings a golfer takes, the worse the results of his/her actual shot. In the words of Harvey Pennick... "Miss it quick!"

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Shoulder, wrist, follow through. That's the mental thought for my swing now. Keeping that right shoulder back during the downswing to avoid any over the top swings. Get the wrist square to target on impact. Then push that follow through past the body. When it all aligns the ball feels like butter and is a beautiful thing.
Am back out on the range tomorrow but I can see why the YouTube vids for over the top swings and slices get so many views lol. In prone to sit their for a few hours also checking all the tips out.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Just like WBL said. A nice smooth swing. One that lets the core do the work and keeps the arms out of it.

Anytime I try and hit it too hard my arms will take over. It goes pear shaped from that moment.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Let's hear what works for you when you "crush" one. You know, what you do on those BOMBS! :rolleyes:

For me it's just a nice smooth swing without trying to kill it which usually let's me catch it on the center of the face also. Of course my bombs are probably only considered bombs by myself.... :oops:

Just like WBL said. A nice smooth swing. One that lets the core do the work and keeps the arms out of it.

Anytime I try and hit it too hard my arms will take over. It goes pear shaped from that moment.

I agree completely with both of these, my best and longest drives are my smoothest and least armsy swings.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Honestly, I get my absolute longest drives when I rear back and give it my all. The shaft on my driver is stout, real stout. It's also on the shorter side. I get the best out of this driver when I really get after it.

Obviously the odds I will hit a great one go down, but when I catch them well, which surprisingly has been happening more and more lately, it goes a long way.

Just had a 350yd drive Friday. Obviously not my average, but it was a fun round and I decided to let one rip. Caught it well and with a little help from the wind and a downhill fairway it was a great drive.

When I swing within myself, I don't load this shaft and lose a lot of distance because of it.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
So do you guys tee it low or tee it high? Ball off left heel (righty) or somewhere else? Swing thoughts?

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
So do you guys tee it low or tee it high? Ball off left heel (righty) or somewhere else? Swing thoughts?
Used to tee it quite high, but started to get under it a bit too often so now sit just under half the ball above the crown. Ball about 2 inches inside left heel. Started to feel better contact when I brought the ball an extra couple of inches inside my heel. Keeps the ball low but not too low. Enough to get a decent roll out which I never used to have. Would bomb it high and watch it plug into the fairways lol.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Ball off left heel. Tee height... sorta depends on the driver. The BioCell likes it teed a little lower than some. If I begin erring by raising the ball height on the tee, it will begin to haunt me. I'll begin swinging harder and leaving the clubface open. Bring it back down and I'll stay through the ball.

🔥 Latest posts