• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What iron sets have you had in the past and what do you have now?

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I started with a cheap box set from the Sports Authority.

From there I went to a set of Nike Slingshots. They were a good step up from my first set but quickly realized they were not the right club for me as my game was progressing rapidly at that stage. I would say they were a great set of clubs for a 15 handicap.

From there I went to Titleist 690mb with Rifle 6.0 shafts. Absolutley awesome feeling clubs. It was a huge adjustment going from Nike Slingshots to these. The yardages were way off (the slingshots were much longer). The 690mb also had a much higher ball flight. I couldn't be happier with them and am keeping an eye out for an identical new set for when I wear these out.

I also picked up a set of Titleist 755 irons. Got them real cheap on eBay. These are my Florida set and will come back north in the spring as a backup set. These play very similarly to the 690mb but lack any of the marvelous feel that the 690mb has. Ball flight is slightly left of target compared to the 690mb. I would rate these a good backup set but definately not a replacement for a soft forged club.

What have you all played in the past and what do you have now?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
First set was some early 80's Wilson X31 forged blades (still have them, put new grips on last year), followed by Wilson Staff Tour Blade FG-17's. Then had a set of Toski Perfect Match's built, which have now been re-shafted with Nippon 950's and are the set I keep at the beach.

Didn't buy irons for years, and then bought and sold:

TM rac OS2's
Mizuno MX-23's
Bridgestone J33 cb's

and finally, the Ping I3's I'm playing now.

No plans to buy more irons, but doesn't mean it won't happen!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My first set was ping knockoffs. :D i3's if I recall correctly, I try not to think too much about Ping clubs if I can help it. I gave them to my cousin.

After that I bought a set of Cobra 2300 irons from GG. My first and only retail golf purchase. These served me well for a year or two. Then I did a straight up trade for my next set.

Next was Nike Pro Combo's. These looked the best, felt the softest, and were just the best. lol I bought my mp-30's while I still had these in the bag, and they were nearly equal IMO, the 30's just a touch more forgiving but a little harsher feeling. The Pro Combo's are at my buddies house, after a long series of trades.

Right now I'm building a set of mp-14's. My fitting method is sort of based on TLT numbers but reworked a little bit. MOI matched.

If the mp-14's are good they will replace the mp-30's and I will buy the Pro Combo's back from my friend and do the same fitting technique.

edit: now that I've thought about it a little more, as soon as the mp-14's are finished I'm getting those Pro Combo's back. I don't care if I have to kill my buddy to get them. :D

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Originally had a box set of Wilson Matrix.

Then upgraded to Wilson FatShaft.

Then upgraded to MacGregor M565's.
And had them reshafted.

Then upgraded to Mizuno MP-30's.

Then sidestepped to Wishon 555C/M's.

Then bought a set of Nakashima NP-1's.

Also bought a set of MacGregor NVG2 Mids.

Then got another set of Wishons, 550C/M.

Got a set of Maltby Logic Pro's for free, basically.

Then just bought a set of Mizuno MP-60's :) !!!!

This is all within 3 years, and MOST of it is within the last 18 months.

Currently I own: NVG2 Mid, NP-1, Wishon 550, Wishon 555, Maltby Logic Pro, and MP-60's.

I never played the NVG2s, or the NP-1's. The 550's and the MP-60's still haven't ever been to my residence.

edit: I forgot; I had a set of Nike Slingshot in there at some point, which I played for about 2 days.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
started with a cheap set of dicks specials with graphite shafts :( didn't work so good. from there i had a guy build me a set of component clubs that worked for awhile from there i only had a couple. i went with a used set of TM RAC MB's they were nice and from there i had the man Ken at victory golf build me my combo Miura's. that ill have forever ;)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Cheap ass set of Acuitys from Dicks, sold em to a buddy at work.

Then picked up my Cleveland Launchers from The Golf Shack.

Thought I would try a set of Callaway X18's from Callaway pre-owned, but the shafts were worse than rebar & totally wrong for me. Sold em off on ebay.

Went back to my Clevelands & have been very happy with them, my game isn't solid enough for me to go to a blade any time soon.

Finally picked up a set of Maruman Birdie Cups a couple months ago, not a cavity back but not a true blade either. Haven't used them anyplace except the range for now.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Your "Florida set"?? Must be rough!

Started out with a cheapy Wal-Mart Wilson Pro Staffs, regular graphite shafts.

After that I had King Cobra II Offset irons.

Taylor Made RAC OS

Now I'm playing Titleist AP2.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
This thread is just asking for trouble....

Started off with some kiddy clubs that I got when I was 7 or so. (19 now) still have these clubs in the basement. "kool cat's" or something.

