• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What iron sets have you had in the past and what do you have now?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I've only had a few sets in my relatively short golf career. But some day I hope to have as many sets of irons in my closet as the rest of you. :laugh:
Here is the list;

- I started playing golf borrowing a set of clubs off a family friend. They were Fazers I think?? He ended up giving me the set for a 40oz bottle of rye.

- My very first set that were my own and could be used any time were Tommy Armour 835 Silver Scots.

- I then switched to King Cobra 3100 i/H irons.

- I'm now using Mizuno MP60's and they will be with me for a very long time!!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
1986-1993 Tru Form Inc 3,5,7,9 (junior set)
1993-1996 MacGregor XTRA 3-PW (first adult set)
1996-1997 Star blades 3-PW (grandfather's old set I played my junior year after he died)
1997-2007 Cleveland VAS+ 3-LW (ugly, but great clubs)
2007-2007 MacGregor 1025cm 3-PW (pretty, but beyond my skill level after taking time off)
2007-2007 MacGregor m565 3-6i (helped cover up lack of skill)
2007-2009 Wishon 560mc 6-AW (great irons)
2008-____ Wishon 770cfe 5i (ugly, but so easy to hit well)
soon-____ Wishon 870ti 6-7i (like the 770 but with less offset)

the club hoing began in 2007 which just so happens to coincide with joining this forum

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Started my golfing career (1993) with some PGF Status blades that were older than I am / was and belonged to my dad. Next on the block (1996) were some Prosimmon DRK III's. Those were great clubs. Grabbed my old man's Ping Eye 2's in '98 when he gave up golf temporarily, before going back to the DRK's. Traded those in in 2000 for some second hand PGF Southpaws.

From the start my folks said that I could get some new clubs measured up for me when I hit single figures (knowing it would take me a few years to get there) and I did so in 2002. Conveniently my big bro was working in a golf store at the time so I got my current DCI 990's and have had them ever since.

Future wise, the AP2's with Project X 5.5's are calling my name. Hope to have them by the end of this year....

:smilie_ti through and through now! Maybe some Mizuno's....

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I started with a cheap box set from the Sports Authority.

From there I went to a set of Nike Slingshots. They were a good step up from my first set but quickly realized they were not the right club for me as my game was progressing rapidly at that stage. I would say they were a great set of clubs for a 15 handicap.

From there I went to Titleist 690mb with Rifle 6.0 shafts. Absolutley awesome feeling clubs. It was a huge adjustment going from Nike Slingshots to these. The yardages were way off (the slingshots were much longer). The 690mb also had a much higher ball flight. I couldn't be happier with them and am keeping an eye out for an identical new set for when I wear these out.

I also picked up a set of Titleist 755 irons. Got them real cheap on eBay. These are my Florida set and will come back north in the spring as a backup set. These play very similarly to the 690mb but lack any of the marvelous feel that the 690mb has. Ball flight is slightly left of target compared to the 690mb. I would rate these a good backup set but definately not a replacement for a soft forged club.

What have you all played in the past and what do you have now?

Wilson Staff Blades: early 70's until Ping came out with Eye 2's
Ping Eye 2's in '84
TM Rac LT's in 2004

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
My first set was a box set of Dunlops. When I began playing more often I quickly upgraded to a set of Taylormade LCG tours, then Tommy Armour V25 Evos, and Now I have the Nike forged blades.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Started with King Cobra irons
Power play hybrids(do not ask)
Taylormade RAC OS2's
Mizuno MP-32's (got where I could really hit these good, but I got tendoninitis and had to send them down the road)
TM Tour Burners
And the current set of MP-200's(I LOVE these irons, there is nothing like a forged club)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
McGregor Miurfield forged blades starting out (yikes) many years ago.

Wilson Staff cavity back

Ping Eye2 knockoffs

Cleveland VAS (ugly but worked good)

Ping G5's

Ping S59's currently

I don't change irons very often. This is over 40 years!!

:D

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I started with a Northwestern kid's set with like 5 clubs.
Moved up to a set of Tommy Armour 767's that were custom built I played throughout high school.
I bought a set of Wilson FatShaft Tourcast off the rack after I got a job.
After college and I got a real job I bought a set of Taylor Made 200's off the rack.
I bought a set of MP30's I played for about 8 rounds last spring......sold them went back to the 200's
I just sold the 200's and bought a set of Cleveland TA2's I am working to get ready for the spring. I have played them twice with S400's in them and went back to back 82's. Looking forward to the shaft change.
Not bad only 6 sets. :D

Jason

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that in 45 years I've only had 5 sets of irons. I'm afraid it might get me kicked off this board. Anyway....

1. 1964 - $30 starter half set bought at a discount department store in Montana. No idea what brand was on them, but nobody would ever have heard of them anyway.

2. 1975 - Full set (3I-PW) of Golden Ram forged (with laminated maple woods) - no GI irons around yet at that time.

3. 1988 - Set of McGregor RPM cast manganese bronze irons (2I-SW)

4. 2003 - King Cobra 3400 (4I-GW)

5. 2009 - Titleist AP2 (5I-PW)

For the last 2 sets I started mixing in various after market wedges, so the bottom end of the sets changed around a bit. I also played around with building my own clubs in the mid 90's, but the experiment was a failure so I don't actually count those in the mix. There were also extended periods between 1964 and 1985 when I played little or no golf.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Mine are as follows

Mizzy Astron Gen2 - played with these from the mid 80s up to late 1990s. This was before I came here obviously.....

Taylor Made RACs - approx 2002-4 - used these for 2 years while I got back into golf and thought they were a decent set

Titliest 690cb
- 2005 - 7 , lovely irons but then I found...

Ben Hogan FTX - 2007-now - softer with a wow factor over the 690s.

Also have a set of Hogan Redline blades that I practice with and play the odd casual round with in the summer, beautiful but demanding.

Have experimented with MacGregor 1025cms/Mizzy MP60s but good as both these are they could dislodge my gamers.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
1st clubs I owned were a mix and match set. Since then and mostly in the last few years in No particular order:

Cougar Rhythms
Tommy Armour 845s
Ping Zing
Ram FX OS
Wilson Fat Shafts
Zevo Z1 FB
Precept EC 603 TP
Dynacraft Prophet CNC forged
Golfsmith g40
Wilson Staff Nc6
Adams Idea Pro Forged
Acer XP Pro
Acer XP 905 Tour
Maltby MCC/MMB combo
Wishon 705w2
Taylormade RAC OS2
Golfsmith P2 TT Lite XL

and the ones I have now which I LOVE.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
1. Tommy Armour 845

2. Callaway X-14

3. Callaway X-18

4. Wilson Staff Pi5

I thought I was a bit of a ho, but compared to some of you lot (looks at limpalong) I'm not that bad. :emot-ange I've got a couple sets of old blades that I bought out of curiousity, but they never come out on the course with me.

I plan to get a set this year. Other than shaft flex, my Pi5s are not fitted, and I'm fascinated by the TLT/MOI matching thing. I'm going to go see a local fitter who is a Wishon dealer, and see what he has to say.

🔥 Latest posts