• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What happens to the bounce of a wedge if I add loft

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I am committed to replacing my current 52* and 58* wedges with Vokey spin milleds. Unfortunately they don't come in 52*. 54* is closest.

I can never keep straight as to whether I am increasing or decreasing the bounce if I get the 54 delofted to 52. Thanks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Down is decrease, up is increase. What are the irons you are playing? Adding a blade, like a 695MB PW or a 48* Vokey would be pretty cool IMO, then you would have a nice setup to the 54*.
icon10.gif

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Down is decrease, up is increase. What are the irons you are playing? Adding a blade, like a 695MB PW or a 48* Vokey would be pretty cool IMO, then you would have a nice setup to the 54*.
icon10.gif

Thanks for the answer.

I have Titleist PM731s. They are a limited edition set that they made only lefthanded. The PM was for Phil Mickelson, before he switched to Callaway and apparently they were made to his specs.

The 3, 4 and 5 irons are cavity backs, the 6 and 7 are mostly blades with a little crease in the back, and the 8, 9 and PW are straight blades. At the time, Mickelson was using a mix of three sets. The loft of the PW is 47* and I like it and don't plan on changing it.

I could probably get it bent to 48* and then bend the 54* to 53 and just add the 58. I really don't like gaps in this area of my bag.

I do carry a 73* wedge, which sounds crazy, but it comes in handy a couple of times per round. It is really great for "trouble" wedge shots, such as short sided bunker shots or 40 or 50 yard shots to a tight pin.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Oh, ok. Have you hit just a regular Vokey? I wouldn't want any more spin out of a gap wedge personally, it already spins a too much on a near full shot.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Oh, ok. Have you hit just a regular Vokey? I wouldn't want any more spin out of a gap wedge personally, it already spins a too much on a near full shot.

Good advice again. Hadn't thought of that. Yes, it is just a regular Vokey. At least five years old. The grooves are starting to cave in.

🔥 Latest posts