Women's Knight sets from Dick's Sporting Goods (have these too)
Taylormade SuperSteel Burners (sold)
Cleveland TA1 Form Forged Blades (should've never sold these)
Adams Tight Lies GT Tours(in my closet)
Wilson Pi5's (sold)
Maxfli Revolutions (my current gamers...but they're headed to the closet)
These just arrived today....I'm in love. (don't tell my better half)
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0483.JPG

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Those Tour Premium's are sexy!

I doubt I can remember, but I'll try.

Started with a knock-off set
Cleveland TA-5
Cleveland TA-7
Cleveland TA-7 Tour/ TA-2 Combo
Cleveland CG4 Tour
KZG Forged Cavities
KZG Forged Evolutions (2 sets)
KZG Forged ZO's
Titleist 690.MB
Tourstage Z101

Is that it? I'm almost ashamed.

Wish I'd kept? The Tourstages and the CG4 tours.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Started in 7th grade with a ladies starter set from B & G Golf. They were called "Styleists". LOL

Then had some First Flights I played with in high school.
Then some Ram blades. (Had to edit to add these, forgot about them).
Then some Bob Toski's. They were gun metal color.

Then Mizuno blades. I believe they're called TP-9s. Bought them from Lefties Only online. They told me they were a left handed model sold in Japan. They were/are great irons, though now about 15 years old I think. I still have them.

Then I bought a set of Titleist 690MB's. Really liked those when I was playing well. I took a couple summers off and had a few people tell me I should buy something more forgiving because I was getting old and fat.

So I bought some TM Tour Burners last year. Shovels. They aren't too bad, but once I started striking it pretty well near the end of last summer, I wanted to work the ball, and I can't hit a damn cut with them at all.

I'm going to get the 690's re-gripped and give 'em a go again this Spring. I like the looks of AP2's, but I doubt the wife is going for that purchase after I surprised her last summer with the Tour Burners.

Kevin

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Hmmmmm, let me see.

1st set, Ram Blades, I was 13 or 14 at the time, 49 now. I played these for years, till I stopped playing golf for a while. I'm told my cousin I gave them to still has them crammed off in a corner somewhere.

2nd set, Northweastern blades I picked up in a yard sale to take the game back up, couldn't find my old swing, let me oldest son use them. Who knows where they are now?

3rd set, Acuity Turbo Max, gave these to my youngest son, then a nephew.

4th set, Cleveland HiBore hybrid irons. Salesman at Edwin Watts talked me into these before my trip to Panama City to play the Nicklaus course. I hated them from the get go. Sold them to a guy for his wife.

5th set, Srixon i506's, love them, still bag them.

6th set, Hogan Director blades, bought as an experiment, still have them and drag them out every so often.

7th set, haven't bought these yet, but I really want a set of TM RAC mb's.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Traded an old S&W 38 Special for a set of MacGregor MT's with aluminum shafts.
Replaced by a set of Pinnacle irons by Achusnet.
Replaced by a set of Ping clones by Dynacraft, glued together by an old man who ran a local body shop... and did some club-building in his spare time.
Replaced by a set of Titty DCI's.
Replace by a set of 845s Armours.
Replaced by a set of Zing BeCu's.
Replaced by a set of Pinseekers.
Replaced by a set of Tony Penna's.
Replaced by a set of Zing 2's.
Replaced by a set of Callaway Big Bertha's.
Replaced by a set of ISI BeCu's.
Replaced by a set of ISI Nickels.
Replaced by a set of Eye 2+ WRX.
Replaced by a set of Callaway X12 ProSeries.
Replaced by a set of Callaway X14 ProSeries.
Replaced by another set of ISI Nickels.
Replaced by a set of I3 Blades, WRX.
Replaced by a set of I3+ Blades.
Replaced by another set of ISI Nickels.
Replaced by a set of MP33's.
Replaced by a set of Titty 690mb's.
Replaced by a set of Titty 690(dot)mb's.
Replaced by a set of MP32's.
Replaced by the current set of Eye 2+ BeCu's.

I think that covers most of the sets that were in the bag for any length of time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yikes.

Ping knockoffs
Callaway Big Berthas
Callaway X12's
Ping ISI
Ping Zing 2 (worst irons ever)
Callaway X16 Pro
Mizuno MP-33
Mizuno MP-30
Nakashima NP-1
Mizuno MP-30
Nakashima NP-1 (don't ask)

I've bought several sets of irons, but never hit them. Macgregor, Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, etc. Most recently, a set of Mizuno MP-57's that are left handed. :D

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Dunlop Hand-Me-Downs.
Cobra Gravity Backs
Ping i-3s
Titleist DCI 990
Mizuno MP-33

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I was a huge baseball player when I was little (bat lefty, throw righty). My dad bought me a left handed set when I was five. They were to Top Flite crap sold at walmart. After a couple years of not improving, I borrowed my grandpa's right handed Mizunos and tore shit up. Bought myself a set of used 845s and thought nothing could be better. Junior year in high school, my uncle gave me his Eye 2s. Those were awesome, well, until my current P2s!

🔥 Latest posts