• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Hybrid?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I'm thinking of getting a hybrid or two to replace my 3 & maybe 4 iron. My 2 iron will be staying in the bag though.

I have been looking around and like the looks of the Wilson Dh6 mainly because it comes with the Aldila NVS which is a shaft I like and the head is a little shorter front to back than most hybrids.

I'm looking for recomendations on what Hybrid/shaft combo you have used and how you like them?

Cheers MG

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I picked up an Adams Idea A2 20* hybrid with an NV 85 gram Stiff shaft. Once I got used to hitting a hybrid, I've been pleased with my choice.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get the NVS in an Adams...there's an 18* on ebay right now with NVS 75 Stiff shaft. Not that you want an 18*, just an example of the NVS.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Nickent 3DX DC Ironwoods are the number one hybrid on the National tour and number three on the PGA. It's winter in Wisconsin so haven't hit mine yet.:) I've got the standard (UST made SR2) graphite regular shaft in them.

http://www.nickentgolf.com/pr_iw_3dx_dc-01.shtml

There a new brand on me. I will take a look around some golf shops to see if anyone over here stocks them and i'll give it a try in the nets. Man how perfectly done is the blokes hair on the website, that's got to be a wig?

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Have to be honest and say I'd be lost without my Cleveland Halos. Tried several others, including a couple of experiments with Nike CPRs (whose stock shaft, rather than the upgraded iRod some have in, was the worst shaft I've ever used) and tried plenty of others out on the range or driving cage, but never found anything as easy to hit as the Halos. Even better value now they're dropping down to around $100 too.

Not sure they'd have the workability better players than me would want, though.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Paul:

I like the Wilson you speak of. If you're looking for it new I could sell ya one from the shop along with those other things.....

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Was looking at the Wilson site for specs on these and noticed they also use the NVS shaft in their drivers. These guys must be doing their homework because this is the best shaft I've ever hit and their putting it on their clubs as standard. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've got the Taylor Made Rescue Mid with the Aldila NV shaft...superb club...22 degree.

One caution though about the hybrids. They will often have a single number on the bottom of the club like '4' which ostensibly tells you the iron that the club replaces. Ignore this as the hybrid will most likely hit it considerably farther than the number on the club.

One of the reasons is the shaft. I have standard steel shafts in my Titleist irons. I can hit a 4 iron (which I do have in my bag as my longest iron) approximately 190-195.

My TM RM hybrid says '4' on the bottom and I can hit it 205-215.

So the key is demo, demo, demo mulitple clubs at a well marked range so you can really dial in the distance you are looking for from your particular choice....

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've got the Taylor Made Rescue Mid with the Aldila NV shaft...superb club...22 degree.

One caution though about the hybrids. They will often have a single number on the bottom of the club like '4' which ostensibly tells you the iron that the club replaces. Ignore this as the hybrid will most likely hit it considerably farther than the number on the club.

One of the reasons is the shaft. I have standard steel shafts in my Titleist irons. I can hit a 4 iron (which I do have in my bag as my longest iron) approximately 190-195.

My TM RM hybrid says '4' on the bottom and I can hit it 205-215.

So the key is demo, demo, demo mulitple clubs at a well marked range so you can really dial in the distance you are looking for from your particular choice....

At the moment I carry a 2 iron, 4 -pw, gw, sw, lw, driver, 4 wood & putter as my 14 clubs.

I like the 2 iron from the tee but not from fairway. I was thinking about a 3 & 4 hybrid instead of the 2 iron and LW.

This will bridge the 195 - 4 iron to the 235 - 4 wood gap. The 4 iron will be staying like you say the 4 hybrid will go futher.

Although I must admit I've had my head turned by the new Mizuno MP fly high as a 2 iron replacement, may get this and a 4 iron hybrid replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160047631507&rd=1&rd=1

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
I tried the bridgestone, taylormade, callaway and king cobra. I found the cobra baffler to be the easiest and the carry distance is very consistent. I have the 20degree in steel nippon stiff. This thing gets the ball up very easily.

Good luck with your search. so many choices.....

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
At the moment I carry a 2 iron, 4 -pw, gw, sw, lw, driver, 4 wood & putter as my 14 clubs.

I like the 2 iron from the tee but not from fairway. I was thinking about a 3 & 4 hybrid instead of the 2 iron and LW.

This will bridge the 195 - 4 iron to the 235 - 4 wood gap. The 4 iron will be staying like you say the 4 hybrid will go futher.

Although I must admit I've had my head turned by the new Mizuno MP fly high as a 2 iron replacement, may get this and a 4 iron hybrid replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160047631507&rd=1&rd=1
I'd pick up a 20deg. hybrid (I love my Nickent 3DX DC) to replace the 2 iron and leave the LW in the bag

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
I have a Ben Hogan 4 hybrid, reg flex graphite, after trying other makes. This is the first one which really performs the way a hybrid should, that I have tried. I'm sure all the main brands are excellent, depending on your needs, wants and skill level.

🔥 Latest posts