• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What gives you the longest drives?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States

My question for this stuff is always the same, and although I didn't look very hard, I didn't find their definition of a 'drive'.

Is that the shot off of the tee box regardless of whether or not the golfer is actually attempting to drive the ball as far as possible? Any shot off the tee box with a driver? I'll bet my average driving distance if all shots off the tee box are considered is right around 208 maybe less. I rarely hit driver unless it's a par 5 or a par 4 that's over 425 yards or so. So around here, I pretty much only hit driver on the par 5's, which is going to skew my percentages shorter if all of my shots off the tee box are counted.

If they only counted my drives where I'm attempting to hit driver as far as I can while staying in the fairway, it would probably be closer to 225 I'm guessing. I could very well be wrong, but I don't even know how I stack up against their numbers when they don't define their methods.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I find that if I can time my fart to start halfway through my downswing I get maximum distance on the drive.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
My question for this stuff is always the same, and although I didn't look very hard, I didn't find their definition of a 'drive'.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't even know how I stack up against their numbers when they don't define their methods.

Agree. Even the info they do give is a bit ambiguous.

I've seen similar yardages attributed to the USGA, but haven't been able to find the original source.

I think the point is, most amateur golfers have unrealistic expectations concerning length of drives.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"Facts" about amateur golfers gleaned from other discussion boards...
1. 98% of posters have handicaps in the low single digits.
2. 98$ of posters drives fall just short of those competing on the Long Drive Tour and 100% are quite a bit longer than anyone on the PGA Tour.
3. 98% of posters would be assured of a PGA Tour Card, if they would ever leave their mother's basement.
4. 98% of posters could handily defeat any player on the LPGA... carrying only their driver, 3 wedges, and a putter.
5. 98% of posters have won the club championship at their home course... and every other course within 200 miles of their home.
6. 98% of posters have been fit for their clubs by someone from a Tour van who took time off from fitting PGA players just to tweak the poster's clubs.

And here I am stuck on THIS discussion board with a bunch of hacks!!!!!:D

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
"Facts" about amateur golfers gleaned from other discussion boards...
1. 98% of posters have handicaps in the low single digits.
2. 98$ of posters drives fall just short of those competing on the Long Drive Tour and 100% are quite a bit longer than anyone on the PGA Tour.
3. 98% of posters would be assured of a PGA Tour Card, if they would ever leave their mother's basement.
4. 98% of posters could handily defeat any player on the LPGA... carrying only their driver, 3 wedges, and a putter.
5. 98% of posters have won the club championship at their home course... and every other course within 200 miles of their home.
6. 98% of posters have been fit for their clubs by someone from a Tour van who took time off from fitting PGA players just to tweak the poster's clubs.

And here I am stuck on THIS discussion board with a bunch of hacks!!!!!:D

ok, i've ticked all off the list except nr 3 - no way i'm moving out of the basement!!

anybody keen to play a round with me - $2k only!! (per hole)

edit part: how far is 200 miles compared to kilometers.....not sure my scooter can go that far...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
ok, i've ticked all off the list except nr 3 - no way i'm moving out of the basement!!

anybody keen to play a round with me - $2k only!! (per hole)

edit part: how far is 200 miles compared to kilometers.....not sure my scooter can go that far...
What's a "kilometer"? Is it some sort of deadly meteorite? :)

🔥 Latest posts