• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Happened?

namvet66

Aug 30, 2004
Oh My goodness what happened to any sign of a swing tonight? I went back to my lessons after a month of not taking them because the heat was just to much.

Now remember I played on a real course for the first time last Sat. and hit 112, which I was pretty proud of and hit some good shots with Callaway 3 wood. Most straight and carried probably my longest 180 yards.

Tonight the Pro had me use my driver (Which I have a hard time getting comfortable with) and a 7 iron.

Let me tell you I drove those balls all over the range......it was as if I had never had a club in my hands. So we started from scratch and he gave me some drills to do until we meet again next Thursday.

One drill is to keep my right heel off the ground to help my upper body (shoulders) swing. Let me tell you something it will be used over and over untill I improve my swing.

I ask the Pro about using the 3 wood to tee off and he said use what you are comfortable with, but remeber you have to get the ball down the fairway with some distance to get to the greens and make par ....so I will stay with my driver untill I get this figured out.

Thanks for letting me vent I needed. I am playing again this Sat. and we will have to see.

Namvet66

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Vet,

I'm no pro, but i did take alot of lessons from one. And, i did practice alot of what I learned.

When i first started my lessons, i only used a 7 iron. Plain and simple. If you learn to hit a 7 iron 140, you're in great shape. 140+140+140=420, which is an average par 4. One putt and you're gold, two putts and you're playing bogey golf, which ain't bad.

My grandfather never did hit a driver. He hit 3 wood for years and years until he was 65, then we bought him a "Deuce" from Callaway. It's basically a strong 3 wood, but isn't quite a driver in terms of loft. He loves it, and hammers it as well.

The worst thing you can do at this point, and I know from experience, is get frustrated. Save that for later. There's plenty of time to get ticked off at yourself in the future. For now, take golf at face value, and have fun with it. Sometimes, when my game goes on vacation, i go to the range with the intention of hitting good, solid shots, but being inventive and making it fun. I say to myself "you know, i'm just gonna grab a wedge and lob some balls near that 50 yard marker, see if i can hit it." Now, i can hit a wedge 135, but just flipping them out there makes me think, but keeps me from fundamentals like straight left arm, hips through, head quiet, strong hands, ect. I just get those balls and flip them out. Make it sort of a game.

On a tangent, the course i was at today had a hockey net set up on the range as part of a fundraiser. They gave you three balls and if you hit the net, either on top or put one in, you got a sleeve of balls for a $5 donation. The tournament hadn't started, so i took a few go's. And, wouldn't you know it, i found myself sticking my wedges all over that net, without thinking of keeping my backswing level, finishing high, not pulling it, making sure the divot was right, ect. Moral of the story is, golf is easy if you make it easy. And by that i mean that getting frustrated makes it harder to clear your head and keep positive. I'm always the guy that says "Nice shot" to my playing partners, even if they come up 5 yards short of the green. They might be disappointed, but keeping a positive mind frame for the next chip is key.

Keep that chin up. That's the best advice anyone can give you when you're taking lessons and learning a new swing.

Now, take that 7 iron and get out there. When you start to complain how boring it is hitting just 7 irons, i'll tell you about the 8 days i had of hitting on the range and playing all my rounds with only my 7 iron and a putter. Now THAT'S boring! :D

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
You'll have good and bad days. No doubt you will get frustration on bad shots, and that will happen a lot. But as Rock mentions, it is just a game.
Sometimes, when I practice a lot and see no improvement, I take a break for some days. Then when I get back, I approach it differently, and find it is easier to swing.
Actually, I find that I need time to assimilate the swing. And it may just be time without doing anything. It's like learning the tune of a song. You don't quite get it at first. But after some time, it just goes on automatic.
And I should work on my analogies, they suck... :)

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
without thinking of keeping my backswing level, finishing high, not pulling it, making sure the divot was right, ect. Moral of the story is, golf is easy if you make it easy. And by that i mean that getting frustrated makes it harder to clear your head and keep positive.

It's funny you say that. I was working on flop shots last night and it was the shots that I just stepped up to and hit that were the closest to the pin. Any time I was conscious of my takeaway or hand movement I'd hit it short or shanked it. Gotta love this game.

OP
N

namvet66

Aug 30, 2004
Thanks

A good night sleep and your encourageing word has help, thanks

I will not give up.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
buddha33 said:
It's funny you say that. I was working on flop shots last night and it was the shots that I just stepped up to and hit that were the closest to the pin. Any time I was conscious of my takeaway or hand movement I'd hit it short or shanked it. Gotta love this game.
You can say that again, Great1... If we could all just learn to get out of our own way...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A wise man once said:

"In golf, the only ass you have to kick is your own".

So true.

See, i'd be really good if it wasn't for my swing and my mental approach. :rolleyes:

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.