• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What "interesting" ideas could you suggest for a ball marker??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
On another forum, an argument developed over whether or not a concrete block could be used as a ball marker. And, other than adding some extra weight to your carry bag, the Rules of Golf would allow such. In fact, most anything could be used as a ball marker. So... for you snowed in Northerners... what are some "unique" ideas for ball markers?

• Maybe I'll take a bag full of water balloons. If they're the long and skinny ones, I could use one to line up my putt. Then, so I didn't have to bend over and pick up a coin, I'd just tap the water balloon with my putter. The green would get some added irrigation. That would be a "green" idea!!!
  • Maybe I'll have the wife fix some PB&J sandwiches tomorrow. Cut diagonally, they could be used to line up putts... then consumed before getting to the next tee box.
The actual Rule that pertains is pasted below.

20-1/16 Method Used to Mark Position of Ball

Q. The Note to Rule 20-1 provides that “the position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball.” Is a player penalized if he uses an object that is not similar to a ball-marker or small coin to mark the position of his ball?

A. No. The provision in the Note to Rule 20-1 is a recommendation of best practice, but there is no penalty for failing to act in accordance with the Note.

Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

• placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;

• using a tee;

• using a loose impediment;

• scratching a line, provided the putting green is not tested (Rule 16-1d) and a line for putting is not indicated (Rule 8-2b). As this practice may cause damage to the putting green, it is discouraged.

However, under Rule 20-1 it is necessary to physically mark the position of the ball. Reference to an existing mark on the ground does not constitute marking the position of a ball. For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green.

When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player’s stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed. (Revised)

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1471844-->

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The forum might say one thing, the PGA says another.

One played got penalized for using his hotel key as a marker, forgot who, but he did.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I use the Bahamas dime. I brought back a bunch of them. The Bahamas has the best coins. This coin is the size of a nickel.

a128.192.145.172_foreign11_69bi10.jpg

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
And for once in his lonely life, FAT finds a use for that old condom in his wallet.

That might make a quite useful multi-purpose golf tool.
  1. Use if for a ball mark on the green.
  2. The circular "roll" could allow you to sit your ball on it, like a tee, on par 3's.
  3. The corners of the foil packet could be used as groove cleaners on your irons.
  4. When caught in a rain storm, unroll it and use as a bag cover. (You can see I'm used to always having the XXXX Large size in tow.)
  5. If you happen to suffer from a snake bite on the course, use it as a tournequet.
Wonder if we could seel that idea to Callaway or Cameron? Too bad the PGA Show is already over. Could have set up a booth and investigated whether or not the idea had any interest.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
In the 60s there was a PGA pro named Brian Barnes who was an original "Party Animal"...he used to get a beer buzz before and during rounds of golf...

During one televised tournament, he was ahead by 4-5 strokes and decided to mark his ball with a half empty bottle of Budweiser.

His decision angered the PGA, got a lot of criticism from the sports writers...but was enjoyed by those in the gallery...and more importantly, the guys at Budweiser who SPONSORED the event!

Incidentally,Technically, you can mark your ball....with another ball.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Incidentally,Technically, you can mark your ball....with another ball.

Really?! LOL!

but doesn't it have to be something that doesn't get in the way of other players' balls? Isn't that the point? I don't have my rulebook handy to look it up.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
but doesn't it have to be something that doesn't get in the way of other players' balls? Isn't that the point? I don't have my rulebook handy to look it up.

Yes that is technically the 'point of it' but as Limpalong quoted from the rule book it is a 'recommendation of best practice' to use a coin or ball marker but you certainly don't have too. You can take your shoe off and mark with that, or pop a lens out of your reading / sunglasses. This may get you a few looks from your playing partners but is by no means illegal.

I've been known to use a beer bottle lid if I don't have a coin on me. And with my mates there is NEVER a shortage of beer bottle lids floating around in our bags...

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online