• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What irons to buy?

drzzz

Sep 9, 2006
Country
United States United States
I have been playing Ping Eye 2 irons since I was in high school (class of 90). I was a 6-7 handicap back then, but have only played a handfull of times per year for the last ten years. I am probably a 10-12 handicap now and am considering new irons now that I have more time to play. Any recs on a premium set of cavity-back irons that maximize forgiveness, spin, and shot-making/shot-working ability? Also interested in wedges. Just FYI, I play a Great Big Bertha II driver with a 7.5 loft and a stiff shaft, also a GBBII 3-wood with a stiff shaft. Also, I was custom fitted for the Ping Eye 2's -- I am 6'3" and play the standard lie, but have a shaft that is 1/2 inch longer than standard.
Thanks!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'd keep playing the eye 2's.

Actually no I probably wouldn't, if you have cash to burn look for some quality forged players cavities, most of the major OEM's make them.

I'm a little biased toward the MP-60, but Titlest make a great forged iron, and the Cally X-Tours are awesome too.

I'd start with those three and work from there - be prepared to spend about 800 if you want new.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Irons from the 90's are still equal to most current. They just can't change them only so much. The Eye2's were some of the best Pings ever made. Just ask sssmokin.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Irons from the 90's are still equal to most current. They just can't change them only so much. The Eye2's were some of the best Pings ever made. Just ask sssmokin.

Keep in mind that WBL and ssmokin' are brainwashed Ping advocates.

They just don't get it.

Wait, Ping Eye 2's in your bag? Forget everything I just said. :prop:

R35

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Sorry Rock, im gonna have to abandon you now too. Ping ISI-K's are in the bag. Just stick with the Pings, the technology is not that much different. Your woods are fine too. Do you have a decent set of wedges and a putter that works reasonably well? If not, get those. If so, use the money for a few rounds of golf:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sorry Rock, im gonna have to abandon you now too. Ping ISI-K's are in the bag. Just stick with the Pings, the technology is not that much different. Your woods are fine too. Do you have a decent set of wedges and a putter that works reasonably well? If not, get those. If so, use the money for a few rounds of golf:)

Just wait a week. This post will be editted to reflect Neal's bag changes.

"The TM/Miz/Titty's/Cobras/KZG/PRGR irons are in the bag now..."

:D

R35

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Im too lazy to edit my post, but the SE 600 combos and the Pings have been pretty solidly in the bag lately. I won the club Championship with the Cobra SS Forged, but they're so worn down. Those are the three sets of irons which i have not wavered from in quite a while

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Whoah whoah whoah, 7.5 degree driver? Say wha?

As far as irons those Ping Eye2s are really nice, the only upgrade I could recommend would be to get something more aggresive if you found it necessary.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.