• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What golf books are we reading at the moment?

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I am reading a book clled "Going Low" which is a rotella esque book

and

"The plane truth for golfers by Jim Hardy"

Anyone else reading a good one?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Right now, I pretty much look at Hogan's 5 Lessons for my information about the full swing, and go back to the chapter on sand play in Pelz's Short Game Bible.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
charnockpro said:
Anyone else reading a good one?

Yes, I bought my mate who's the best 21 handicapper you will ever meet, ball striking, chipping and putting wise, 'golf is a game of confidance' by Vetalla. His problems are all with his mental approach to the game. This book is eventally getting through to him to stop going for the 'hollywood' shots and to start playing the game to his level, as his biggest problem he has is course management and stratorgy. He's off 21 but tries to play like a single digit handicapper which leads to treble bogies or worse. Know he's finished reading the book and today he actually played one of the best rounds I've seen him play off the comp plates. He scored 38 points off 3/4 handicap and didn't score worse than a double, sign of things to come hopefully.

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
"Every Shot Must Have a Purpose: How GOLF54 Can Make You a Better Player" by Pia Nilsson

A great look at how to approach the game and some drills that you can actually do on the course...

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I seldom read instructional golf books anymore. I guess I figure my game is beyond help. I just finished "Who's Your Caddy" by Rick Reilley.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
"The Secret of Golf", edited by George Peper.

A collection of tips gathered from throughout golf history. In each chapter (47 of them) Peper discusses a teacher and his method, then takes an excerpt out of the teacher's writings.

Really shows the variety of "truths" about the swing.

Qoka

Aug 14, 2006
"The Fundamentals of Hogan" by David Leadbetter gives an interesting insights/interperations to some of the teachings of the original book by Hogan. A good compliment to that book.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Let's see, a Golfsmith catalog and Edwin Watts catalog. Guess those don't count. I prefer to find a good teaching video by a Jack Nicklaus or somebody that you can trust over reading a book. A picture is worth a thousand words!

maggotspawn

Junior Hacker
Aug 12, 2006
I'm reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Golf, 2nd Edition...
I'm a high handicapper/beginner, (also new to the forum), and this book has been very informative...

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
First off, i'd like to say hi. I'm new to the forum, im a begining golfer (started early this season). And im a highschool kid.

But, i am reading Hogan's Five Lessons due to how much it is brought up and recommended on this forum. For me, golf has been a natural process, i can count on one hand the amount of times ive shot over 100, and ive golfing once or twice daily for the last 2 months. Howecer im trying to devolop a swing i can depend on, no little "tips" or quick fixes, but a solid swing where i can tell where the ball is going before i look up.

I also have picked up Tiger Woods : How I Play Golf, not really as a instructional read but enterainment.

I have glanced a Jack Nicklaus book dealing with the mental and strategy parts of the game, very informative.

Lorax

Jun 23, 2006
I just read 'To The Linksland" by Bamberger while on Vacation

Not an instructional book but a good read nonetheless.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online